Efco 152

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt a pro grade saw, will cut with a 361 any time. Pro construction,
better filtration than Stihl's pro saws. I'm pretty much a Stihl head, but our jD has performed to the same standard as the 361, 038, I was skeptical at first but after a year, I'm sold on Efco's quality.

Ok, its been awhile, but i gotta defend my emaks!! I own the cub 56cc from tsc..yes it has a mag crankcase. I also own the cs5220 ans cs5218 and a real efco 152.

Yes, the 56s are mag, the 52s are plastic. I like the way you describe it - halfway between a pro and a homeowner saw.

I'm looking for a 62 or an 82 at a good price to handle the bigger stuff...

Hmmm. Just noticed there's a 72? (Simonians' site). Didn't know about that. Gotta check it out!

Yes, the 56s are mag, the 52s are plastic. I like the way you describe it - halfway between a pro and a homeowner saw.

I'm looking for a 62 or an 82 at a good price to handle the bigger stuff...

Hmmm. Just noticed there's a 72? (Simonians' site). Didn't know about that. Gotta check it out!

Yes, the 152s are more than a homeowner saw despite the plastic case. Among other things, they do have adjustable oilers.

Love them oly's

My neighbor has the Deere cs 62 and I've run it before. Its a nice saw, but I wouldn't know about wether its pro/semi pro or what. I just know its nice and I like it. He bought it last year [by my suggestion] when they were clearing them out on E-Bay and got it for $299. Talk about a deal! He says it runs as good as his Shindiawa 757. Thats a stretch but who knows.

I've never run it side by side with my J-Red 2065 so comparison points are moot till someone does. I've run my Oly 264's side by side with the J-Red and the J-Red gets the nod. BUT. its 4cc bigger and that I'm thinking is the only edge. But the 264 is just all around cooler. They have grunt throughout the rev range and a sound like no saw I've run.

Those older Oly's are built like tanks. I would say they are overbuilt. I would love to get a 284 or 480, or better yet a 999. The guy who runs the Efco/ Oly dealer near me says the only time he's seen broken recoils on them is if one got smashed. The mufflers look allot like what the modders are trying to copy.

Slipknot, have you guys run the CS 81's or 981/181 Efco's at all? I bought one last year and haven't taken it out of the box yet. It was an impulse buy from the Bay. I had just bought my 7900, and they started clearing them out right after that. I got it for $450 delivered. My son has his eye on it so I'll probably give it to him.

Blue Ridge. Check E-bay daily. You still see Buy It Nows on the 62's and 81's but they don't last.

There were 62'S for $375 before Christmas but they didn't last the day. My coworker missed out on them. I told him to get the 56 for $299. He's skeptical.

Slipknot, have you guys run the CS 81's or 981/181 Efco's at all? I bought one last year and haven't taken it out of the box yet. It was an impulse buy from the Bay. I had just bought my 7900, and they started clearing them out right after that. I got it for $450 delivered. My son has his eye on it so I'll probably give it to him.

Yes, i used to have a J/D version. IMO i feel that efco's big saws dont run with the big boys. They make one hell of a firewood saw but if I was a pro logger i would shy away and go dolmar, or husky, or even the new solos. Why? if you've ran the 62 or even the 56 cc saw you know that its built well for everything intended for that particular saw chassis(a medium frame saw??) Now take that same chassis/frame and put a 71cc or even a 81 cc engine in it, and you have a big ole' efco!! it shares alot of the same parts as the smaller medium saws. I dont like the sloppy anti vibe system which is the same parts and #'s as what is used on the 56 or 62 cc saws. mostly they're big, heavy, and sluggish compared to other BIG saw offerings...kinda old school if ya ask me. If i remember right there just wasnt enough torq and HP for such a big saw. 81cc and 28" .375 chain is all thats recomended..thats the limit? i put a 36" and no stump power at all. I bought it for a stump chaser to minimize hr's on the stump grinder and it failed to impress anyone. They might respond well to a muff mod...as it shares the same damn muffler as the smaller 56 and 62 cc saw. I never modded it i just got rid of it on ebay. the guy that bought really liked it though. I wouldnt think it would be any count for milling either..obviously. They're weak and expensive. There I cut the throat of my fav saw MFG. Anything BIG and efco sucks. I've ran 2 others just make sure my saw wasnt suffering from an air leak or somethin. They really are all that slow. I think they top out at 11,000 rpm..i could be wrong..i just know is wasnt for me. I like speed and power! The saw was easy to start, ran well and dependable. anyone else share this same opinion of big emak/efco saws? Past 62cc what happend?

Y mostly they're big, heavy, and sluggish compared to other BIG saw offerings...kinda old school if ya ask me. If i remember right there just wasnt enough torq and HP for such a big saw.
The 71 cc Efco is built on the same frame as the 81cc, so it's a no brainer to pass on the 71cc and opt for the 81cc.

Even the 81cc is a little heavy compared to a Stihl 460 or Dolmar 7900. I'll agree that the design is not the best of class. Not a bad saw, just doesn't stand out in any way.

81cc and 28" .375 chain is all thats recomended..thats the limit? i put a 36" and no stump power at all.......
How many 460/7900 owners are running 36" bars ? Yes, it can be done, but 36" is pushing it. 36" bars are 90cc territory.

I wouldnt think it would be any count for milling either.
I don't recommend any 80cc saw for milling.

They're weak and expensive.
I paid about $250 for my big Efco, used but running like new, and it's a honking bucking saw with a 24" bar. New 81's are often seen on ebay for around $600. But, I'll concede your point that the big Efcos are not best of class.

The 62cc efco, on the other hand, is a keeper.

I think they top out at 11,000 rpm.
13,000 rpm.

I paid about $250 for my big Efco, used but running like new, and it's a honking bucking saw with a 24" bar. New 81's are often seen on ebay for around $600. But, I'll concede your point that the big Efcos are not best of class.

I don't think anybody is calling them best of class, but a good quality 80cc saw for $250?

Especially for a weekend warrior, that's hard to argue with!

yeah i think i agree with everything you said but are you serious 13k? you may be right but i remember it was for sure slower than the smaller efcos. It does the job but in the 80cc class its in last place of the 80cc saws that have been produced in the last 10-15 yrs i would think anyways. what would be below it in that class? just curious. The price is cheap now but it wasnt when i had one. wow i didnt know they were going that cheap. i want a jd 62cc just cuz i did like the green color.

Last edited:
Anybody have a line on ccadet & JD saws in Ontario? Haven't found any. The saws don't exist on manfcatureres' sites.

are you serious 13k?
Yep, 13,000 rpm on the 81, though I tune mine 12,500 to be safe. The latest models have a rev limiting coil that peaks at 13,000.

I don't have a lot of love for the 80cc class -- they are smaller than ideal for milling and heavier than ideal for felling and bucking.

Mostly they are something you can take firewood cutting with your buddy so you can say your firewood saw cuts faster than his firewood saw.

There used to be a guy on here named 4 Paws. He was a fan of big Efco's and Shindiawa's. He said they responded well to mods. I'm thinking he was opening up the ports and the Mufflers. I don't remember if he ever posted any of it.

I got my 81 for that price cause I had a 10% Pay-Pal coupon and my girlfreind did that BUY.COM thing to get me free shipping.

I don't know if you came across this with your 56, but When I had the Cub model, it ran like a dog when new and I really couldn't keep the carb settings right until around 6 or 7 tanks were through it. But after that, it really woke up. That saw showed the most improvement after breakin than any saw I ever owned. I sold that one to buy my 7900, but have since picked up a like new Oly 355AF.

Sorry i asked!!!!

The add said it was a pro saw, on investigation it wasn't. Further help said it had plastic crankcases.

Nothing wrong with saving a few bob.:)

If you don't like the thread don't answer:mad:

OK folks...this is an old thread but I have to settle something here....The efco 152/ John Deere cs52 has a magnesium crank case..it has a plastic oil tank and a plastic handle/gas tank. It is a drop in engine design...meaning that the whole engine is separate from the rest of the saw. Please stop the misinformation..efco saws are top notch just like the stihls and husqvarnas out there. Thanks

There's nothing wrong with the drop in engine design, Oleo Mac have been using this design since the early 90s, it's certainly strong enough.

drMedium.jpg

Hey what model is that? It looks like a efco 152 would drop right into it...same bolt pattern maybe....That looks like the predecessor to the 952/152 series. Why would i do that? I dont know...just a tinkerer at heart....so i gues to see if it can be done..lol

Back