Echo CS-500VL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
echo500VL004.jpg

echo500VL003.jpg

they are a great classic I thought I could sell it fast and make a few pennies but it will remain with me. they cut wood and sound really neat. PS the serial number is important too :msp_biggrin:

Contary to what some say Echo makes a good saw. The 500 I have may not be as fast as some 50cc saws but is as reliable as the sun rise.

echo500VL004.jpg

echo500VL003.jpg

they are a great classic I thought I could sell it fast and make a few pennies but it will remain with me. they cut wood and sound really neat. PS the serial number is important too :msp_biggrin:
The saw pictured here may very well be a recalled saw. The air filter on the recalled saws all have this type of air filter cover on them. Check your serial number and if it falls below a certain number Echo has a brand new saw waiting for you. I can't remember the cut off number, but if you search this site you can find it. I bought at an auction an old beat to hell 500vl that was missing the recoil and had a broken rear handle that wouldn't even run that fell in to required serial numbers and I received a new saw for it from the nearest Echo dealer. It took a couple weeks and the dealer knew nothing about the recall until he called Echo after I brought the old beater saw in wanting a new one. He thought I was nuts and I can't say that I blame him.

Last edited:
Echo will probably give you a new cs-500 if your serial number matches the recall. Some guy on here last year received a new cs-530 but they have since been discontinued.

Here is some more info from cpsc;
Cs-500VL Chain Saw Recalled by Echo

Interesting. I've always assumed it was my responsibility for the outcome when I disassembled/repaired a piece of machinery.

Hit most any saw flywheel with a BFH hard enough and it will fly apart.

I Had 2

I had two of the 500 EVL's, like noted above not the fastest saw around for the size but cranked on the third pull every time. i ran 20" b&c on them form firewood cutting worked great. but i had to modernize so i got a 510 and a 6400 Dolmar!!:msp_w00t:

So what model is the John Deere equivalent and did any of those fall under the recall?

Wow, how cheap would echo saws be if they didn't have to replace 33 year old ones with free new ones? Ya know part of the new purchase price on your new timber wolf goes towards this, right?

Wow, how cheap would echo saws be if they didn't have to replace 33 year old ones with free new ones? Ya know part of the new purchase price on your new timber wolf goes towards this, right?

Quit being a hater... How many of those saws do people actually turn in every year? And the echo price tag on a new one isn't nearly at their cost. If we had more accountable manufactures around we wouldn't have so much cheap junk that breaks all the time.

So what model is the John Deere equivalent and did any of those fall under the recall?

The John Deere version is a 55V.
As far as it falling under the recall. My Echo dealer is checking.
The JD has a different serial number series
I will post when I find out.
I have had mine forever and to be honest have never had to pull the flywheel
49.9 CC's and still starts 3-5 pulls

Even if it qualifies not sure I want to give it up

Pony

Last edited:
Echo 500 recall is everything up to 0023000. From what I've heard only 8500 units were made so... 0014500-0023000 maybe?

I guess the easy way is to look at the flywheel... If you look google search echo 500 recall one of the options is the echo website and it has a link to the original PDF for the recall with pics of the differences.

I'm more curious if any of the 55v's fell under the recall or not. I almost have to guess they didn't since the recall only lists the echo model # and not the John Deere model #.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back