Echo's new top handle: CS-355T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought one this evening. I haven't cut with it yet,but I have a nice size oak removal to do tomorrow.... I will put it to the test! I must say the saw feels REALLY good in the hand and feels well balanced. It sounds good and strong. I hope it saws as good as it feels and sounds! Will update tomorrow.

Cool man, keep us posted:)

A video would be nice besides the obligatory pictures! :D

You know the rule no pics it hasn't happened.

Av

I just bought one this evening. I haven't cut with it yet,but I have a nice size oak removal to do tomorrow.... I will put it to the test! I must say the saw feels REALLY good in the hand and feels well balanced. It sounds good and strong. I hope it saws as good as it feels and sounds! Will update tomorrow.

if u can, please - tell how the anti-vibration / vibration-isolation works in your opinion, and if possible, comparing to what saws u useb before or still use.. say?

Jo.

Well I ran the saw a lot today and I'm very impressed with it. I revs like a 200 and has what seems to be equal power of a 201. The engine is smooth and makes power smooth....no lag to it between r.p.m ranges and revs right up on command.
I was able to make some very technical cuts with it with ease.(fence within 6 feet of the base and limbs about 10 inch diameter....angle wedge cut and slow sawwing "walking " them to safe drop zone and finishing the cut with spot on timing and speed...) The saw really performed. The handle of it ,like others have stated, really makes this saw shine. They have the best feel of any trim-saw I have ran. The anti-vibe system must work good because I never noticed any vibes at all...
If I was trying to pick this saw apart,the only negatives I could come up with are 1. It does have kinda small fuel and oil openings 2. It seems to run out of gas faster than the 200 or 201... (maybe I was doing more cutting than previous saws....Lol!
Ohh, I was running a 14'' bar and a semi-chisel non-safety chain like I always run on trim-saws.
I haven't mastered posting pics on here,so I'll put one as my avatar...
Hope this might help someone that's on the fence over one these saws.
I say "BIG THUMBS UP!"

Thanks

Well I ran the saw a lot today and I'm very impressed with it. I revs like a 200 and has what seems to be equal power of a 201. The engine is smooth and makes power smooth....no lag to it between r.p.m ranges and revs right up on command.
I was able to make some very technical cuts with it with ease.(fence within 6 feet of the base and limbs about 10 inch diameter....angle wedge cut and slow sawwing "walking " them to safe drop zone and finishing the cut with spot on timing and speed...) The saw really performed. The handle of it ,like others have stated, really makes this saw shine. They have the best feel of any trim-saw I have ran. The anti-vibe system must work good because I never noticed any vibes at all...
If I was trying to pick this saw apart,the only negatives I could come up with are 1. It does have kinda small fuel and oil openings 2. It seems to run out of gas faster than the 200 or 201... (maybe I was doing more cutting than previous saws....Lol!
Ohh, I was running a 14'' bar and a semi-chisel non-safety chain like I always run on trim-saws.
I haven't mastered posting pics on here,so I'll put one as my avatar...
Hope this might help someone that's on the fence over one these saws.
I say "BIG THUMBS UP!"

Ive been reading this thread for an hour or so. Finally got to some sound opinion based off of a solid day of experience! Thanks!

Had to read through the unkind terrible posts of PGG or PPG or whatever his name is, but it was worth it. It was honestly the first time Ive read talk like that from a forum that I respect immensely and pull so much wisdom and knowledge from. Guy sounds like a royal &*($

I may have to buy a 355 as a "backup" saw to my modded 201t (again, this forum allowed me to do that, and thank god for the mod walk-through). When I first started climbing full time 2 years ago I had an new Echo 360T. I didn't like it. It wouldn't stay running, it would bog in cuts, shut off at odd times, take too many pulls to get going (even when warm). So I bought a used 201T (because I'm new to climbing I haven't had the pleasure of a 200t) and stuck with that till I bought a new 201T and modded it (what a difference!!!).

Alas, I am in year 2. 4 promotions all the way to primary full+overtime climber, lots of equipment mistakes, tons of reading this forum and now I need backup equipment. And I guess I'll try the 355 and see how it goes.

This rant is really just to say thanks to everyone...

Ive been reading this thread for an hour or so. Finally got to some sound opinion based off of a solid day of experience! Thanks!

Had to read through the unkind terrible posts of PGG or PPG or whatever his name is, but it was worth it. It was honestly the first time Ive read talk like that from a forum that I respect immensely and pull so much wisdom and knowledge from. Guy sounds like a royal &*($

I may have to buy a 355 as a "backup" saw to my modded 201t (again, this forum allowed me to do that, and thank god for the mod walk-through). When I first started climbing full time 2 years ago I had an new Echo 360T. I didn't like it. It wouldn't stay running, it would bog in cuts, shut off at odd times, take too many pulls to get going (even when warm). So I bought a used 201T (because I'm new to climbing I haven't had the pleasure of a 200t) and stuck with that till I bought a new 201T and modded it (what a difference!!!).

Alas, I am in year 2. 4 promotions all the way to primary full+overtime climber, lots of equipment mistakes, tons of reading this forum and now I need backup equipment. And I guess I'll try the 355 and see how it goes.

Don't be suprised if your modded 201T backs up the 355T,mine does the 201T has a little more power but the 355 feels better.

Well, you're half right.

I don't know that there is any royalty in his family though!

Mike

Don't be suprised if your modded 201T backs up the 355T,mine does the 201T has a little more power but the 355 feels better.

I like this. In a game of inches, I'll roll what feels better, especially when its in my hand for more than 8 hours a day. That little palm rest seemed ridiculous at first glance....but then I started thinking about it, and if my arm has to work that much harder to hold a typical top handle compared to that little point of leverage on the 355 handle...idk...again, thinking...

In my reading since the post I have found there are two types of 355t's available. Carb compliant and non compliant. Also, they are not available in several states...

I'm wondering if this is the reason they are creating happy climbers in comparison to the 201t owners, is it that they aren't compliant with environmental restrictions in certain states/countries thereby limiting their availability in those areas? Is this the reason they are creating a fast following of happy users saying they are quite powerful? I feel like this question may have been brushed against in an earlier post but wasn't fully elaborated on. Maybe that's why the 201's aren't up to the usual standards, because Stihl has to make their product available everywhere? IDK, is this malarkey?

Ordering one next week for sure regardless.

Country Homes Power - Husqvarna T540XP

I saw one cheaper somewhere else a day or two ago, but didn't bookmark the link.

This is our former local echo and stihl dealer. Still have some Stihl I believe, but with multiple bad experiences there over the years, I'll never shop them again...
They're not even listed on stihl's site as a dealer seem to remember. Don't really like to service, just sell you new equipment.

What really astonishes me is that these companies still haven't recognized the possibility to individualize the grip. I mean every handgun company is offering this since years but these companies are deaf to individual needs.

Dealer cut me a deal on one yesterday. I like it so far and can't wait to work it beside my other topping saws and see where it cuts.

Hi guys!
It's my first post, I read all 25 pages of that thread to find out I'm "Stihl" confuse about my choice...

I have about 140 feet’s of 5' tall X 5' wide hedges to cut composed of 1" and 2" branches, 100 feet’s need to be cut 3 feet’s high, 40 feet’s to 2 feet’s high and all section trim to 3' wide. A 4hr job with a chain saw I use to do with an old 015 top handle Stihl, I give my CS to my brother and decided to buy a new one, I learn the mistake I made soon enough....

They all look like plastic toys now and those with "partial" magnesium on cost megabuck! Since I want a top handle I have to stretch my budget over $300 (I live in Canada...add %15 taxes) after doing some search 3 product catch my attention Stihl MS192TC-E / Husqvarna 334T / Echo CS360T

I can find the Husky so I check for the Stihl ($339) and the Echo ($349), I'm no expert but I think the Echo is more powerful so I decide to buy one until I read all comments about the "New" to me CS355T! Back to the starting line again...This is too expensive for that job.....No I don't want to rent one...No I don't want a used chain saw....Crap.

Thank you for all the fun reading... ^_^

I have about 140 feet’s of 5' tall X 5' wide hedges to cut composed of 1" and 2" branches, 100 feet’s need to be cut 3 feet’s high, 40 feet’s to 2 feet’s high and all section trim to 3' wide. A 4hr job with a chain saw I use to do with an old 015 top handle Stihl, I give my CS to my brother and decided to buy a new one, I learn the mistake I made soon enough....

They all look like plastic toys now and those with "partial" magnesium on cost megabuck!

Oldskull, check out the Silky website. Those products are all high grade metal and suit your needs more than enough.
No pun intended!

talking tophandle saws the 334XPT husky is by far the best choice of those three, the 360T echo a distant second and the 192T is just a airy-fairy sorry a$$ when it comes to it's engine, 192T zero torque and piddling horsepower with an annoying peaky power curve, a 12" bar is far too much for it and, hilariously, stihl dealers still manage to hoist 14" bars onto the poor newbie buyer.

The 10" bar setup (wide tip not a carving bar) is what you want on the 192T. It's skinny 3/8LP .043 stuff, around the 42 link mark, .043 the cutting teeth are narrower too, narrower than normal .050 and the chains are weaker. And BTW get this - 1/4 pitch chain is the best of the lot stronger and more durable than any 3/8LP chain you can find. Years back the wide-boys and the shifty scheming vultures and the weasels running the chainsaw firms all colluded together to phase-out and get rid of 1/4 pitch sprockets bars and chains, we can't go on supplying Joe Public quality stuff you see.

192T's only saviour it's the most agile TH saw (except of course the nonsense chinese 25cc toys from wallymart) and a 192T's nice and light and easy on the arms. The engine will last for homeyard Joe and co, burns it's guts out on commercial stuff. Don't ask, they're reasonably tough engine but still cheaply-made garbage in the whole scheme of things

Now to the horribly plastic-feeling 360T mmwwaahah, there's various know-alls on this site who get all snotty when I tell 'em the 360T is just a POS, some here claim they're professional users but the saws I'm talking about do triple their hours in one month than they'll do in 6 months. Just seen YET ANOTHER 360T burn it's guts out, the sixth so far, gutted muffler and jetted this one lasted a whole six months or so. Needless to say buggered seals from grooved crank means throw into the river or keep as spares for the next POS echo that comes along...

But big improvement over the usual 3-4 weeks running stock from the shop where they overheat themselves to a screeching halt before long. Pro-stihls and huskies still running sweet after ten years on original crank with a bit of a spruce up to the top-end every couple of years or so. Music to the ears as the echos do their death rattle.

The 334XPT, supposedly down on power over the grunty-as 335 and 338, pro-saw performance tuned down for backyard Bill, don't know how, possibly narrower ports or something but open the muffler, triple the size of the exhaust outlet and you'd get 1.5kw easy enough. The husky engine decades old and the echos latest and greatest effort, the 355, from strip-down pics on this site from the modder crowd, looks similar except the husky engine looks classier with better components. Not bad echo, getting close now, just catching up to huskys ten year old design... hohoho. As for the ridiculous "crank stuffer" B.S. what absolute nonsense, gimme one of those 355 echos as a bush saw, I'd send those crank stuffers flying out the exhaust. Along with a bit of shrapnel hopefully.. hohoho

Latest posts

Back