Elasto-start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Does anyone have any experience using Stihl's elasto-start system? Does it really make a difference? I'm asking because if it really does make a difference it might be worthwhile to install it on another brand of saw.

It sure beats the heck out of a stick, tied thru the starter rope. But yes after you use the elsto-start, for a while your hands will will never want to go back to the standard style. It just sure is a pain changing the rip cord.

Yes, it really a good innovation. I can start an 066 very easily and I don't even bother using the compression release anymore.

Sometime on a regular saw you catch the compression stroke just at the point where the cord wants to rip your arm from it's socket. Elastostart simply spreads out that shock and puts it to use on the starter vs. your arm.

It's simple and it works!!

Of all my saws, the 036 was the worst for the recoil ripping my fingers - to the point they were black and blue at the knuckle several times. I installed one on it, and very happy. Rope is not overly long though. 064 to get the treatment next.

yep - kind of like a spring loaded handle - its another one of those decomp valve - gimmicks, LOL. If you cant keep the cord in your hand when youre starting your saw - you need to either start pumping some iron or get a smaller saw, IMHO....:D

Doug,
I think the majority of the system is the spring inside the handle.

I know one guy who had oversized rope and a lawnmower starter handle on his 046 because it was so hard to start and he was constantly breaking the rope. After I took it and replaced his N.R. setup with the proper size Elasto-Start handle and rope the saw turned over like the plug was missing. My momma could start that 046 now. It's cheap, too. Handle and rope together are about $10 at my Stihl dealer.

oh yes - and its not cheap - saw the friggin' putz rubber handle for $19.95 at the dealer...

I routinely drop start the 3120 KD with no comp release, but the elastojack handle is something that I've never seen.

I replace the tiny handle on my 335 with an elastostart from an old 019. I like the Elasto!!
Greg

On cold mornings without them i've had a many handles pull thru my fingers,ouch sure like them elastostart handles.

$15.10 at our store for the big elasto start,for the 066, replaced one on a TS400 a while back

Last edited:
If it is easyer on the hands reducing or distibuting peek load, I would imagine it reduces stress to the rewind components as well.

Timberwolf

I agree with you guys, the stretchy rubber elasto handles are great! My old 066's have no comp release, and it really helps..I use comp release on my husky's, not cause I'm a wimp, but to save on starter rope repairs..

so there, tundraturbanopoulettottolux

Well, I is gettin' kinda wimpy these days tho.....

right Doug?!;)

well, maybe you need to go back to the gym there fella.;) if you look you'll notice that the rope angle on the good saws is just perfect for dropstarting...LOL

That's "Little Fella" to you, turbootto!!!

Um, could ya come up and drop start my recently acquired 2100 Husky?

Pretty please??

Now, if you could find me a thin ringed piston for it, you'd make me one veddy happy camper

no prob - send it over and I'll send a video. I promise I will dropstart anything you can carry.

cant help on a thin piston ring for the 2100 though.

Roger,
I don't think that there's any way I would ever consider you climbers "wimpy". It takes big cookies to do that kind of stuff way up there.

Originally posted by dbabcock
Roger,
I don't think that there's any way I would ever consider you climbers "wimpy". It takes big cookies to do that kind of stuff way up there.

I would not either, but if one cant start his/her saw without a compression release or a spring loaded handle - I would call them weak.

Back