Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
156 great saw!!!

I think you may be surprised at how good they really are. We've got a year and a half on a 156, hasn't had a single issue. I'd take it over a 310 anyday.
We've cut a heck of alot of wood with it, hired help has used and abused it and it keeps on going. The recoil spring/starter rope assembly is making a liitle noise when it rewinds, need to take it apart and make sure something (stick/debris) isn't hung up it it. It sips fuel as well, hope it works out. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one for our commercial firewood operation.
indiansprings you've found out what I have. Great saw!!! Have a 156 as well and it has cut the majority of my firewood for this winter. Must say it really surprised me. After looking at all the new saw options and researching this 156 for probably close to 6 months I just decided to buy it. No one I know of has one or ever heard of one. But it's been one of the really great surprises in my years of cutting wood. I swear the cylinder is Meteor? Does anyone know? Scott at Chainsawr.com would know. He sells them. I have a 310 and I agree!

Great to find this thread. Noticed several comments RE oiling issues and both my Cub and Efco do not supply enough oil. Yes I am a total newbie but what hole are you opening up on the bar? There are 2 that go threw and one 1/2 way. The Cub ran and oiled fine the first couple years but now fails to oil. The Efco hasn't oiled properly and I only ran 1 tank threw it. I bought it off EBay because I loved the Cub and wanted a spare.

Is there an online service manual available?
You know about the small screw on the bottom to turn up the oiler right? I would contact Scott at Chainsawr.com. Call him before noon. Good luck!

You know about the small screw on the bottom to turn up the oiler right? I would contact Scott at Chainsawr.com. Call him before noon. Good luck!

I don't know about the Efco branded saws - but . . . I bought a bunch of John Deere CS56 saws when Deere stopped selling the Efcos. Most were $250 each - brand new with 20" bars. The Deere-branded saws each had a drop of glue on the oil-pump adjuster and it was factory-set at the MAX setting. Also, in the Deere manual, the adjuster is not mentioned.

When I paid $250, I was leery of the saws. Now? I wished the heck I'd bought more. Fantastic saws !!

If the efco is under warranty..id just take it back to where i bought it. Or contact efco directly and see what they say...The efco oiler has a metal internal gear but the worm gear that fits into the clutch drum is plastic and could also be stripped(most likely...as i have never seen a stripped oiler assembly gear). Make sure to thin your bar oil with kerosene this winter so the oil flows better. Either way we'll get you cuttin wood again.

Contacted efco waiting on a response.

The Cub was a bit gunked up cleaned it and it oils somewhat. Counter clock wise increases flow right? It has a plastic oiler the one on the efco is metal. Adjustment screw partially stripped??? Flushed it with diesel which seemed to help. Id like to buy that oiler of you if it's metal.

Question; the limiters on the efco are strange the saw bogs on the top end how do you turn these things and which way is richer counter or clockwise? U guys are right on the efco bar, it has tiny oil feed openings! The arbormax openings are twice the size.

Oh yeah they don't do much and the one on the Cub is damaged yeah most likely by me:)

Looks like the Cub will function??? The efco I don't want to run it the way it's tuned, seems lean on the top end. Bogs out load or no load.

On another note I contacted efco RE a service manual they won't sell them to homeowners bummer!

indiansprings you've found out what I have. Great saw!!! Have a 156 as well and it has cut the majority of my firewood for this winter. Must say it really surprised me. After looking at all the new saw options and researching this 156 for probably close to 6 months I just decided to buy it. No one I know of has one or ever heard of one. But it's been one of the really great surprises in my years of cutting wood. I swear the cylinder is Meteor? Does anyone know? Scott at Chainsawr.com would know. He sells them. I have a 310 and I agree!

The cylinders in all efco even the john deere and cub cadet efco chainsaws are made by gilardoni out of Italy. The reason they may remind you of meteor is because the meteor cylinders that baileys sells are cast in Taiwan and then shipped to the gilardoni factory to be machined and plated which I guess makes them a cheapened up gilrardoni. Gilardoni cylinders are no joke.. they are top notch just like Mahl cylinders. They are in many saws including some huskies. Oh and those 156's are real nasty especially after a muffler mod. Mine woke up tremendously!
-Chris

I see where your coming from but thats the ones made by sheng feng and that looks to be a mtd saw not an actual cub cadet branded saw. The ones were are talking about are made by efco. You are right about them 55cc...I had a couple of those black 55cc craftsman saws....the poorest made saw to date.

That sheng feng company sold to husqvarna i do believe.

Efco's P/C and MM

The cylinders in all efco even the john deere and cub cadet efco chainsaws are made by gilardoni out of Italy. The reason they may remind you of meteor is because the meteor cylinders that baileys sells are cast in Taiwan and then shipped to the gilardoni factory to be machined and plated which I guess makes them a cheapened up gilrardoni. Gilardoni cylinders are no joke.. they are top notch just like Mahl cylinders. They are in many saws including some huskies. Oh and those 156's are real nasty especially after a muffler mod. Mine woke up tremendously!
-Chris
Chris, really appreciate the information!! Been wondering about these Efco cylinders for some time now.

Have been wanting to do a MM to my 156 but the exhaust port was so big to begin with forgot about it. How did you do it? Can't wait to do one now that I know that you've done this to yours. I bet it's something with a MM!! It's already quite the saw. Hard to believe more people aren't using them. Anyway thanks for the information! Very much appreciated! Bob

Last edited:
I assume this to be ported..correct? Sure does have some snap to it..Good job.

Just a little widening of the ports and muffler work. This saw is heading towards a gas race saw. Have 3 spare heads to experiment with. Next step is a trip to the machine shop, then buy a foredom.

did you try the beg for manuals thread?

Yep no factory manuals. Between the cub,deere and efco owners I thought someone would have it.

I worked on the efco yesterday. Running 100% better oiling decent and just a slight bog just needs a bit more tweaking.

On the downside the guy I bought it from didn't submit the warranty paperwork BUT and good news efco contacted them and now he is submitting the required information.....I am impressed.

Yep no factory manuals. Between the cub,deere and efco owners I thought someone would have it.

I worked on the efco yesterday. Running 100% better oiling decent and just a slight bog just needs a bit more tweaking.

On the downside the guy I bought it from didn't submit the warranty paperwork BUT and good news efco contacted them and now he is submitting the required information.....I am impressed.

no surprise bout the manual but was worth the try. might keep it bumped every now and then just for jollies. even though these saws are righteous they are still relatively unknown to the masses and pros. for that reason manuals and parts (for the older ones) are hard to come by.
glad to hear that your warranty issues are being resolved. good on ya.

If we all said pretty please would you care to show us what you did...Im curious as to how wide you went on your exhaust port and what it looks like. I think yours runs a little better than mine..although i need to try gasket less. What did you use for sealant? I got some motoseal2 ??

I think the efco 152 is one of the most interesting porting subjects. Cheap, powerful, and plentiful...kinda reminds me of the husky 350.

Last edited:
If we all said pretty please would you care to show us what you did...Im curious as to how wide you went on your exhaust port and what it looks like. I think yours runs a little better than mine..although i need to try gasket less. What did you use for sealant? I got some motoseal2 ??

I think the efco 152 is one of the most interesting porting subjects. Cheap, powerful, and plentiful...kinda reminds me of the husky 350.

Will take it apart after tomorrows GTG and get pics. Used a liquid aviation gasket maker. Got to make a degree wheel and get #'s also. I agree on the 152 being a good porting saw.

What do you guys think of the new cylinders for the efco 152? Just like the husky 350 cylinders with removable transfer covers.....I may have to buy a updated cylinder kit just to make porting easier on my next one im getting ready to do. Is there anything to not like about the updated version I should know about? dealers?

If you look at the IPL's for the efco 952 it has a different part number for the cylinder assembly than the 152(the 152 has the updated cylinder). Even though the 952 and 152 are essentially the same saw i do believe.

Well SC I wish you luck in the GTG. I bet nobody brought as many efco/emak saws as you did. Thats why we like you....you dare to be different! Be sure to let us know how you did..I will say that little yellow thing is a sleeper...BIG TIME..lol.. WOW!!

Back