EFCO Brand - Please leave me your feedback!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honest opinion of Efco saws

How many of you have heard of EFCO saws/trimmers? If so, where?

I own 2 Efco saws. I have had my Efco 156 since new and my top handle 132 I bought used. I found out about EFCO through the Arboristsite.

What do you like about the products themselves? (lightweight, noise, power, etc)

Efco 156: nice basic design, reliability, comes with Oregon Powermatch bar, lightweight for 56cc, good power, comes with file/tool and it handles well. The Efco 156 is worth every dollar I spent on it. :chainsawguy:

Efco 132: I don't necessarily like this saw compared to my Jonsered 2139t but for a $100 the 132 was a great used saw deal. Good lightweight, light duty, back yard limbing saw.

What seperates brands like Stihl and Husky from EFCO?

PARTS AVAILABILITY (can't stress that enough), can't find anything local or on the internet for that matter. (Thank you 8433Jeff for the gasket!)
No dealers other than a big box store around me=no support
Lower price, slightly lower build quality in the 156 compared to Pro Stihl/Pro Husky
Big difference in quality between the 132 and Jonsered 2139t but that's comparing a pro saw to homeowner saw.

What would EFCO have to do to earn your business?
What other complaints or complements do you have for the brand as a whole?
What would you change?

Top handle saw power/construction improvement. It is priced well.... "you get what you pay for" but if Efco wants to compete with other brands in this category they will definitely need to up the build/power.
I have heard that the 152 is a pretty good saw as well. I might buy one just to find out :msp_biggrin: I would be interested in the 162 as well.
I have been VERY happy with the Efco 156 :rock: I have seen a very good condition John Deere CS56 (Efco 156) go for 70% of what a new one would cost on the Bay, so they do hold their value to people that know what this saw is all about. Problem is, nobody knows about em. I continually think I need a Stihl 361 instead of my Efco 156 but after running the 156 all day I change my mind.
I have never run a bigger CC Efco but compared to other brands on paper, I don't think I would consider Efco for a big saw.

Hello.

Our marketing team is meeting with the EMAK group (Italy)

Put a Desmo sticker on the side;)
I'm in the market for a new trimmer.There was a dealer here(Nova Scotia) but is now closed down.He's a member here actually.Maybe he has some insight.

How many of you have heard of EFCO saws/trimmers? If so, where?
- First saw the name in the Bailey's catalog a few years ago. Since then, I've heard the name around these forums.

What do you like about the products themselves?
- Made in Italy. That's a huge selling point. Exploit that. Comparable models to the big names, minus 90+ cc saws, which isn't a big problem. I've heard the saws are as easy to work on as the others we're used to.

What seperates brands like Stihl and Husky from EFCO?
- I just had to look on your website to find dealers. There are a handful inside a 30 mile radius, which is good. The bad part is that I didn't know before doing the search. Stihl and Husky dealers have their signs and advertisements pasted up everywhere. I know where all their dealers are without having to check online. Just as I'm driving down the road, oh look.....another big Orange sign.

- I need to know that I'll be able to get parts quickly. I like buying parts online, as I'm looking at my IPL's on the computer, but the day before Hurricane Sandy, I needed serious supplies. I was able to hit 3 Stihl dealers and find everything I needed. I also smoked a bunch of parts in the storm cleanup and was able to replenish myself over a lunch break. Having dealers with a huge supply of parts is KEY. Even some of the Orange dealers don't carry enough parts for my liking. 7/10 times they need to order the part. If Efco had a large footprint brick&mortar store with loads of parts for all the pro saws, I would no doubt be running at least one Efco saw. Even if there were only 2 shops covering the whole of NJ, I would drive an hour knowing I can buy a huge supply of parts when I get to the shop. Friendly staff that is willing to talk shop with customers would be a huge selling point too. That is hard to come by. You can try to sell the 'dealer experience', which would set you aside from most other stores. Kind of like all the stories I've read of guys walking into Madsen's. Or when you spend hours at a Cabela's. Time = money. We all drop loads of money at Cabela's on things we don't even need, just because we're there, staring at all these things we'd love to own. Same with saws....... at least for most of the guys you'll find on this site.

What other complaints or complements do you have for the brand as a whole?
- Mostly covered this in the last bullet. Get some saws into the hands of a bunch of us on the site, and we'll sell the name FOR you. Obviously you can't be giving away stuff for free, or the company would go under. But I know I'd be willing to spend a nicely reduced price on one. I could probably speak for most guys here - when neighbors, friends, coworkers, and family members need input on what saw to buy, they ask me. I'm the 'crazy chain saw guy' to all the people around me. Words spread faster than newspaper ads.

What would you change?
- Covered mostly above. I've contemplated buying an Efco from Bailey's a few times in the last couple years. I've been hesitant, as I don't want to buy a Delorean. Great car........good luck finding parts 20 years after they quit producing them. Cure the anxiety! :msp_w00t:

Any other questions I can help out with, I'm more than willing to lend/share info and ideas.

Beautiful castings...
Would like to see all quad port designs... Make them modifiable...
And push a huge dealer network.. If that's not possible, an online store with a huge parts cache...
Love the 962 and the CS56...

efco 181 ......

Another crazy chainsaw guy here.I have an efco 181 ,great running saw. It is a little worn and I would like to rebuild it but your parts are very limited and in relation to other brands very prohibitive in price. We have a local dealer but the saws are an after thought in a hardware store. The one thing I don't like is the air filtration. I would try the top handle if parts weren't such a costly problem. The Nascar deal would work in my area too. hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've got half a dozen 200 series Olympiks here in varying states of running, project, and parts to finish projects. Like many other 30 year old machines, some parts are hard to come by, and it's a drive to a servicing dealer. Menards sells em a little ways up the road, but to the average Joe (IE non AS member saw junkie), they're just another no-name saw like everything else on the rack, only with a higher price tag. There's not the brand recognition Stihl/Husky have to make the average saw buyer think "this is quality, that's why it costs more."

It's been said before, but advertising and a good network of SERVICING dealers with parts on hand would pay big dividends.

My work saws are Dolmars, much of the same can be said for them, good product, but poor marketing and dealer network. Unless and until that changes, they'll also continue to be a saw that's loved by the few that have them, and unknown to the rest of the saw buying public.

You could start by being a sponsor on this site.

Online sales, with a non "busy" design but fully developed website that doesn't suck and full parts availability is a big plus. Rolling out 10,000 local well stocked dealers is hard, having at least a fantastic online sales effort would help. If you sell at a box store, make it so the box store is at least where the customers could get parts!

Some of these european and japanese websites for OPE are from areas that have 50 times the bandwith and throughput speeds that are not the norm in the US. The developers and companies are blinded by what THEY have available and think the entire USA is like that. It is mostly here only the major urban areas that have anything approaching decent internet connections. There are huge swathes and areas of the US that are lucky to get dialup speeds, or are limited to expensive and limited cellular wireless data "plans" that mean people are viewing your site on a 3-4 inch screen. Flash heavy busy websites are a major disadvantage for online shopping. At least offer a "low res" version and/or "mobile" version of the site linked to and prominently displayed on the landing page.

Besides that, I have only seen one used efco anything, they just don't exist here, and as indicated above, they get confused with echo, which is more prominent. The only thing I know about them is what I have read here.

As to engineering, rember the US has hard to comply with EPA regs and crap ethanol fuel that eats up lines/gaskets, etc. Saws that burn up at stock carb settings as shipped because they are too lean and can't be adjusted without bypassing the official carb stops and can't handle heavily laced ethanol fuel won't get any brand loyalty. That's why the "disposable saw" market developed, even though most of those saws wouldn't have broken if they could be adjusted correctly and didn't have the plastic and rubber parts disintegrate. A long multi year "warranty" means nothing when a saw is returned and the sawshop counter person just rubber stamps their mantra "straight gassed" and refuses to honor the warranty. Build a saw that can both run well with the stock settings and not gunk up in one year from stale ethanol fuel and you might do well.

How to do that, I don't know, if I did, I would be running a big saw company ;)

How many of you have heard of EFCO saws/trimmers? If so, where?I've hear about them on this forum and have seen the saws at Menard's stores.

What do you like about the products themselves? (lightweight, noise, power, etc) I had an MT4000 earlier this year. I thought it was well made and well engineered. Ran very well and cut very well.

What seperates brands like Stihl and Husky from EFCO? #1, those brands have been pushing hard in this country for 35 years. #2, you won't see those two brands 'rebadged' for other retailers (like John Deere).

What would EFCO have to do to earn your business? Nothing, the saw I had was for resale but if I get another one, I may keep it.

What other complaints or complements do you have for the brand as a whole? Your main retail channel is Menard's, which is thought of (around here anyway) as a 'lesser' alternative to Lowe's or Home Depot.

What would you change? Market the saws against Echo and show how they are a much better alternative to the cheap Poulans. The other thing would be to become a NASCAR sponsor; sales would zoom.

Just thinking out loud and reading all the other comments posted...

What if Efco were to sell under the Milwaukee Power Tools name similar to Dolmar/Makita. Then you would have the dealer support and name recognition.

If Efco were to develop a line of cordless equipment that ran off the same batteries and power packs as Milwaukee, that would make a nice combination.

I know you currently sell under JD and that's fine but I think that is a smaller share of the market. At least around here the only people that buy JD-branded stuff is farmers who already own tractors, combines, etc.

Don't know if this was usefull information or not.

je

What other complaints or complements do you have for the brand as a whole? Your main retail channel is Menard's, which is thought of (around here anyway) as a 'lesser' alternative to Lowe's or Home Depot.

:agree2: Though not where Menard's fits in with the other two, but about being in large box stores in general.

It certainly has not helped Echo's reputation being a Home Depot brand, 5 year warranty or not. I can't imagine Husky is fairing better being associated with Lowes and Canadian Tire.

It's the best built saw you've never heard about...
Which is why this thread was started...

I will agree that they are a very well built and designed saw as stated in my earlier post but there is so little advertising about them next to no one ever hears about them in North America. My two saws both have high hours on them now and don`t get used much anymore. They were worked hard in their time and held up very well, I could have sold 50-60 of them in my area back when I was running them but there was no dealers to be found and internet was still a few years away. The internet would be a good place to start with advertising, get the brand name out there and get some sales going. If the product is good word of mouth will spread the news and sales will follow. Service and parts would be the next stumbling block that would have to be overcome. About any small engine shop can repair a saw if they can only get their hands on parts. You can`t have a parts distributor that will only take orders one day a week and only ship once a month, ask Suzuki Marine how they fared after going that route.

(snip)
Build a saw that can both run well with the stock settings and not gunk up in one year from stale ethanol fuel and you might do well.

How to do that, I don't know, if I did, I would be running a big saw company ;)

To me, this means a self adjusting carb, a'la M-Tronic or AutoTune. Some here will hate that idea, but it's where we're headed, like it or not.

I accidentally cut out your comment about the name being too close to Echo. Like has been mentioned, constant name changing doesn't help, but at this point, won't hurt much, since most people haven't heard of you. Perhaps you could go with "Xxxxxx" with "by Efco" below the name.

What would you change? Market the saws against Echo and show how they are a much better alternative to the cheap Poulans. The other thing would be to become a NASCAR sponsor; sales would zoom.

I'm a NASCAR nut - I spend 3-4 hours a day listening to the NASCAR channel on Sirius radio. Sponsorship is really a buyer's market right now, and while 15-20 million for a full season Sprint Cup sponsorship might be out, most teams will sell anywhere from single race to as many as you want sponsorship packages. Camping World Truck sponsorships are a really affordable way to break in, I've heard full season deals can be had for $1-2 million with a front running team, again most teams will sell partial season or even single race deals for much less. Nationwide series sponsorship would fall somewhere between those two, in exposure and cost. Don't overlook the fact that sponsoring a team normally includes things like driver endorsements, appearances, and a lot of other things you wouldn't get with a TV ad.

Just thinking out loud and reading all the other comments posted...

What if Efco were to sell under the Milwaukee Power Tools name similar to Dolmar/Makita. Then you would have the dealer support and name recognition.

If Efco were to develop a line of cordless equipment that ran off the same batteries and power packs as Milwaukee, that would make a nice combination.

I know you currently sell under JD and that's fine but I think that is a smaller share of the market. At least around here the only people that buy JD-branded stuff is farmers who already own tractors, combines, etc.

Don't know if this was usefull information or not.

je

See my branding comments above, I like the idea of a connection with a big name power tool company, be it Milwaukee, DeWalt, or whoever.

Deere is no longer branding saws, that deal ended when Stihl came into the JD dealers. While the Efco branded Deere saws were good, that name was hurt by the previous JD branded plastic Homelites.

Forgot to mention, a site sponsorship here as zogger mentioned, along with a good factory rep who actually takes the time to stop in and answer questions, troubleshoot problems, etc. would go a long way with the saw junkies on this site, and for each of us out there, there are a couple friends, neighbors, co-workers who ask our opinion on saws from time to time. It's a little thing, but a snowball rolling downhill starts small too.

Hello.

I am involved with a sister company to Efco (EMAK). This site has been a great resource for me to get feedback from EFCO's core customers. Our marketing team is meeting with the EMAK group (Italy) and it would be great to get some true feedback directly from the customers so I can share any issues and/or strengths with them.

How many of you have heard of EFCO saws/trimmers? Dealer

What do you like about the products themselves? (lightweight, noise, power, etc) Price when they were less expensive. Will not sell at all if they are even close to the same price as a similiar model Stihl, Husqvarna, or Echo. People will go with what they know until the amount of money saved makes the risk worth taking.

What seperates brands like Stihl and Husky from EFCO? In terms of the actual product sold, nothing beyond price. The other brands are easier to get parts for and easier to find..

What would EFCO have to do to earn your business? Product availiblity, with easy parts access. If I want to buy parts from a dealer only I will buy a Stihl, they have dealers everywhere.

What other complaints or complements do you have for the brand as a whole? Good product at a decent price. Horrible distributor and rep system.
What would you change?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this (and potentially respond). Thank you to the loyal customers.

The goal is to create the best products with the best service at a great price.

Thank you!

The five year warranty is worthless if it takes months to get the saw back. Parts, parts , parts , parts , parts, get the parts to the people, quickly. Get a distributor that actually wants to sell the product. Efco came out swinging and then they made Dolmar look like it had it's act together.

Efco should sell the products out of box stores, distribute parts/product over the internet directly to the public and contract out the warrenty work to already established shops. Trying to "reestablish" the brand name in the old school dealer network system will simply fail, again. They better beat Husqvarna to the punch because after they do it there will not be any room left for the side liners.

Last edited:
Around here Menards is the place to find EFCO saws.
An independent dealer who does the warantee work for Menards speaks very highly of the design and quality of the saws.
If more smaller dealers would stock them and get a chance to work on them, maybe they could compete with the other brand name saws.

It's the best built saw you've never heard about...
Which is why this thread was started...

I have a Efco 962 that I purchased new love it I picked up a 980 three wks ago used seems like it is going to be good also also have a 152 used to early to tell. Just found out a guy I know has a John Deere CS 62 Same as a 962going to see if its for sale. Stay away Hedgerow.:msp_w00t::msp_w00t::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Back