Echo CS400 history and worthwhile addition?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerfWatcher

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I missed an "older" (metal handle) cs400 the other day real cheap. Am now on the search for a cs400 after some reading on the forum of almost all positive reviews has peaked my curiosity..however a few questions.

Were all the cs400s plastic case saws? I see the older versions had a metal handle, other than that are they an all plastic saw?

Based on my lineup...would I see a real benefit to adding one to the stable? Enough felt weight savings / handling over the 346xp / ported 026 pro to be worth the less power? Main use would be in tree work for chunk out, maybe large brush cutting on the ground. Not a huge fan of the Husky 350 due to plastic case, although it shares many parts with the renowned 346xp. Would I be taking step back from the 350 to go to a cs400?

I'd say it would be be a big step back from a 350 to cs400.

I like the Echo saws because they're reliable, efficient, light and I can use the bars and chains off of cheaper Poulan/craftsman chainsaws. I have a 340 and think it out-pulls 400, but the 340 seems to be very unreliable, currently I cannot get it to oil.

About 20 years ago I bought an Echo CS-3900 from a friend who had lost his leg. This is a darn good saw:
1658603144731.jpeg
I imagine it's pretty close in size to the CS-400. Always starts and lots of power for limbing and small felling. No complaints from this owner. Not sure if there are many of these out there.

I'd say it would be be a big step back from a 350 to cs400.

I like the Echo saws because they're reliable, efficient, light and I can use the bars and chains off of cheaper Poulan/craftsman chainsaws. I have a 340 and think it out-pulls 400, but the 340 seems to be very unreliable, currently I cannot get it to oil.
My muff modded and tuned Echo CS400 saw out cut my Rancher 55 by a lot, I sold 2 brothers CS400 Echos, one had a 036 Stihl and the other had a 038 Stihl, they both use their CS 400 instead of thier Stihls. Steve

I'm a pretty big fan of the Echo CS-370/400's but wouldn't put them in the same league as a Husquvarna 346 or 350. They are however very well built and dead solid reliable. They don't have super-fast chain speeds but are more of a mid-range saw. I've own two CS-370's and have had a lot of CS-400's here to work on/muffler mod. All of them get the CAT gutted out of them and muffler opened up a tad. It's not optional to remove the limiter caps on the mixture screws as Echo sets these saws WAY too lean from the factory. Once you open up the muffler and give them some fuel they respond nicely as mentioned. Outfitted with a 14" bar and 3/8"LP they have excellent "grunt" and make a great limbing saw. One stays on my side-by-side year round for cutting downed limbs and smaller trees that end up on the paths thru my woods. I must have a zillion hours on that saw as it really gets a work-out around here. I finally had to put a drive sprocket/clutch on it last year, otherwise just bars and chains are all that it's ever needed........

I actually have a CS-400 and a CS-370. These saws have piles of hours limbing, fence clearing. The last job I used them for I was rappleling down a concrete/rock wall/cliff below a historic home and cutting giant vines and brush out of it and was hitting rocks, touching the chains and going back at it. The 400 I bought new and its on its second clutch drum just now.

I prefer the 400's starting without the throttle lock button. Not sure if the new 370s have that.

I have bars and chains for these saws for the next dozen years due to burnt up poulans that use 14, 16, and 18" bars, but I prefer the 14" bars the most.

Are they the most powerful? No. Indispensable tools? Yes.

I have an Echo CS-370 that I’ve commercially used for 11 years, and it still cuts like a monster. I’ve used the **** out of this saw, and am dumbfounded as to its lifespan. I have replaced a bunch of parts on the saw, but haven’t had to do anything to the bottom end or the piston and cylinder.

I own an old metal handled cs370 and a newer Shindaiwa 402s, which is the exact same saw as the Echo cs400, just in red dress. My saw quiver is quite small right now(those 2, Stihl 261, Echo cs680, Husqvarna 395xp), and the new Shinny is by far my lightest and most pleasant to run. I like them because they are ultimately reliable and easy to service, which is paramount to me. They also are very smooth and just sound and feel solid. My old 370 withstood years of neglect and abuse before I started treating it and using it properly… namely, spending months buried in wood way too big, smoking the bar and chain, running crappy gas and oil. I maintain and run my saws meticulously nowadays, and with some new cutting equipment on the saw along with clutch, drum, and bearing, it runs and cuts like a new saw.

As far as I know they’ve always been plastic cased saws with the current model number. The old 4400’s and 440’s were metal cased clam shells, along with the cs 450, which was discontinued a few years ago.

None of these saws are going to outrun the competition but it’s not like you are going to notice the impact. But I think it’s safe to say that if you do your part they are the most reliable and trouble free, which I can get behind. My Echos have always been my best saws.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Echo CS-370/400's but wouldn't put them in the same league as a Husquvarna 346 or 350. They are however very well built and dead solid reliable. They don't have super-fast chain speeds but are more of a mid-range saw. I've own two CS-370's and have had a lot of CS-400's here to work on/muffler mod. All of them get the CAT gutted out of them and muffler opened up a tad. It's not optional to remove the limiter caps on the mixture screws as Echo sets these saws WAY too lean from the factory. Once you open up the muffler and give them some fuel they respond nicely as mentioned. Outfitted with a 14" bar and 3/8"LP they have excellent "grunt" and make a great limbing saw. One stays on my side-by-side year round for cutting downed limbs and smaller trees that end up on the paths thru my woods. I must have a zillion hours on that saw as it really gets a work-out around here. I finally had to put a drive sprocket/clutch on it last year, otherwise just bars and chains are all that it's ever needed........
Hi Cliff, I have several CS-400's. Where can I find info on gutting the CAT and opening the muffler?
Thx!

On my property, most of the trees I cut for firewood are 12 to 16 inch diameter so I've always had and 18" saw. Originally, I had a couple of Craftsman 42cc saws. Then, in 2011 we had a tornado come through our area. and to help my dad clear his property we needed something a bit bigger. After reading numerous reviews, I got an Echo CS-600P with a 24" bar and was impressed. That turned me on to Echo. My dad already had a CS-400 that he loved.

So, when my Craftsman started giving me issues, I got an Echo CS-400. What an awesome little saw that is has been for me. It's my go to saw for all our tree falling for firewood. I only haul out the CS-600 for trees I need to drop that are over 17" diameter and even then sometimes I get away with using the 400. I'm not confident around small engines, so mine 400 still stock. It starts super easy. I recently switched to the Oregon Versa Cut chain (91VXL062G) instead of the stock S62 chain and wow, my little CS-400 cuts like a beast. The stock chain was always decent, but the Versa Cut chain has been exceptional cutting our oaks, ash, and hickory. I see now that it appears the CS-4010 is replacement to the CS-400 - interesting that it is less expensive than the CS-400 was. Some stores, like Home Despot still have CS-400s in stock.

Bottom line, while I've not had experience with Stihl and Husqvarna saws, I am super happy with the performance of my Echos.

Latest posts

Back