Echo CS-520 questions/problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvanbek

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My saw cuts like crap; crooked and slow. the clutch got so hot it melted the cover. But I need a new cover, because apparently I overtightened the nuts that hold the bar on, because it split the metal of the sprocket guard plate. Could this be the cause of crooked cuts?

Also the CS-520 uses a .325 pitch chain. Can I/should I switch?

It seems you have a couple different issues. If it not cutting straight usually the chain is not sharpened properly or you could try a new bar. It seems you are cutting with the chain brake on for it to melt the cover. This would explain it cutting slow.

It seems you have a couple different issues. If it not cutting straight usually the chain is not sharpened properly or you could try a new bar. It seems you are cutting with the chain brake on for it to melt the cover. This would explain it cutting slow.
+1

Either that...or you're running the chain waaay tooo tight..!!

(stick with the .325..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

After I adjust the chain, I can still turn it by hand, so the brake is not on, and the chain is not too tight. It cuts small stuff fine, when I get into bigger stuff the bar gets stuck, it binds and doesn't cut. I think it was out of frustration that I held it wide open while the chain was not moving. Could be be the damaged cover is not preventing the bar from twisting, resulting in a curving cut?

OK..I have NO clue why your clutch cover is burned...with brake off and chain not too tight.

As for your saw cutting crooked..it's one of two things...or both possibly.

Your bar is bent..or..your chain cutters are sharpened more on one side than the other.

Take chain off and invert bar..re-install chain and cut..does it cut angling the opposite way..??
If..SO...your bar is bent..need to replace the bar..!!

If..NOT..your chain's cutters are sharper on one side than the other..!!
Sharpen the chain again..or have it done..to get both directional cutters the same..!!
:cheers:
J2F

After I adjust the chain, I can still turn it by hand, so the brake is not on, and the chain is not too tight. It cuts small stuff fine, when I get into bigger stuff the bar gets stuck, it binds and doesn't cut. I think it was out of frustration that I held it wide open while the chain was not moving. Could be be the damaged cover is not preventing the bar from twisting, resulting in a curving cut?

Wonder if maybe you got a narrow kerf chain on a standard kerf bar? What chain are you using? Bar numbers?

Sounds like your chain is super dull, wore out drive spocket or whatever. Dont be forcing a saw when it doesn't cut good, figure out the problem and fix it then you'll enjoy cutting. Cs520 Echo saws cut real good. Steve

It is sharp, but the left cutters are getting shorter than the right, because I sharpen them more to make up for the right curve.

I have another problem, the bar oil leaks out when stored.

OK..I have NO clue why your clutch cover is burned...with brake off and chain not too tight. .....

Well, afterall it is an Echo.....:laugh::laugh:

That aside, it could be a slipping clutch, because of worn shoes, or (most likely) springs that need to be changed.

The crooked cutting could be because of an unevenly sharpened chain, rails that are more worn on one side, or a bent bar.

In all the photos of that bar that I can drag up from the internet...it has no side oil hole in it. You'd better make sure yours has both the mounting holes and the oiler hole as the CS-520 is a side oiler.

In all the photos of that bar that I can drag up from the internet...it has no side oil hole in it. You'd better make sure yours has both the mounting holes and the oiler hole as the CS-520 is a side oiler.

I looked at those Pics earlier but didnt pay enough attention so i looked again, your spot on wyk, no oiling holes that i see either.

My CS530 uses the K216 tail mount, the 520 uses something different, the K041

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have a clutch problem. Overheating probably caused the springs to loose temper or break so you are not getting hooked up completely under a big load. My 520 has plenty of power for its size and flings oil like the Exxon Valdez. Something is not right and you should pull it apart for an inspection. If you aren't sure, take pics and post them here for help. Do you have a shop manual for it?

Cs520 Echo saws don't cut real good.

yes I agree with mountainlake.

P.S. centrifugal clutches don't slip when the springs are loose/worn/broken, the shoes just grab the clutch drum sooner, a burnt-out clutch can only be operator error. best throw the echo into the attic and go shopping for a good brand

yes I agree with mountainlake.

P.S. centrifugal clutches don't slip when the springs are loose/worn/broken, the shoes just grab the clutch drum sooner, a burnt-out clutch can only be operator error. best throw the echo into the attic and go shopping for a good brand

Your right PGG, if you don't know how to fix a saw or wont or don't know how to operate one go hide in the attic. Your also right about the clutch springs, the only way shot springs could make a clutch slip is if a small piece of the spring got jammed between between the drum and shoe , not likely. Anyone that runs a saw to the point of melting things needs to go to chainsaw school 101. Steve

226361d1330349825-004-jpg

Most likely the clutch cover was not properly installed. Common problem with the CS-510/520's. Unless fully seated and latched in at the rear, the brake band rubs the clutch drum and cooks the cover.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back