Electric chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basque1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning folks:
I am new to the forum and have some questions before I do something stupid. I just got a B&D 18" 15 Amp chain saw and I am interested in doing some light milling. They suggest that you use a ripping type chain for this work. I have looked in Lowes for this type of chain without much luck. Any suggestions to the fact that I would be able to use the chain that came with the chain saw?
Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely
Lou
Basque1

That will be a workout for a electric saw.
What size are you milling and the species.
Milling is the hardest a saw will work and will give a death sentence to even the best of saws

Milling is the hardest a saw will work and will give a death sentence to even the best of saws
Well, nothing really hard, maybe some maple and occasionally oak or ash. As I said this is going to be very light milling, just a new hobby.

I'd say the motor is going to melt down.
120 volts x 15 amps = 1800 watts divided by 746 = 2.4 hp.
Give it a try and see.
Good Luck

I'd say the motor is going to melt down.
120 volts x 15 amps = 1800 watts divided by 746 = 2.4 hp.
Give it a try and see.
Good Luck
Ouch I would not want that, I guess I would have to revive my old gas chain saw if I want to mill anything. Probably the widest tree I have is maybe 10" .

unless you are referring to using a 120cc saw cutting a say 12" diameter log, there's really no such thing as light milling.

An AS member (Matrix) who posted here about 10 years used an electric chains like the one you referring to.
He posted a Youtube video showing cutting an 11" wide piece of hardwood.

As you can see it's SLOOOOOOW although I don't think he had optimised the chain.
He blew up the saw's clutch and got it replaced under warranty.
He very quickly gave up with the electric and bought an 075 and was doing it up.

Abusing equiptment kills equiptment. I've not heard of any builder add power to electric saws. On the other hand electric is a higher torque energy source than piston engines. Key I've found in milling is sharpest chain that can be made, more b&c oil to reduce that draw of power, correct rate of feed thru log. Keep the right balance of those machinery will last much longer.
By the by I still use a beam maker style guide w/ms-170 to trim edges of thicker planks, and mill small logs into posts for corners and the like.

Well
unless you are referring to using a 120cc saw cutting a say 12" diameter log, there's really no such thing as light milling.

An AS member (Matrix) who posted here about 10 years used an electric chains like the one you referring to.
He posted a Youtube video showing cutting an 11" wide piece of hardwood.

As you can see it's SLOOOOOOW although I don't think he had optimised the chain.
He blew up the saw's clutch and got it replaced under warranty.
He very quickly gave up with the electric and bought an 075 and was doing it up.

Well I do't want to burn out my new chain saw, the logs that I would consider milling are about 6' and no bigger in diameter than 6"-8" will see, as I said I must need to revive my gas chain saw. Thanks for the info.
Lou

Well I do't want to burn out my new chain saw, the logs that I would consider milling are about 6' and no bigger in diameter than 6"-8" will see, as I said I must need to revive my gas chain saw. Thanks for the info.

Wise choice. You would have probably melted it after just a few 6' cuts.

What size saw is your gasoline one? Also, rip chain isn't absolutely required, so if you want to do a freehand test cut ripping a short log (1 or 2 foot) with regular chain just to see what to expect, then that would be fine. Just be sure to sharpen it well, and don't overheat the saw by overworking it. Small saws, even gasoline saws, can overheat easily in rip cuts.

Maybe an Stihl MS 220 could mill a 6" piece without hurting itself as its hell built for stout. A Stihl E30 could mill very well if you can heft it. At least your Black & Decker is 15 amp but I'd doubt it would do very well or last very long.

Back