Echo CS 400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't you mean buy a Stihl or Husky pro model for big bucks, the rest of thier lineup has way less qualty than Echo has and less power per cc. Steve

Yep, buy a pro saw. 361 at least. The homeowner saws are crap unless you mod and port the #### out of them. I disagree with way less quality. I run Echos often (not by choice). I don't like them. There is a reason why Stihl and Husky are used for work every day.

There is a reason why Stihl and Husky are used for work every day.
Marketing? There were an awful lot of people that swore by Harley-Davidson that would never touch "Jap crap rice rocket" stuff even though new Harleys would leak oil right in the showroom. I fully acknowledge that Stihl & Husky own 80% or more of the market share for chain saws but disagree that's it's simply because they are better than the Dolmars or Echos as a brand. I run 5 different Echo products regularly on my farm with the oldest being 12 years old this year. I have not been disappointed with a single one, had great service, and have spent roughly $100 on repairs in total for non-wear & tear items during that 12 year period. I don't recommend buying from a big box store unless you are a serious DIY'er but if you have a decent local dealer I'd say Echos are good tools for a decent price.

Yep, buy a pro saw. 361 at least. The homeowner saws are crap unless you mod and port the #### out of them. I disagree with way less quality. I run Echos often (not by choice). I don't like them. There is a reason why Stihl and Husky are used for work every day.

Over here my Stihl and Husky saw sit while my Echo's get worked, my 385xp does get worked some, has a long bar. Every Echo saw is EPA rated for 300 hours, that says a lot about the internal quality, can't be said for most of the the Stihl and Husky saws. Steve

Marketing? There were an awful lot of people that swore by Harley-Davidson that would never touch "Jap crap rice rocket" stuff even though new Harleys would leak oil right in the showroom. I fully acknowledge that Stihl & Husky own 80% or more of the market share for chain saws but disagree that's it's simply because they are better than the Dolmars or Echos as a brand. I run 5 different Echo products regularly on my farm with the oldest being 12 years old this year. I have not been disappointed with a single one, had great service, and have spent roughly $100 on repairs in total for non-wear & tear items during that 12 year period. I don't recommend buying from a big box store unless you are a serious DIY'er but if you have a decent local dealer I'd say Echos are good tools for a decent price.

I'm talking day to day use. Not 12 years on the farm use. Making a living with a saw is different from running it when you need to.

Over here my Stihl and Husky saw sit while my Echo's get worked, my 385xp does get worked some, has a long bar. Every Echo saw is EPA rated for 300 hours, that says a lot about the internal quality, can't be said for most of the the Stihl and Husky saws. Steve

I could give a damn about the EPA. Thats how long their choked up crap will run before it starts puking higher emissions. It has nothing to do with quality of the machine. All I gotta say is clamshell and plastic. Have at it.

I could give a damn about the EPA. Thats how long their choked up crap will run before it starts puking higher emissions. It has nothing to do with quality of the machine. All I gotta say is clamshell and plastic. Have at it.

So what happens to the cheapo Stihl saws rated for 50 hours, common sence would say the internal engine is wearing out by then and they can't meet the EPA stanards anymore, we all know they run longer than that but they're not going to last as long as a 300 hour machine. Which one do you think will last longer a MS260 or a MS250. Steve

So what happens to the cheapo Stihl saws rated for 50 hours, common sence would say the internal engine is wearing out by then and they can't meet the EPA stanards anymore, we all know they run longer than that but they're not going to last as long as a 300 hour machine. Which one do you think will last longer a MS260 or a MS250. Steve

Since when does EPA compliance mean performance and longevity? Muffler Mod anyone? Woods Port? The bigger pro saws are not even compliant. The EPA has absolutly nothing to do with engine performance.

Since when does EPA compliance mean performance and longevity? Muffler Mod anyone? Woods Port? The bigger pro saws are not even compliant. The EPA has absolutly nothing to do with engine performance.

It wouldn't have anything to do with perforamce , but it sure would with longevity, quality of the internal engine. Steve

I just got done muff modding my latest burnt up CS400 off Ebay(yes they burn up when the limiter caps are still on) , a new ring , sanded P@C , have $85 in it. Cut times before muff modd with the carb adjusted good was 15 seconds, after muff mod 9 to 10 seconds. These saws really need a muff mod. Steve

Cs 450

Thanks for all the input."Bought a CS 450 off FleaBay. I haven't sratred it yet. I did remove the muff screen. Next I'll remove the limit caps. Any pics on a muff mod on one of these? I'll use Echo syn. oil & premimum fuel unless advised otherwised.:greenchainsaw:

Back