Echo CS-8000p help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gremlin-jim

Reaction score
I recently acquired an Echo CS-8000p. I could not get it to start. It had spark, fuel, and I thought it had compression. After hours of mess'n with it I took it down the street to the small engine shop. He did a quick comp. test and said it had no comp. Disappointed, I went home and pulled the jug off and found the inside of the cylinder to be a little scuffed up as well as the side of the piston. Also, the piston rings had about .001 worn off in that area and were stuck. I searched the web to find a piston kit and found nothing. I called the nearest Echo dealer and they said that pistons were not available any longer. So I went back to the guy that I got it from. He had two 8000p’s and a 900evl that were KIA. He let me take them to try and make ends meet. One of the 8000p's had what looked to be a pretty decent piston and rings but the cylinder had some marks on it. So I did a light hone, knocked the carbon off the piston face, and assembled. It was like magic. It will fire but not run. There is no muffler b/c I couldn't get it off the old jug. But I can see some fire coming out when I pull the cord. So, can you guys give me suggestions? Carb adjustments, Franken saw with the 900evl, or maybe will the components of the 8000p (handle, plastics, flywheel, etc fit on the 900evl? The dealer said a piston was available for the 900evl.

Sorry so lengthy...

P&c

Baileys has the Piston and Cylinder. They are a sponsor here.

Your going to need to diagnose the engine just like any other. First compression and then spark, fuel etc. Sounds like you have spark, but how much compression? Make sure your intake is tight and each carb jet is out counterclockwise from seated 1 and 1/2 turns.

If you have 120psi of compression or greater it should run. Look for air leaks. If its an older model replace the fuel lines, filter and impulse hose or at least check them for leaks by rolling the hose between your finger tips. Go over it and make sure there arent any loose crankcase bolts, look for bad gaskets and so on.

You will need an impact wrench (non air power) to get those muffler bolts so while your down at the shop ask the guy to check the compression for you.

If you need help, post back with the info and maybe a couple of pics of what your having trouble with.

Best wishes,
Bob

Cs8000

Hi,

Just want to note that if you are going to try to repair with one of the used jugs and pistons, the amount of compression does not assure you that the jug is good.

The lower part of the jug is the most important part of the fuel delivery system. Even the slightest amount of damage will not allow crankcase vacuum which is critical in drawing the fuel mix into the crankcase.

So, If it runs until warm (engine expands) and then starves for fuel (lean), suspect damage on the lower part of the jug.

echoman

I just looked at the bailey's web site and I am still not seeing it. RMH, can you give me a link to it? Echoman, I think you nailed it, the lower part of the jug was still a little scuffed.

Was there perceptible damage to the Nikasil liner or just piston residue left on the cylinder? You'll need to get every trace of piston residue off the walls of the jug before you try running it again. Clean the jug up and it should run with a new piston and rings, provided that the fuel system is 100%.

I just looked at the bailey's web site and I am still not seeing it. RMH, can you give me a link to it? Echoman, I think you nailed it, the lower part of the jug was still a little scuffed.

Hi,

I am not tooting my horn here. That lesson was well imprinted on me.

In the summer, I would have 8 mechanics working and about 2 or 3 in the winter. I am certain that every mechanic I had lost at least a whole day if not more due to a bad lower cylinder including myself. Each of us thought the problem was carburetion.

Now my cardinal rule is to inspect the cylinder as well as I can within reason. If it starves for fuel after getting warm and the common things are checked, I pull the jug and inspect. Almost always the lower end of the jug has damage or excessive wear.

Good luck,
echoman

Latest posts

Back