Echo CS-670 melted brake handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapo_feo

Reaction score
I have been looking at the CS-670 for a while and all the ones I see for sale have a burn on the brake handle to one degree or another. Is that a common thing with Echo? And is there any reason I can't swap an old Husky deflector if the echo is angled into the brake?

I don't have a cs670, but I do have a cs680 with a 24" bar that is used often and it's not having any problems, definately not melting anything, I think they are basically the same saw not sure never looked into that.

I bought it new 2 years ago and adjusted the carb at around 8 hrs or so of run time on it, the day after I bought it. It's been a good saw in my experience, just used it this weekend to buck up a large oak that blew down during a storm for firewood.

Thanks

Thanks Kodiak42 for the info. I guess I'll buy one and see what happens. And mountainlake, I'll be sure to richen up the mix before I put too much time on it.

Thanks Kodiak42 for the info. I guess I'll buy one and see what happens. And mountainlake, I'll be sure to richen up the mix before I put too much time on it.

Good luck Sapo, maybe you can get a deal on one. If you find a used one on ebay make sure they have pics of the cylinder and piston, you dont wont anything thats all scored up.

Another thing along with carb adjustments that can really heat the saw up is a dull chain. I've seen some pretty good saws get burnt up or seized by someone that was either too lazy or not smart enough to run a file on the chain, or just change it out with a sharp one. Brand name not with standing.

**Edit**

I just looked at the pics you provided, missed them some how until now, but on the cs 680 at least I would say the deflector was put on wrong and directing the exhaust back to the hand brake, that would make the melting make more sense in that area. I have ran saw this hard before carb adjustment and after with no issues, but I can gaurentee if put the deflector on wrong it would look like that pretty quick. The 680 muffler is setup to make the directional issue implausble if you try using all the bolts for the deflector (minus a couple and it can happen), not sure about the 670. But from what the saw looks like in the the pics the deflector was on wrong, in general overheating you would expect the plastic to be melted above the muffler also which it isnt shown on either pic that I can see, which is odd since its just less than a 1/4" above the muffler and the melted area is a good distance away, at least 5" in the direction of the exhaust blast if the baffle was installed wrong .

Looking at the pics, I'm 200% sure the baffles were on wrong. The Muffler baffle is located on the bar side of the muffler on this model and directs the exhaust at angle across the bar, in reverse it's back at the brake.

After further review the 670 only has two bolts holding the baffle on a flat stamp sheet metal muffler that looks fully interchangeable in terms of placement and appears to be fully revesible, the 680 baffle has 4 bolts (at least mine) with raised sheet metal from the muffler in the baffle area that follows the outline of the baffle and is not reversible without the exclusion of all but one bolt and an ill fitting baffle plate.

Last edited:
I ended up buying the 670 in the pic off ebay. Runs great and all the screws are in the deflector. The deflector is in the same position as the rest of the 670's I've seen pics of. I also ordered a new brake handle from Bailey's, but it was backordered. I got impatient and snagged one off ebay, and it's got a hole burned in it too. I guess I should have waited. I saw another thread that had a pic of a dual port mod for a husky. I think I'll try something like that if I find a good used muffler to practice on. What are your thoughts on this?
I only plan to do one port, just using the pic as reference.

View attachment 246834

I bought my cs-670 new 6 years ago and have cut a lot of wood with it since and the brake handle has not melted. Something has to be out of whack to do what your pictures show. The louvered side cover on the muffler vents forward on mine. I don't have the saw in front of me but I don't recall the handle being in the way of the outlet except if the brake is activated.

I just took the tube baffle out of my muffler with a die grinder making it a hollow can with a larger exit hole but still run the deflector cover.

Back