Echo ? Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike68

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, am new on this site, reading through the threads I appear to be suffering from CAD and FAD.
There are two saws being offered for sale at the moment one is an EchoES2800 the other is an Echo 290EVL I cant find any specs for either of them. Does anyone own one ?
are they bad to work on ? (they are both offered as spares or repair!)
Also please excuse my ignorance but what is an OWB ? I guess its something wood burner?
Mike.

Here's a 290

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice running little reed valve saw. pretty dependable and a bit rare. 12 to 14 inch bar works well on them. Good low end power but not a lot of speed. I've had good luck with them and keep one for my wife to use when her Makita cordless isn't enough......Bob

There is also a top handle version called 280E
attachment.php

Thanks for the replies I think I`ll skip the 290 as it has no chain brake, does look a nice saw though.

OWB why would the wood burner be outside? any chance of a few pictures out of curiosity.

I have a small wood burner but will hopefully be getting an old rayburn to heat the hot water radiators and do the cooking all fueled by wood.

Mike

Last edited:
No Echos will enter the inventory here - they are way underpowered compared to most of the competition......:censored:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies I think I`ll skip the 290 as it has no chain brake, does look a nice saw though.

OWB why would the wood burner be outside? any chance of a few pictures out of curiosity.

I have a small wood burner but will hopefully be getting an old rayburn to heat the hot water radiators and do the cooking all fueled by wood.

Mike

because it sits out side and you run water lines under ground to your house, where you have a heat exchanger. us it to heat your house.....

here is the one i have

http://www.heatmor.com/

I use a Bryan wood furnace, Model 300 to heat our house. The supply is hooked right into the duct work of the house, the return air is run through the wall of our back bedroom. By the way mine is not this shiny anymore.

bryan_furnace.jpg

Last edited:
No Echos will enter the inventory here - they are way underpowered compared to most of the competition......:censored:

I see where the "troll" part of your name comes from, that's all you are. You speak of things that you do not know, and pass off opinion as fact, You sir, FAIL.

Echo makes great saws, people who knock them dont know how to use a saw, dont know how to repair a saw, or are just plain ignorant.

Id go with the 2800 myself, smooth little runner, I can check at work and see what the parts availability is, but Im sure most everything is still available.

I see where the "troll" part of your name comes from, that's all you are. You speak of things that you do not know, and pass off opinion as fact, You sir, FAIL.

Echo makes great saws, people who knock them dont know how to use a saw, dont know how to repair a saw, or are just plain ignorant.

Id go with the 2800 myself, smooth little runner, I can check at work and see what the parts availability is, but Im sure most everything is still available.

:yourock: :agree2:

Troll your:deadhorse: We all know your a closed minded ECHO hater so you can quit posting about how junk they are, we got it you don't like ECHO's.

I think you will find more people posting about how much they like their ECHO's when they realize they wont be brow beat just for mentioning them. I for one will always stick up for them as long as they produce a quality product.

AND :notrolls2:

Last edited:
Now now , Didn't mean to start a fight just did not know anything about Echo's and saw they were going cheap not that far away. Damn this chainsaw obsession!
Those OWB's make our wood burners look pretty feeble!
Still at least there is a need to collect and cut wood even if its not on the scale the majority of you lot do!

:greenchainsaw:

Jonsered 2036
Mcculloch 442 Dakota
Stihl MS 230
Stihl 034

I see where the "troll" part of your name comes from, that's all you are. You speak of things that you do not know, and pass off opinion as fact, You sir, FAIL. ....

Some people just can't face the truth......:buttkick: :fart: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Why do you think they leave the power output out of the specs???

Last edited:
Some people just can't face the truth......:buttkick: :fart: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Why do you think they leave the power output out of the specs???

Who cares? We know they don't publish them you have told us a thousand times.

Statement from ECHO.

Horse power is not the best way to rate a 2 stroke engines power. When comparing the performance of two-stroke engines, going by horsepower is not really an accurate way to determine the performance capabilities of a unit. The reason for this, is that there are no industry standards set for rating the horsepower of a two-stroke engine. Due to the fact that there are no set standards, this allows too may variables to come into play allowing for possibly an incorrect or misleading horsepower rating. ECHO does not publish horse power ratings.

Again I say so what. I bought my saws based on more than a horse power rating, in fact that was a question I didn't even ask. I looked at the saw for the whole package, durability, life expectancy, parts availability and dealer support. And to mike68 no fight here just saying sawtroll can say ECHO's are junk all he wants he's entitled to his opinion but for crying out loud every time somebody post about an ECHO we have to hear the same old thing, I wont even say it.... :) :) :)

Who cares? We know they don't publish them you have told us a thousand times.

Statement from ECHO.

Horse power is not the best way to rate a 2 stroke engines power. When comparing the performance of two-stroke engines, going by horsepower is not really an accurate way to determine the performance capabilities of a unit. The reason for this, is that there are no industry standards set for rating the horsepower of a two-stroke engine. Due to the fact that there are no set standards, this allows too may variables to come into play allowing for possibly an incorrect or misleading horsepower rating. ECHO does not publish horse power ratings.

Again I say so what. I bought my saws based on more than a horse power rating, in fact that was a question I didn't even ask. I looked at the saw for the whole package, durability, life expectancy, parts availability and dealer support. And to mike68 no fight here just saying sawtroll can say ECHO's are junk all he wants he's entitled to his opinion but for crying out loud every time somebody post about an ECHO we have to hear the same old thing, I wont even say it.... :) :) :)

Listen :newbie: , before you continue to bash on Troll. Go read Red's posts anytime a Stihl is mentioned.

And as far as them )ECHO, downplaying the hp rating. Just another way to hide the fact that they do not produce power when compared to same cc models of other brands.

I'm not bashing troll I have said in other posts that he is very knowledgeable on Stihl and Husky saws and some times I research some of his reply's and he's dead on. My point is that every time somebody posts about an ECHO troll chimes in and lets us know how junk they are and they have no power. OH and Red wellll humm hehe what can I say us ECHO fans need all the support we can get.

Last edited:
Haven't had much experience with Echo but I picked up an Echo cs500ev some years back with a 70 drive link bar and couldn't get it to run well. Patient as I am for the most part, I methodically figured out the seals were gone. Changed the seals now........ As old as the saw is, I am truly impressed. Holy terror this saw is with its 2 ringed piston. Soooooooo, I will have to give Echo a pat on the back for the release of that model of saw. Sorry Sawtroll!

Echo is the only equipment I have never had issues with. I use my stuff good n' hard... but maintain it to perfection. I have had a fair amount of problems with other brands. Echo has built trust with me.

Just like the old motto went...

ECHO- The one that lasts.

Echo has made its name on reliable, easy starting, long lasting, and reasonably priced equipment that makes great power for the weight. They remain on the cutting edge of technology. Even now, they are bringing out their new Stratospherically charged 2 stroke on the PB-500. It isnt like the strato system found on others makes of equipment that has a tendency to appear half-assed, and wants to lean out the mixture at high rpms.

The Echo system is simply the best on the market, expect the same long life, reliable starting, and ease of servicing as previous models.

For what it's worth, the strato-engine is not planned to be used on saws or trimmers in the near future, in fact they are only offered on the one model, which serves as a sort of testing platform. Any failures will show up on the backpack blower apps...those run hours straight, at WOT.

Back