EFCO Brand - Please leave me your feedback!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its all there, yep. Check for the bar and chain, that they match, make sure the filter is there, etc.

Display models are notorious for missing things like filler caps, etc. Screnches, 2-cycle oil, owner's manuals are easy to replace, but can cost a few bucks each. Register on-line for the warranty if you buy it.

Philbert

Is the JD CS56 the same as the Efco 156?

The short answer is yes. The first 56's were clones of 956's, and then the 156's.

There have been many improvements since the first CS56's came out. Quad ports, an ignition upgrade, some changes in the throttle linkage. The most recent CS56's, (I have an 06 and an older one) have most of these, but none of them will have the latest, most notably a tank protector where the cover meets the tank.

Parts for the most part are interchangeable, but as with most rules, there are exceptions. Newer coils need newer flywheels, and there was a change in the fuel tank-carb plate assembly. The other moving parts have not changed. Covers now are gray instead of the sexy black. Green parts need to be sourced from Deere, AFAIK all tanks and covers from step-mother Efco are red.

And there was the yellow Cub Cadets. Later Deeres and these should match except the Deeres look much, much better; naturally, of course.

Display models are notorious for missing things like filler caps, etc. Screnches, 2-cycle oil, owner's manuals are easy to replace, but can cost a few bucks each. Register on-line for the warranty if you buy it.

Philbert

My TH display model was missing the air filter. But with some authoritive explaining to the shop guy that "essential parts" were missing, he agreed to order the air filter and send it to me free of charge. That was ok for a saw marked -50%! :laugh:

I have a 156 that I like running so much the 026 sits in a case. I wasn't looking to buy a efco. But, found one at a pawn shop that couldn't have had the first tank of mix ran thru it yet. The chain was even on backwards. When I saw the price I knew it was coming home with me.....$87.50 plus tax

Last edited:
From what I remember from past Efco threads, a member from Down East (Canada talk) was running tests on the 156 & 165; the 156 came out on top. Good buy!

efco

Hello.

I am involved with a sister company to Efco (EMAK). This site has been a great resource for me to get feedback from EFCO's core customers. Our marketing team is meeting with the EMAK group (Italy) and it would be great to get some true feedback directly from the customers so I can share any issues and/or strengths with them.

How many of you have heard of EFCO saws/trimmers? If so, where?
What do you like about the products themselves? (lightweight, noise, power, etc)
What seperates brands like Stihl and Husky from EFCO?
What would EFCO have to do to earn your business?
What other complaints or complements do you have for the brand as a whole?
What would you change?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this (and potentially respond). Thank you to the loyal customers.

The goal is to create the best products with the best service at a great price.

Thank you!

Efco is building great products. our local hardware sold stihl for 42 years when stihls
supplier decided they were not selling enough weed whips and blowers. to round out the
line so they picked up efco line and have been doing considerably well fighting a predominently stihl and husky market around here. I dont personally own an efco. but I have used them and they operate very good. The only downer I have heard is I have talked to professional tree cutters who bought them that just do not think they are as good as stihl or husky. 5 year warranty cant beat that though

I no longer sell Efco, but still have the 3 saws that I liked the best in their lineup.
To me the 152 is one of the best homeowner class saws out there.
I also have an old 980 and a new 7200. Yes the 7200 weighs too much and is under powered by todays standards but makes a good saw none the less.

I have a 152 and love it. Cuts great, starts great. And it was a lot less than a Stihl or Husky. I didn't want to pay for a name. I agree that their name is either unknown or not appreciated, but I couldn't be happier with the saw. It would be nice for them to gain a little more respect. The Efco 152 is a great little saw.

Here's my feedback if you want to move saws,Get Out There.Yeah,TV,Nascar,fancy Website all that jazz is flashy but grass roots is what sells stuff to real people doing real work. HQ is in Wooster close to venues like Farm Science Review(OH),Ag Progress Days(PA).Ohio Power Show,Louisville Expo,The PA State Farm Show in January(Shihl had a Large display and and Efco's regional is in Harrisburg).Get booths, personel and demonstration saws out in front of the public and let your product do the talking.Back it up with dealer and parts support and beat your distributers over the head if they don't live up your expectations.The second tier brands can build share and market penetration(Alpina in the 80's-90's in certain geographic areas)But can lose it in a heartbeat do to capricious Corporate policy.
Edit:And SUSTAIN the effort,Stihl,John Deere,Remington Arms are where they are because they are relentless(not neccessarily the best...always)!
Further Edit:OSU-ATI right there in Wooster has an extensive Forestry,Nursery,Landscaping program donate some tools and time get your product into the hands of the future.

Last edited:
Yes... It's a very well built saw...
A PIA to work on, but a quality build...

Are you sure it's the same as a 156? 156 has quad closed port transfers. I thought the CC 55, JD CS56, Efco 956 had dual closed port. My 956 and CS56 does. I thought the CC55 was the same. Haven't seen one so I don't know for sure. Never the less good pro build saw IMO.
Shep

Are you sure it's the same as a 156? 156 has quad closed port transfers. I thought the CC 55, JD CS56, Efco 956 had dual closed port. My 956 and CS56 does. I thought the CC55 was the same. Haven't seen one so I don't know for sure. Never the less good pro build saw IMO.
Shep

You are correct... I had 956/CS56 the brain...
The new 156 is supposed to be a quad port...

we need a picture to make sure we are talking about the same saw, they have not been available for several years in the Efco build.:confused:
55 cc doesn't match...the 156 or any other Efco I am aware of. I have seen the made in china MTD/Remington in that size....:popcorn:

The biggest Cub Cadet was the 5620, 56cc, 20" bar, same chassis as 56 and 62cc John Deere.
I was tempted to get a $299 5620 from Amazon, swap over the P&C from a JD CS62, and have the only 62cc Cub Cadet in existence.

Latest posts

Back