Echo ? Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who cares? We know they don't publish them you have told us a thousand times.

Statement from ECHO.

Horse power is not the best way to rate a 2 stroke engines power. When comparing the performance of two-stroke engines, going by horsepower is not really an accurate way to determine the performance capabilities of a unit. The reason for this, is that there are no industry standards set for rating the horsepower of a two-stroke engine. Due to the fact that there are no set standards, this allows too may variables to come into play allowing for possibly an incorrect or misleading horsepower rating. ECHO does not publish horse power ratings.

I'll bet they would publish the horsepower ratings in their specs if they were at the top of the power/weight ratio!!!:poke::D

yea i notice how some dislike that brand i also notice poulan and homelite get the same treatment its all the time stihl you got to remember which one is made out of magnesium ?

and which one is made out of plastic materials ?

end of discussion

what it boils down too is everyone went to plastic even stihl has gone to plastic

so where did the quality go to ?

magnesium is much better built than plastic ever will be

New here. No dog in this race, but I've been researching saws. Downloaded the manuals for both the Jonsered 2153 C and the Husqvarna 346 XP. The manuals are almost exact copies of one another. Engines have exact same published tech specs, bore and stroke, carbs, etc, with the only differences being hp and max speed. The 346 is listed at 3.7 hp while the 2153 is listed at 3.4 hp. Online at the Jonsered site, the 2153 is listed at 3.5 hp. Is this evidence of the case that Echo makes about no standard for measuring two stroke power output? Or is it just marketing strategy?

I'm pretty certain that both of the saws mentioned to be available use the old reed valve engines. You will NOT be impressed with them anyplace, as they are slow and WAY underpowered compared to their modern/latest offerings.

It's a shame that folks still make comparisons between Echo's older designs and those currently offered by other manufacturer's. Their new piston ported models are very good saws, with modern features, high speed power and cutting capabilities, etc.

It certainly seems like folks can't figure out that their old reed valve engines shouldn't have a power rating, or be used for comparison purposes in these discussions.

The newer models, CS-440, 4400, 510, 520, 6700, 670, etc, are very good saws and make great power for their engine size. The CS-330 and CS-360T are piston ported examples of their top handle saws, and cut WAY faster than their older 300/301's etc.

FWIW, the easiest way to identify an Echo reed valve engine is to look at the location of the air filter and fuel/oil caps. There are all up toward the front of the saw, spark plug at the rear down low, and muffler exits out the lower bottom right side at the rear......Cliff

I have ran a cs440 my best friend is a echo aficionado. Power wise I thought it was just like all other 45 cc saw's and to the Stihl guy's the MS250 is a over priced turd in my opinion!( yes you herd right but that is my opinion)The best saw in that class would go to the old 346/2147!
Look under the hood the Echo is very well made no big casting lines on the ports. All saws in this class have lot's of plastic, heck all new saw's do.
I really want to get a 520 for myself and give it a fair try.Before they are all gone.
After all the now discontinued 440 is built like the "pro" saw's Mag case, only the old 346 can lay claim to this in modern saws?
Better idea lets take a MS 250 and compare it to the old 346 Husky I can here the cry's now that's not fair! hell only a little diff in the cc,but the mighty Stihl should be able to run against it right?lol

:agree2:

Thanks, Cliff. You're the voice of experience and restraint here.
The thread was starting to degenerate in to "Echo sucks" "No, YOU suck".
Good piont, Opinion matters too For me I really don't think much of the little Stihls. Even the 260 is questionable as I don't think it's as good as the swead sisters.:) Heck we all base things on personal experience and opinion.
But I would take a 026 or 260 if one came along at a good deal

Last edited:
Better idea lets take a MS 250 and compare it to the old 346 Husky I can here the cry's now that's not fair! hell only a little diff in the cc,but the mighty Stihl should be able to run against it right?lol

I don't care for the 250 myself but it is in a different class than the 346, the correct comparison would be the 260 vs 346. The 250 would go up against the cheap huskies(of same size) sold at blowes and the home crapo, where the 250 would come out on top.

Anything made in Japan in outdoor power equipment is pretty good stuff. Not really any junk comes out of Japan. May not be the lightest or the fastest but still good.

I only ran an Echo once, in 1984 I field tested their 610 twin cylinder. I put it through its paces for 2 days and I was very impressed with its smoothness,and quality of design. Seeing Echo had the capability to build such a saw 25 yrs ago gives me great respect for their company. Why didn't I switch to Echo? No dealership in my area.

I only ran an Echo once, in 1984 I field tested their 610 twin cylinder. I put it through its paces for 2 days and I was very impressed with its smoothness,and quality of design. Seeing Echo had the capability to build such a saw 25 yrs ago gives me great respect for their company. Why didn't I switch to Echo? No dealership in my area.

Anyone used to running Stihl and husky, not even a man like yourself, is going to switch to echo.......

Anyone used to running Stihl and husky, not even a man like yourself, is going to switch to echo.......

Yes you are correct 2000. Echo just didn't have the backup for the pro industry. But I must say I sure wish I bought that little twin and held onto it.:cry:

I don't care for the 250 myself but it is in a different class than the 346, the correct comparison would be the 260 vs 346. The 250 would go up against the cheap huskies(of same size) sold at blowes and the home crapo, where the 250 would come out on top.
Yes but the old 346 is still in the same cc class of saw? The new346/2153 according to many posts on here will kick a 260 aXX so will my 2152.I don't hate Stihls I think they make a good big saw 60cc to 120cc. The 044 might just be the most well built 70cc out there. Nothing flashy but gets the job done and lasts forever.

I ran a 250 against my Poulan 295/4620 the Stihl LOST! for double the money it cost okay 2.5x cost, so the owner went and bought a 260 now at least he has a good saw!
But to me it sounds like a bit of whining and excuses as why the 250 45cc cant cut with a 46cc Husky/Jred because I thought Stihl can do no wrong?
Oh I am waiting for the apples to Oranges thing here. Wait the Husk Jred is a Peach!

Last edited:
I missed out on the echo`s and ended up getting my dad to pick up a Jonsered 525!!! will have to ait till later on in the month to get to try it though.
If any one has any thoughts on this saw I would appreciate replies.
cheers
Mike:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back