Echo ? Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
23years ago echos were the first saws i ever used, along with a homey c72 monster, they had their time and place, the company got complacent as far as r&d and lost significant market share and me too as a customer...they are DESPERATLY trying to regain it back....they have a pathetic reasoning behind not publishing their hp ratings, would any of u buy a new car without asking how much hp it produces ?.......Cumon echo :dizzy:

Yes but the old 346 is still in the same cc class of saw? The new346/2153 according to many posts on here will kick a 260 aXX so will my 2152.I don't hate Stihls I think they make a good big saw 60cc to 120cc. The 044 might just be the most well built 70cc out there. Nothing flashy but gets the job done and lasts forever.

Yup, same cc class but the 346 is/was aimed at the "pro" crowd. My 026 has "49cc" on the handle if it matters.:D I agree the NE346 is faster than a 260 but give me a 260 anyday over one. As far as your 2152 kicking a 260, I'm not going to say it will or won't but bring it to our gtg and we can find out. I also think Stihl needs to give the 260 more power but they run stong when ported. With the 2010 doomsday coming, I don't see Stihl wasteing r&d on a saw that won't meet epa's regs. Stihl looks at the 260 and it's sales speak highly, if they were going to change it for more power, that should have happened awhile ago but it keeps selling strong.

I ran a 250 against my Poulan 295/4620 the Stihl LOST! for double the money it cost okay 2.5x cost, so the owner went and bought a 260 now at least he has a good saw!
But to me it sounds like a bit of whining and excuses as why the 250 45cc cant cut with a 46cc Husky/Jred because I thought Stihl can do no wrong?
Oh I am waiting for the apples to Oranges thing here. Wait the Husk Jred is a Peach!

Good for your pull on! That may have been when they were making decent saws. Edit: That model is sold in blowes, LOL. If your 295/4620 is stock, I would have to see it outcut a 250 in person.....

And yes you are comparing the apples to oranges when you do the 250 vs. 346. Home owner saw vs. pro saw, get real. Which pullonhuska model in blowes has ~45cc? That would be the 250's competetion. I would bet the 250 out sells the 346 though, as the 260 does too. My dealer moves quite a few 250s and 260s, explains the difference in price and sells the customer what they need. If Joe blow wants to cut a few trees, he gets the 250. If T&A tree company needs a good limber/big climbing saw, they get the 260.

Last edited:
23years ago echos were the first saws i ever used, along with a homey c72 monster, they had their time and place, the company got complacent as far as r&d and lost significant market share and me too as a customer...they are DESPERATLY trying to regain it back....they have a pathetic reasoning behind not publishing their hp ratings, would any of u buy a new car without asking how much hp it produces ?.......Cumon echo :dizzy:

Complacent as far as R &D....Are you out of your mind, I mean, honestly, what color is the sky where you are man? Echo has remained on the cutting edge of 2 stroke technology, and their quality is top of the line, always has been.

HP ratings are misleading, and dont accuratly represent the ability of a saw. Type of chain, bar length, engine tune and oil mix have a profound effect on actual power output. Just because a Huskastihlared is advertised at 3.8hp, doesnt actually mean the saw you just bought is actually putting out 3.8hp.

People like to bash the strong, inexpensive, and lighweight PLASTIC parts echo uses..the Rear Handle, recoil housing, bar/clutch cover, and other bits of cladding. I can only say that Ive never replaced a single peice of plastic housing that wouldnt have broken regardless of material type. At least plastic is not espensive like magnesium, and plastic does have a little give to it of you drop the saw, or a peice of equipment runs over it, it will have some give before parts start breaking.

People like to bash the Echo's that use the clamshell engine style. The bearings, seals, etc are encased in a horizontally split housing, the desgin is rigid, simple, and efficient. In the event of a failure, no special tools are required to completly disassemble the saw down to the bar crank/rod. Has ANYONE actually seen an ECHO saw fail because of the clamshell design? There is no flex, no play, the clamshell keeps everything in line, The clamshell is then bolted to either a metal housing (larger CC models) or a gussetted plastic housing (smaller models). And the housing is suspended within a cradel (anti-vibe).

The place I work at has been an ECHO/Kioritz/Kyoritsu dealer since the beginning and we have yet to witness a failure due to a design flaw. The clamshell design is sound..bash it all you want, it will hold up to daily abuse.

New here. No dog in this race, but I've been researching saws. Downloaded the manuals for both the Jonsered 2153 C and the Husqvarna 346 XP. The manuals are almost exact copies of one another. Engines have exact same published tech specs, bore and stroke, carbs, etc, . . .

Your question kind of got overlooked by the rabid faithful for each of the brands. Jonsered and Husqvarna have the same parent company, so a lot of their saws have strong similarities.

Philbert

well i like my echo cs-900. It pulls a 36" bar real well and mills great i was really surprised. It doesnt rev high but i would like to see it mill next to an 066 because they're almost the same cc.

Your question kind of got overlooked by the rabid faithful for each of the brands. Jonsered and Husqvarna have the same parent company, so a lot of their saws have strong similarities.

Philbert

Parent Company is POULAN?:monkey:

Parent Company is POULAN?:monkey:

As of 12 June 2006, the former Outdoor Products operations of Electrolux has been divested as a separate company, Husqvarna AB. Husqvarna AB is the parent company in the Husqvarna Group, covering outdoor brands such as Husqvarna, Jonsered, McCulloch, Partner, Poulan and WeedEater, as well as construction equipment brands like Diamant Boart and Partner Industrial. To access information about the Husqvarna Group and its range of brands, please go to www.husqvarna.com.

Electrolux also makes vacuum cleaners.

Philbert

Electrolux also makes vacuum cleaners.

Philbert

I know...but it is just so much fun when you look at those little orange and red poulans isnt it?

Just the other day I helped a customer with a broken Husky get back cutting with some parts off a cooked green poulan...the look on his face when I explained why the parts fit so well..priceless.

Just an observation.... There are so many threads on how to fix a scored piston, how to change P/C, my saw locked up, my saw won't run, etc. etc. on and on if you follow me. I noticed most are stihl, husq, jonsered, dolmar... The "Big Boys". I have looked at peoples equipment in their profiles, and it seems that when you do the math there are alot more of the "Big Boys" dying than echos ! When I do the math, it seems that echos are more cost effective. ie. downtime,repairs,price. I would rather spend more time in a cut then at the dealer or in my garage or asking everyone whats wrong with my saw ? I have no patience for properly maintained equip to fail due to poor engineering. This is why i have started using echos. Hour for hour my echos have been the best machines in my arsenal. No...... I am not saying echos are the best. I have owned many brands and treated them the same way. The echos equipment always seems to never have to come apart or go to dealer.:) Just my opinion and observations. And don't ask about my math.... I only have 8 fingers !

Just an observation.... There are so many threads on how to fix a scored piston, how to change P/C, my saw locked up, my saw won't run, etc. etc. on and on if you follow me. I noticed most are stihl, husq, jonsered, dolmar... The "Big Boys". I have looked at peoples equipment in their profiles, and it seems that when you do the math there are alot more of the "Big Boys" dying than echos ! When I do the math, it seems that echos are more cost effective. ie. downtime,repairs,price. I would rather spend more time in a cut then at the dealer or in my garage or asking everyone whats wrong with my saw ? I have no patience for properly maintained equip to fail due to poor engineering. This is why i have started using echos. Hour for hour my echos have been the best machines in my arsenal. No...... I am not saying echos are the best. I have owned many brands and treated them the same way. The echos equipment always seems to never have to come apart or go to dealer.:) Just my opinion and observations. And don't ask about my math.... I only have 8 fingers !

:agree2: I still have a 15 year old ECHO weed whipper that just wont die.

Just an observation.... There are so many threads on how to fix a scored piston, how to change P/C, my saw locked up, my saw won't run, etc. etc. on and on if you follow me. I noticed most are stihl, husq, jonsered, dolmar... The "Big Boys". !

Part of that has to do with how some people use/abuse their saws. Some people look at tools as durable resources to be respected and maintained. Others look at tools as consumable resources to be used up as part of getting the job done.

The other issue to consider is whether a saw is WORTH rebuilding or CAN be rebuilt. There are a lot of dead saws out there that are not worth rebuilding due to the cost of parts compared to the overall value of the saw, the replacement cost of the saw, availability of parts, etc. Some saws are junk to begin with and not designed to be repaired, even if you can find parts. They are disposable at best.

Note that I am not judging Echo saws here, as I have no personal experience with them. But the fact that a lot of guys are taking the time and effort to rebuild their "stihl, husq, jonsered, dolmar..." saws indicates to me that they CAN do it with those saws and that it is WORTH it. Not that those saws necessarily are less reliable and have more problems.

Philbert

Back