Echo CS-500P or Redmax G5300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know there is a strong Echo following here on AS as well as the Husky faithful, which should encompass the Redmax. The Echo has benefitted from Shindaiwa technology and the Redmax appears to be similar to the Husky 353. There are some dealers offering both for a limited time at really good prices so I was wondering how do these compare?

What is the promo price on the G5300? The $399 promo on the CS-500P is a VERY GOOD deal on a very good saw. The G5300 is a Husq. 353/ Jonsered 2152 in a slightly different shade of red.

The cs500 weighs about what your 420 does and is a smooth running saw. I like the inboard clutch design of this model. The 5300 is a little heavier than the 500,but probably has a little more power.

I've run a cs500 and thought very highly of it. It's a snappy little saw that feels well balanced and coordinated. A nice nimble saw. I own a 600 and have been beyond pleased. My track record with echo is spotless, I would highly recommend them.

What is the promo price on the G5300? The $399 promo on the CS-500P is a VERY GOOD deal on a very good saw. The G5300 is a Husq. 353/ Jonsered 2152 in a slightly different shade of red.

The promo price on the G5300 is $415 and includes the case, cap and bottle of 2-stroke oil.

The 5300 is a Husky 353. That makes it a 346 with a slightly detuned cylinder. The 500P is a remade Shindaiwa 502, as I understand it. That makes it a well built saw, with split mag case and bolt on cylinder. I've not run a 500P, but from what I've seen, the 5300 will be a higher performance saw. With that said, I'm interested in checking out a 500P. They are very light for their size.

Almost bought the Redmax today. Looks the same as 353 but less money. $415 is much less than $778 for the 346xp. It might be mine on Monday:msp_w00t:

Almost bought the Redmax today. Looks the same as 353 but less money. $415 is much less than $778 for the 346xp. It might be mine on Monday:msp_w00t:

Absolutely, and still much cheaper than the $600 or so they want for a 353. Plus factor in fifty bucks for a case and another twenty plus for the oils and it looks really good.

Oh, and don't forget the all important cap. :msp_smile:

Got the G5300 a couple of weeks ago and already have 3 tanks of gas through it. Any body looking for a very well built saw in Canada should be looking @ this saw. It's all Husqvarna 353 including the exact cat muffler part # . The muffler is already turning brown from heat so it's got to go but this saw handles , and runs great for Etech . Indianspings was right about the 346xp body- I heard it falling over two blocks after picking it up:msp_rolleyes::msp_laugh:.It's not a 346xp but hey , for $300 less with tax and full chisel chain it's close enough for a guy that already has 576xpAT and the 288xp:msp_biggrin:

My first chainsaw purchase was a little top handle RedMax, which was after I had a RedMax weedeater for about a year. I really like these tools , but getting parts for them is a whole different matter! I finally found an internet source that gives excellent service, guess i can't give their name here though.

The cs500 weighs about what your 420 does and is a smooth running saw. I like the inboard clutch design of this model. The 5300 is a little heavier than the 500,but probably has a little more power.

The 5300 surely has more power, like 2.4kW vs. 2.1kW.

I don't know anything about the G5300, but I have run the CS-500P and it is a really nice saw. Smooth and light, and very precise construction. I came real close to buying one last year. I'd probably buy one if a deal presented itself, just because I know it will be a good dependable saw.

The Echo was more money @ the dealer and I wasn't willing to have another plastic clutch cover like the 137 Pouvarna. Huge selection of parts , stock & aftermarket for the 353 stopped me looking anymore @ the Echo

Got the G5300 a couple of weeks ago and already have 3 tanks of gas through it.

Congrats on the new saw! Rep sent! Good to hear you're enjoying your new toy. You know how fond we are of pictures on this site so please... post some!

The 5300 surely has more power, like 2.4kW vs. 2.1kW.

You put too much emphasis on rated horsepower. A simple muffler mod changes everything.

Echo doesn't respect their costumers enough to port their cylinders even halv decently, that's likely the main issue.....

True on all counts, but it would be interesting to see the Echo in real world use. HP is not the only issue. By way of example I spent this past Saturday cutting, thinning small stuff and felling/limbing a few smaller trees. I started the day with a 238se, and about ten cuts in I nicked some wire embedded in a tree, so rather than sharpening I swapped saws and finished the day with a ported Husqvarna 44. Both saws wear 13" bars, .325" chain, are of fairly similar dimensions, etc. Even though the 44 clearly makes more power than the 238, I was notably less productive with the 44 than I would have been with the 238. The slight difference in weight, the lower top-end RPM, and slower acceleration made a difference in how quickly I could work.

Back