echo cs-440 vs stihl 026 comparo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
so i have a cs-440 and an 026.
the 026 impressed me the first time i ran it. i liked it. before i went to acres site i thought it was about 42cc. i now know that it is more like 49cc and the more i run it the more i realized that it really doesn't seem to cut much better than the cs-440 at 45cc.

the 026 will have a new carb in several days to solve a tuning issue.
after i get the carb on and get it tuned i was thinking of running the two saws side by side.
i figure i would weigh them full, sharpen both chains, run on the same mix, and time a cut in the same log. i will not be using the same bar and chain on both saws. this comparo is really for me to compare the saws as they are set up in my line up:) . the echo will be wearing an 18 wtih 33lg and the stihl a 16 with rsc
-edit- the echo has a slighlty opened muffler, i forgot that.

i figure they will run very close in 16" hardwood.

anyone care to speculate on the results?

i know the 026 is a legend and has a strong following, but lets keep it civil.:)

Last edited:
It looks like you will be making your judgements on chain speed. I have never ran a cs440 but I can tell you a properly tuned 026/260 is a mean little sob. I don't see the cs440 lasting near as long as a 026.........

Go Echo

I have a 260 and I can tell you that the Echo won't keep up with a 250. I cut with both and the 250 was faster through the cut than the Echo. No way it can hang with a properly running 260.

I doubt the echo will keep up with the Stihl, maybe since the Stihl is out of tune.... maybe.

I'm a big echo fan but I know the Echo is down on power on the 260. BTW 33sl is way slower than Oregon 20lp or probably anything else you could hang on there. If you hang a good chain and let the Echo self feed it can cut quite quick, quick enough for me anyway.

I doubt the echo will keep up with the Stihl, maybe since the Stihl is out of tune.... maybe.

I'm a big echo fan but I know the Echo is down on power on the 260. BTW 33sl is way slower than Oregon 20lp or probably anything else you could hang on there. If you hang a good chain and let the Echo self feed it can cut quite quick, quick enough for me anyway.

new carb will be installed and tuned on 026.
i will be using 33LG.

Last edited:
It looks like you will be making your judgements on chain speed. I have never ran a cs440 but I can tell you a properly tuned 026/260 is a mean little sob. I don't see the cs440 lasting near as long as a 026.........

Go Echo
no doubt the 026 is a mean little saw!

chain speed:
well, maybe. the 440 turns slower in the cut but it does seem to have a lot of torque. when new, it had 33sl saftey chain on it and i could stand on the poor little thing!

properly tuned:
thats what i'm aiming for with a new carb. i could have rebuilt the oem, but i didn't want to fool around. i will be setting max rpm with a tach.

no doubt the 026 is a mean little saw!

chain speed:
well, maybe. the 440 turns slower in the cut but it does seem to have a lot of torque. when new, it had 33sl saftey chain on it and i could stand on the poor little thing!

properly tuned:
thats what i'm aiming for with a new carb. i could have rebuilt the oem, but i didn't want to fool around. i will be setting max rpm with a tach.

I hope you are getting a 3 screw, if so, port/open the muffler. I have some pics if needed....

I hope you are getting a 3 screw, if so, port/open the muffler. I have some pics if needed....

does the muffler really need it?
this is an older 026 (beauty cyl and piston though). muffler doesn't have much substance. i had it off and it is almost empty. carb was quote, 'fully adjustable'. i assume 3 screw.

does the muffler really need it?
this is an older 026 (beauty cyl and piston though). muffler doesn't have much substance. i had it off and it is almost empty. carb was quote, 'fully adjustable'. i assume 3 screw.

Yes, my 2 woke up pretty good. There were 2 types of covers for the 026s, I have both but the pic is of the "2 hole" version. There were 2 holes that oem, you can see how much the area was opened.

The other version had "4 holes", I have this preschool colored in orange beside the "2 hole". All you do with the 4 holes is take out the area between them to make one long port.

attachment.php

The choked up 260s benifit more from these mods(with a 3 screw) but it helped my 026s.

Yes, my 2 woke up pretty good. There were 2 types of covers for the 026s, I have both but the pic is of the "2 hole" version. There were 2 holes that oem, you can see how much the area was opened.

The other version had "4 holes", I have this preschool colored in orange beside the "2 hole". All you do with the 4 holes is take out the area between them to make one long port.

The choked up 260s benifit more from these mods(with a 3 screw) but it helped my 026s.

i gotcha.
thanks for the pic and info!!!
i've got a four holer. too easy to cut out between them!!!!
i my have to do it just because it is so easy!:cheers:

i gotcha.
thanks for the pic and info!!!
i've got a four holer. too easy to cut out between them!!!!
i my have to do it just because it is so easy!:cheers:

No prob, I like helping.:)

Be sure to tune it with a tach afterwards, I picked up 2000 rpms. My stocker is set at 14K and with a 16" 3/8ths, it rips!

Latest posts

Back