Efco and Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj701

Reaction score
I'm looking at a new saw in the 50 cc range. Primary use will be bucking some trees and firewood cutting. I've had my eye on the Efco 152 and the Echo cs-500P. Any experience with these saws as far as reliability?

I've owned a Stihl 025 in the past and didn't care for it and I can't stand my local Stihl dealer so I won't buy a Stihl because of the local guy. Unless you have a trailer with 2 Ztr's on it he doesn't want your business, last time I was in there and wanted some Stihl pull cord he charged $21 for a length for my saw, that was the last straw, won't go back. Not being able to get common parts online is also an issue with Stihl to me.

I currently own an older Echo cs-300evl and other than parts starting to go obsolete it has been rock solid for a small saw so that's why i'm looking at them again. I also have other recent Echo equipment and it has performed well for me. Also if I can't make it to the local dealer by the time they close I can order parts online, 9-5 hours Monday thru Friday don't work for everyone.

Other local dealer is an Efco, Husky, Redmax dealer. Efco looks to be the best bang for the buck. The online reviews sound good for them as well. I had a Topso in the past, were these brands related? Not sure about online parts availability, which is important to me.

Hey there,

Welcome to Arboristsite! I have used a few efco and echo saws and both have been a pleasure to use. They seem to be a good value homeowner option. I would say online part sourcing will be easiest for a husky or echo. Both of your other options are not impossible, but harder to find parts for in my experience.

Efco 156 is a great saw. My stihl 026 just sits on the shelf.

I have to agree with the Echo MS590 Timberwolf, GREAT saw for the money spent. Echo ( in my area ) has Great dealer support. I would be concerned with Efco and their support. I know they have good saws but may lack standing behing them. This may be different in your area.

I also agree with Philip Wheeloch about a cost-efficent alternative to Stihl and Husky. For what you need I believe Echo will fill the bill. Good selection and quality.

I have a 590 and like it very much! It is a little heavier than some others but I don't use it every day all day. I'm a homeowner firewood hack and heater.

I used a 520p for some logging in the UK during a 6 month period and had no issues with it, it even took a tree falling on it and kept going. That one was mildly ported. I would suggest the 500P, though, as it is a Shindaiwa 452S/502S chassis with a 50cc top end. So it weighs about what a 45cc saw weighs with 50cc saw grunt - roughly 12 ounces less than a 346xp NE. When I first picked one up, I thought I had accidentally grabbed a 40cc saw. It's also very compact.

My CS500p is nice and light but doesn't have the power of the Cs510,520 or 530 saws yet with around 6 or 7 tanks through it. One day out by the mill being a little absent minded I was thinking that my CS500 was really picking up power only to look down and see that I had my CS530. Steve

Latest posts

Back