Echo CS600P muffler mod suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the post because of my experience with brand: plastic parts that break all the time; choke levers that are placed where they should not be - resulting in getting hit all the time; mufflers that blow exhaust at you instead of away from you; carbs that work themselves out of adjustment; shall I continue? Seriously, the slogan is "Ask any pro." But, no one does; if he/she did, the pro would tell him/her Echo would be fine for homeowner use, but does not stand up to the abuses of real commercial work. Let me think of all the Echo crap I have ran: blower, trimmer, chain saw, pole saw, and edger (all POS's). I still have the pole saw. Every time we cut with it, the plastic gear inside the pole would break, so we would have to take the whole thing apart and replace it; there is no better one - only cheap plastic. After the last time, I would not let it go back out. My plan was to sell it, but I felt too bad to sell such a POS to someone. But if someone here is stihl gung-ho "Echo rules!" I have a Great Echo pole saw to sell you dirt cheap... because it was built that way. Oh, and the choke lever is broke off because it was in the damndest place and continued to get hit all day long, usually choking the machine out when you had it extended out as far as possible and you were at the verge of being off-balance or uncomfortable; how often do you use a choke anyways? Yep, once a day, so, we broke off the lever, but it still can be used; it is an improvement really. Sorry to offend a few, but Stihl has proven very reliable and tough. I don't work for or promote any particular brand, but I am happy to give first-hand knowledge of my experience. We have used many brands over the many years, and Stihl stands out. The list of 2-cycle equipment includes: Stihl, Husqvarna, Red Max, Echo, Maruyama, Tanaka, Ryobi, Homelite, Mcculloch, Poulan, Weedeater, and probably some more. Some of it was real crap; some of it was okay; and some was outstanding. One more thing on Stihl: I went to a big event at an equipment dealer where all the different brands had dealer reps there with equipment and special pricing. It started raining. Everyone scrambled to move the equipment out of the rain... except the Stihl rep; he left his stuff in the rain. Many people apporached him with "Hey, you better get that equipment out of the rain," where he responded "Stihl equipment is not afraid to get wet. We make it where it can be used in the toughest of environments, so rain is not a big deal." He sold a lot of Stihl that day. My 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

All your bs isn't even worth 1 cent, in the 10 years I've been running Echo saws I've had to replace 1 AV mount. If your breaking them your the type that can and will break anyrthing, for sure a saw you don't like. Don't be lumping a Stihl saws together when there is night and day difference between thier good pro saws and thier homeowner junk. Steve

Last edited:
mine work fine.

All your bs isn't even with 1 cent, in the 10 years I've been running Echo saws I've had to replace 1 AV mount. If your breaking them your the type that can and will break anyrthing, for sure a saw you don't like. Don't be lumping a Stihl saws together when there is night and day difference between thier good pro saws and thier homeowner junk. Steve

ive been doin lawns on the side for many years still have my lil echo cs 3000 saws just moded the mufflers they always start and have been very dependable... i also have had a power pruner for about 2 years never have any problems oh once palm fibers clogged it up took a few minutes to clear and back to work.i like many brands Poulan stihl and echo the lil echos have done well for me..i think my stihl stuff is more bullit proof but i have had more starting issues with them then the echo stuff.. just what i have noticed over the years..:msp_thumbup:

i'll i have to say is all brands of equipment have good/great models in the line up and bad ones, i feel the 600p should be one of the good ones:msp:rolleyes2:

I made the post because of my experience with brand: plastic parts that break all the time; choke levers that are placed where they should not be - resulting in getting hit all the time; mufflers that blow exhaust at you instead of away from you; carbs that work themselves out of adjustment; shall I continue? Seriously, the slogan is "Ask any pro." But, no one does; if he/she did, the pro would tell him/her Echo would be fine for homeowner use, but does not stand up to the abuses of real commercial work. Let me think of all the Echo crap I have ran: blower, trimmer, chain saw, pole saw, and edger (all POS's). I still have the pole saw. Every time we cut with it, the plastic gear inside the pole would break, so we would have to take the whole thing apart and replace it; there is no better one - only cheap plastic. After the last time, I would not let it go back out. My plan was to sell it, but I felt too bad to sell such a POS to someone. But if someone here is stihl gung-ho "Echo rules!" I have a Great Echo pole saw to sell you dirt cheap... because it was built that way. Oh, and the choke lever is broke off because it was in the damndest place and continued to get hit all day long, usually choking the machine out when you had it extended out as far as possible and you were at the verge of being off-balance or uncomfortable; how often do you use a choke anyways? Yep, once a day, so, we broke off the lever, but it still can be used; it is an improvement really. Sorry to offend a few, but Stihl has proven very reliable and tough. I don't work for or promote any particular brand, but I am happy to give first-hand knowledge of my experience. We have used many brands over the many years, and Stihl stands out. The list of 2-cycle equipment includes: Stihl, Husqvarna, Red Max, Echo, Maruyama, Tanaka, Ryobi, Homelite, Mcculloch, Poulan, Weedeater, and probably some more. Some of it was real crap; some of it was okay; and some was outstanding. One more thing on Stihl: I went to a big event at an equipment dealer where all the different brands had dealer reps there with equipment and special pricing. It started raining. Everyone scrambled to move the equipment out of the rain... except the Stihl rep; he left his stuff in the rain. Many people apporached him with "Hey, you better get that equipment out of the rain," where he responded "Stihl equipment is not afraid to get wet. We make it where it can be used in the toughest of environments, so rain is not a big deal." He sold a lot of Stihl that day. My 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

I have a lot of Echo equipment, and it runs just fine. You have to be smarter than the piece of equipment that you are trying to run.

What is the point of jumping on someones thread and forcing your stupid dumb biased opinion about overrated and overpriced equipment?? I read his long winded spiel 4 days ago now and i still have not come up with an answer :confused:

Mark twain once said and i quote: "It is better to let others think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" :msp_thumbup:

If you are breaking or getting choke levers caught and the like maybe change the way YOU are operating the equipment and don't blame the tool for your lack of mental flexibility. If the muffler is blowing exhaust at you instead of away from you hold the saw the other way around by the handle, you may find this works better. :biggrin:

I have used saws from all the major brands (and some very non major ones) and have to say i hold Echo up with the best of them. All of their OPE i have used from trimmers and hedgers to blowers and chainsaws and pole saws has been first rate gear. Here in Australia they are very highly regarded for quality and reliability over most other brands. Why would Echo have such long warranties for home and commercial use, over other big brands, if the equipment did not hold up to that kind of work? Echo would have been out of business years ago if their equipment was breaking so often and could not hold up under warranty. But they are not out of business because their stuff is very good.

Anyway back on track, I just got a 600P and was going to sell it on to a mate of mine, but i think i have changed my mind and will add it to my now rapidly growing working collection of saws. My excuse is that i do not have a 60cc class saw. Feeble i know but it works for me! :msp_rolleyes: It has a bit more power over my Dolmar PS-5105 and a lot less than my Dolkita 7900 with HD filter, so it kinda slots in between them.

First impressions were good. Very good build quality. I got the aluminum handle bar, i believe some were plastic?? All metal body and crankcase with some plastic covering parts as is to be expected. Inboard clutch and rim sprocket which i am a huge fan of for ease of chain changing and maintenance. :msp_thumbsup: Wish it still had the larger auto style filter that I'm used to on Echo saws, but this is only a small gripe. Compared this to my Huski 445 or 455 which are almost 100% plastic. I think the piston and cylinder are still metal on these saws though!! :laugh: My 455 i have had for many years and it's been used a lot. I keep it it the 4x4 all the time if trees are down when driving to or from home on our road. I like the 455 a lot but i could not believe the amount of plastic in this saw the first time i pulled it apart to fix a few things on it. :jawdrop: It might have to give up it's place in the 4x4 to the new Echo!

I will be interested to see if any more info about mods to these saws turns up. I will be doing the muffler mod by drilling out the baffle and removing the screen when i get time over the coming weekend. I will more than likely end up running D009 Huski mount bars on this saw with home made bar spacers as i don't want to have a "unique" bar and chain set up that i cannot use on anything else. Why have chains 2 or 3 links different than common sizes??? A real PITA in my opinion. :bang:

interested...

I have a two year old 600p and have resisted doing anything to it because of the warranty but will most likely start playing with it...Just cant take it any more...Keep posting what you are doing with these saws. I will say this it's been bullet proof for the time i have owned it.

The rant about how good Stihl is...well...I'm sure they are a good company with good product just like many others otherwise they wouldn't be still selling product...In my opinion if you have to be SO over the top you are probably over compensating or trying to join some type of club...

I use what I use because it works well for me.

keep posting the mods to the 600p cause it's a coming...

HD

echo 600p

I own a cs 600p, cs 680 both new models, a stihl ms 270c, mcculloch 7-10A 1971 model, an old 80's model echo gt 160ae and a 90's model shindaiwa T 230 shindaiwa trimmer and honestly all of them are good equipment i believe in the made on wedsnesday theory myself, all of my equipment has been good to me I do like the fact that stihls are made in America because I am a patriotic American, but I also like the fact that the echo is made in japan to my understanding. The only complaint I have is that the stihl is a dirtier saw than the others. Where the echo's clean out very nice the stihl clogs up and holds a lot of dust and grit but it runs awesome. As far as quality I have equipment ranging from 1970's that is still functioning and well so oh well.

I have a echo 600 that i have ran about 20 gallons of gas through and i like it real well it is muffler moded.It is a easy saw to muffler mod remove the muffler from the saw first. Then remove the defflectors on top of the muffler. Then down in the hole by where the pipe comes out theres a flat spot next to pipe i just drilled a 1/2 hole .Then you have to make shure you get all the drill shavings out by using compressed air. l Then reinstalled the outer exhaust deflector only and retuned. The saw runs great now after that.

Any problems with ethanol? We have a few gas stations that have ethanol-free gas. That is all we run through the saws. I'm sure it would be ideal for all equipment, but is not practical. The ethanol seems to be rough on the saws though.

I have a echo 600 that i have ran about 20 gallons of gas through and i like it real well it is muffler moded.It is a easy saw to muffler mod remove the muffler from the saw first. Then remove the defflectors on top of the muffler. Then down in the hole by where the pipe comes out theres a flat spot next to pipe i just drilled a 1/2 hole .Then you have to make sure you get all the drill shavings out by using compressed air. l Then reinstalled the outer exhaust deflector only and retuned. The saw runs great now after that.

Did you notice a big difference after the muffler mod?

Did you notice a big difference after the muffler mod?
Yes it helped a lot.we have 2 600s and one was muffler moded and the other not.The muffler moded one pulls the 20 inch bar really hard now.

Last edited:
I have a echo 600 that i have ran about 20 gallons of gas through and i like it real well it is muffler moded.It is a easy saw to muffler mod remove the muffler from the saw first. Then remove the defflectors on top of the muffler. Then down in the hole by where the pipe comes out theres a flat spot next to pipe i just drilled a 1/2 hole .Then you have to make shure you get all the drill shavings out by using compressed air. l Then reinstalled the outer exhaust deflector only and retuned. The saw runs great now after that.

Did you happen to take any pics of the muffler mod? :D

Did you happen to take any pics of the muffler mod? :D
sorry but no i didnt.im going to work on takeing pictures and videos but dont have a whole lot extra time.I would have to take the muffler off to get a good picture.you cant tell its modded by looking at it fom the out side.

sorry but no i didnt.im going to work on takeing pictures and videos but dont have a whole lot extra time.I would have to take the muffler off to get a good picture.you cant tell its modded by looking at it fom the out side.

No big deal.. i was just gonna copy you. i'll be doing the MM on mine within the next few days.

No big deal.. i was just gonna copy you. i'll be doing the MM on mine within the next few days.
If you need help i can walk you trough it.once you take the exhaust deflector of the top i think you will be able to see what im talking about.

I've have gone through a lot of the equipment, basically making a nice little hobby on the side fixing small 2-stroke equipment. I have to agree and disagree on some points.

Of the echo saws I do not like some of the features include the cs300-cs3400 series saws, the choke lever is in a bad spot, but the air filtration is better than the husky saws. The early mufflers were good, the late mufflers are awful. The muffler exhaust can be a problem if the muffler guard is not on, but why would the guard be missing? BUT, they a dead reliable, I'm not talking performance mind you... the part about carb screws backing out has most likely more to do with the user removing the epa caps and leaving them off. The caps need to be trimmed left on. You would have the same problem with just about every stihl carb that is made now, since that's a Zama carb as well. Why blame echo on the carb? It's a stihl/zama product, a good example, vw/audi had a voluntary recall on coils with there 4-cyl turbo cars. People assume vw made the coils when it was actually made by Beru. Maybe Stihl purposely cheapens the Zama carbs for their clients?? Which I seriously doubt, just having fun to prove a point. The new Echo arborist saws, sorry, good idea but bad execution, bigger more cumbersome saw, why? soft tach sucks, muffler sucks, they should have stuffed that cs360 engine into the tiny cs3400 case and they would have atleast beat the ms190 and scared the ms200t. I have a cs3400, 338xpt, and ms200t. Overall I like the husky the best, sort of, good engine, better ergonomics, mag side cover, the echo I loan out, but that damn stihl engine is flat out the best, open port cylinder and all. I try not to use it for fear of dropping it and breaking the tank or clutch cover, very "cheap". The stihl ms200t engine is still the king of arborist saws. I haven't tried a ms201t or whatever they call it yet. When you WANT to use a saw you know it's good.

The controls on an Echo 5000 and 670 are very solid. You can't beat a simple toggle switch, the switch btw is metal. Most of the choke levers are metal rods with plastic pull tabs. Most stihl and husky choke levers are 100% plastic. I don't know how that is considered cheap. THe saws are very solid in general, think about about when was the last time stihl or husqvarna sold a saw with a magnesium fuel tank?? If it was switched around you would say how cheap echo is by using a plastic tank, so to me that proves echo uses the best material for the that particular part. How many members out here have broken a 066/046 fuel tank?? Stihl and husky could learn a thing from echo and install a mag tank on there big pro saws. What about filters, stihl filters on there older saws are terrible, echo are easily better, with husky being the best. What about fasteners? Echo still uses machine screws and lock washers, where as husky and stihl are using coarse threaded screws and bolts...what sounds cheaper? Husky has used coarse threaded bolts for cylinders going into a mag case??? Why? You always want a fine thread to properly torque down a gasket, just look at ARP fasteners. Personally, I think Solo does the best job in choosing the best fasteners for the job. Nice product, expensive though.

I find the echo pole saws, the fiberglass poles, to be more robust than the stihl versions. I've have yet to see an echo gear strip out. A friend of mine who is retired from the tree service business has an echo pole saw that is so old it has a manaul oiler and it still works great, choke lever and all. If you are stripping gears on a regular basis I would venture to say that the bar and chain is getting pinched quite often, operator error or complete disregard for the equipment. I love the Stihl Ht75 pole saws great product, or should I say great engines, but the oiler screens are a joke and eventually the oil pumps stop working because of this and those flippy caps..I just shake my head. btw a recall on them, I don't remember seeing a recall on echo fuel and oil caps?

When it comes to echo and stihl blowers, I've had a few, not a lot, and I found them to be about equal and judging by how equally split they are among landscapers in use I say they are about equal. I will say Stihl incorporating the fuel tank with the blower housing is a mistake. It gets dropped and you have a very expensive repair. The echo and stihl hand held blowers I find to be equal, the stihl hand held blower with the anti-vibe is genius and has become one of my personal tools. Not a fan of the strato engine but not having my hands all tingly after I'm done using it is more important. It seems Redmax is the dominant blower in this area. I like the kawasaki blowers with the big echo or stihl tubes swapped in. The last kawasakit I had it looked like it had a redmax engine or atleast a redmax designed/licensed engine does anyone know if they are rebadged redmax engines?

Trimmers, again the echo stuff is solid, not the lightest or most powerful, the older stihl 2-stroke trimmers I found to be better than echo. The 4-mix stuff, I've had pole saws, HT131, Ht 101, and FS90R, FS110R trimmers, they run great (when they run) and I love the engine design seeing the cam and pushrods etc. very cool. But the coils are absolute JUNK, every one I have had, at least one coil per tool has gone bad. They get stuck in advance mode? Make spark but don't run. Those coils should all be recalled, this is not an abuse issue there has to be a design defect in that coil. Stihl should have just put a cat on there 2-stroke stuff. I had a FS86, that was a great product. The 4-mix, I've got rid of every one. I'll never keep a 4-mix product, buy it only to flip. Btw, the cam gear on the 4-mix is "cheap" plastic and they definitely need more maintenance than an echo or husky just be sheer design. I have bought and repaired 4-mix stuff. Most of the time they needed either coils or valve adjustments. Reliability wise, the Stihl 4-mix equipment is definitely the worse out of the major brands. The husky closed port trimmers are flat out awesome, great power, and on the average about two pounds lighter than competition. A light muffler mode makes them even run better.

In conclusion, to call echo products across the board POS is wrong. Especially considering some of there new products, like the cs520, cs600p. Those are really nice products. I own both and I'm keeping them for a while. There other products are designed in my opinion with a heavy emphasis on reliability over sheer performance. But to say they are cheaply made? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Professional equipment

I've have gone through a lot of the equipment, basically making a nice little hobby on the side fixing small 2-stroke equipment. I have to agree and disagree on some points.

Of the echo saws I do not like some of the features include the cs300-cs3400 series saws, the choke lever is in a bad spot, but the air filtration is better than the husky saws. The early mufflers were good, the late mufflers are awful. The muffler exhaust can be a problem if the muffler guard is not on, but why would the guard be missing? BUT, they a dead reliable, I'm not talking performance mind you... the part about carb screws backing out has most likely more to do with the user removing the epa caps and leaving them off. The caps need to be trimmed left on. You would have the same problem with just about every stihl carb that is made now, since that's a Zama carb as well. Why blame echo on the carb? It's a stihl/zama product, a good example, vw/audi had a voluntary recall on coils with there 4-cyl turbo cars. People assume vw made the coils when it was actually made by Beru. Maybe Stihl purposely cheapens the Zama carbs for their clients?? Which I seriously doubt, just having fun to prove a point. The new Echo arborist saws, sorry, good idea but bad execution, bigger more cumbersome saw, why? soft tach sucks, muffler sucks, they should have stuffed that cs360 engine into the tiny cs3400 case and they would have atleast beat the ms190 and scared the ms200t. I have a cs3400, 338xpt, and ms200t. Overall I like the husky the best, sort of, good engine, better ergonomics, mag side cover, the echo I loan out, but that damn stihl engine is flat out the best, open port cylinder and all. I try not to use it for fear of dropping it and breaking the tank or clutch cover, very "cheap". The stihl ms200t engine is still the king of arborist saws. I haven't tried a ms201t or whatever they call it yet. When you WANT to use a saw you know it's good.

The controls on an Echo 5000 and 670 are very solid. You can't beat a simple toggle switch, the switch btw is metal. Most of the choke levers are metal rods with plastic pull tabs. Most stihl and husky choke levers are 100% plastic. I don't know how that is considered cheap. THe saws are very solid in general, think about about when was the last time stihl or husqvarna sold a saw with a magnesium fuel tank?? If it was switched around you would say how cheap echo is by using a plastic tank, so to me that proves echo uses the best material for the that particular part. How many members out here have broken a 066/046 fuel tank?? Stihl and husky could learn a thing from echo and install a mag tank on there big pro saws. What about filters, stihl filters on there older saws are terrible, echo are easily better, with husky being the best. What about fasteners? Echo still uses machine screws and lock washers, where as husky and stihl are using coarse threaded screws and bolts...what sounds cheaper? Husky has used coarse threaded bolts for cylinders going into a mag case??? Why? You always want a fine thread to properly torque down a gasket, just look at ARP fasteners. Personally, I think Solo does the best job in choosing the best fasteners for the job. Nice product, expensive though.

I find the echo pole saws, the fiberglass poles, to be more robust than the stihl versions. I've have yet to see an echo gear strip out. A friend of mine who is retired from the tree service business has an echo pole saw that is so old it has a manaul oiler and it still works great, choke lever and all. If you are stripping gears on a regular basis I would venture to say that the bar and chain is getting pinched quite often, operator error or complete disregard for the equipment. I love the Stihl Ht75 pole saws great product, or should I say great engines, but the oiler screens are a joke and eventually the oil pumps stop working because of this and those flippy caps..I just shake my head. btw a recall on them, I don't remember seeing a recall on echo fuel and oil caps?

When it comes to echo and stihl blowers, I've had a few, not a lot, and I found them to be about equal and judging by how equally split they are among landscapers in use I say they are about equal. I will say Stihl incorporating the fuel tank with the blower housing is a mistake. It gets dropped and you have a very expensive repair. The echo and stihl hand held blowers I find to be equal, the stihl hand held blower with the anti-vibe is genius and has become one of my personal tools. Not a fan of the strato engine but not having my hands all tingly after I'm done using it is more important. It seems Redmax is the dominant blower in this area. I like the kawasaki blowers with the big echo or stihl tubes swapped in. The last kawasakit I had it looked like it had a redmax engine or atleast a redmax designed/licensed engine does anyone know if they are rebadged redmax engines?

Trimmers, again the echo stuff is solid, not the lightest or most powerful, the older stihl 2-stroke trimmers I found to be better than echo. The 4-mix stuff, I've had pole saws, HT131, Ht 101, and FS90R, FS110R trimmers, they run great (when they run) and I love the engine design seeing the cam and pushrods etc. very cool. But the coils are absolute JUNK, every one I have had, at least one coil per tool has gone bad. They get stuck in advance mode? Make spark but don't run. Those coils should all be recalled, this is not an abuse issue there has to be a design defect in that coil. Stihl should have just put a cat on there 2-stroke stuff. I had a FS86, that was a great product. The 4-mix, I've got rid of every one. I'll never keep a 4-mix product, buy it only to flip. Btw, the cam gear on the 4-mix is "cheap" plastic and they definitely need more maintenance than an echo or husky just be sheer design. I have bought and repaired 4-mix stuff. Most of the time they needed either coils or valve adjustments. Reliability wise, the Stihl 4-mix equipment is definitely the worse out of the major brands. The husky closed port trimmers are flat out awesome, great power, and on the average about two pounds lighter than competition. A light muffler mode makes them even run better.

In conclusion, to call echo products across the board POS is wrong. Especially considering some of there new products, like the cs520, cs600p. Those are really nice products. I own both and I'm keeping them for a while. There other products are designed in my opinion with a heavy emphasis on reliability over sheer performance. But to say they are cheaply made? I don't think so.

Very well said indeed! And backed by facts and experience. My experience with Echo has not been good, but it looks like they do make some ok stuff. I have had excellent success with Stihl, and it has proven to be true professional equipment. However, I am so pissed at Stihl right now I could scream... stupid flip-top gas caps. What was wrong with the old threaded ones? I never had a single issue with the old caps, but the new ones just plain suck. And if they aren't put on just right, gas pours out... just like those stupid new gas can designs that I'm sure the EPA had their hands in to keep us regular people from spilling gas, but you have to have 3 hands to twist, pull, push, and hold, then figure out how to pick the can up and actually pour gas. Where are we headed? And yes, there was a recall on the chainsaws only. Same cap, same tank on the trimmers, etc... (backpack have a bigger cap, but same stupid design), but they only recalled the caps on the saws. WTH? And they didn't fix them, they just gave us new stupid caps for the stupid tanks. I will say the old Stihl stuff absolutely rocks, but that damn near goes for most old stuff. Everyone use to build stuff better. The old 2-cycle stuff still runs. Not impressed with the 4-cycle California crap, especially compared to the old style 2-cycle; but we do have some and they are okay. Red Max made the strongest blower I have ever used, but they were not as common and harder to get parts for in Baldwin County, Alabama. I do remember those engines looking eerily similar to the husqvarna and kawasaki engines, but that has been a while ago.

I have an Echo 600P that has been used some and is past the warranty. The carb is set almost perfect, I’m going to remove the spark arrestor and inner deflector. Will there be much adjustment with the carburetor after the mod, mostly concearned with the high speed?

Latest posts

Back