EFCO lovers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just (today) got my £20 156 running for the first time. Needed a bar stud fixing, piston rings, carb rebuild and chain brake stripping. All working now apart from the clutch (still waiting for a spring - damn those Italians and their summer working habits!).

It's obviously seen some action, but with a simple clean-up it's very, very satisfying! Compression running at about 170-180, sample cuts very promising.

Really, really similar to a 254xp I think. :rockn:

In reference to the throttle trigger point above, I haven't used it enough to have a firm opinion, but it does feel perhaps as if there's extra travel in it...

Ooh!

Anybody happen to know if the clutch spring is the same as any of the Husky springs? Wondered if the spring from a 254 might fit (the sprocket kit is identical)...

:confused:

The drum setup I used for 156-165 was Oregon drum for 254-262 new style. Cheaper than Efco drum by $20.00 here. Never tried clutch spring as I never had one fail.

My Efcos

Here are my 2. Great saws(so far), but as you can see, neither one has been used enough to draw a final conclusion. The JD is a 46, and the other is the 56

Efco/JD CS-52

Got this saw from my sister. It had sat in the barn for a few years and no longer worked for her....Played w/it, took the handle apart and reattached the throttle control. Cleaned it up and fueled it...this thing fired up and ran perfectly after that. And because I wasn't familiar with the saw and knew little about it I sold it to a kid who needed a smaller saw for his tree work. That was when I found out just how nice the little Efco's could be. Very nice saw For JD. Almost wish I had kept it.

Sunday will be my first adventure w/ two green efco's I picked up Friday night. 250 got me a JD 47 and a JD 52...the 52 had cut 15 face cords and the 47 has only been fueled and started. Both saws look perfect w/ both wearing 18" bars, 4 chains and one case. I'm guessing I'll be doing muff mods tonight after putting a few tanks of fuel through them.

Bowtech, my Brother In-law has one more year left on his warranty. As soon as its expired we plan on opening up the exhaust on it. The guys on here claim pretty good gains from the efco's with the muffler mod.

The CS-56 Deere (efco) was prolly the best value I have ever got on a new saw. 299.99 delivered to my door. I could kick myself for selling it, it was an outstanding performer, with a MM it was right on the heels of a 361. Never had an issue used it two or three seasons, an excellent firewood saw. I know it cut a heck of alot of firewood, I'd take it over a stock 346 anyday. I never had an isssue with the trigger as we blow our saws off after each use, but do remember a post about crud accumulating in the handle and causing a issue with the trigger. I'd take it over a 290/310 Stihl or 455/460 Husky any day. Probably more comparable with a stock 359.
For the average guy the mag case saws should last a lifetime. Just not much dealer support in the USA.

. I'd take it over a 290/310 Stihl or 455/460 Husky any day. Probably more comparable with a stock 359.
For the average guy the mag case saws should last a lifetime. Just not much dealer support in the USA.

I sure have to agree with you on this, I don't think the Sithl or Husky saws you listed could keep up with this Efco. Maybe they could for a year, but in ten years Ill bet a case of my beloved Coors Light that the Efco will still be making fire wood.

Like you said, the Magnesium case saws last a life time. My Uncle has a Stihl that he bought new in 88 I think, a 044, This saw has cut more firewood than..........well you know. STILL RUNS STRONG. Well built pro design, just like this Efco.

Latest posts

Back