electric chain sharpner simple ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideurt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking into buying a electric chain sharpener. Is it worth buying a cheaper grinder(Northern sells one for 100.00 with shipping) Or should I hold out & find a used oregon.Thanks

Thanks Larry, I was thinkoing about looking up that thread soon!

Hi wideurt, Welcome to AS!

Read through that thread and let us know if you have any questions.

:cheers:

get the grinder!!! the northern 30$ last a year and teh 120$ last 3-4 years
you dont realy nee dteh orogon but if u got$$ get it. It takes me 3 min or less a chain to sharpen and thats good when you have 16 chains. Iv sharpend othr peoples chains and its paid for itself long ago.
Matt

I've used the HF grinder, its faster than by hand, but the nut that holds the wheel on tends to rattle loose, and the slot that holds the chain is sloppy, and the indexing is not up to the higher priced units, but here's the good part, if you go to a HF store, these things are sometimes on sale for $39.99!

I've looked into the HF grinders. They do not have the ability to grind the 10 degree angle on the .325 chains. They will only do the 35/0 angles. To get a grinder that will do the 10 degree angle you need to get into the $375.00 range. The Oregon 511AX has the angle bed chain vise for the 10 degree angle.
ZG

I've looked into the HF grinders. They do not have the ability to grind the 10 degree angle on the .325 chains. They will only do the 35/0 angles. To get a grinder that will do the 10 degree angle you need to get into the $375.00 range. The Oregon 511AX has the angle bed chain vise for the 10 degree angle.
ZG

The northern tool sharpener is pretty much a knockoff of the 511a it does have the bed tilt

The northern grinder for 100 is the same a steh orogon 511a and very simmilar ro 511ax.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327449_200327449

When you say 10degre angle they go from 35-0 so you could grind at 10degres? What are you grinding at 10degre anyway. I grinde my 3/8 chains at 30 and that seems to work for me. and then 50degre agnle. IDK is that the right way to do it but it works fo rme but let me know what works best?
Matt

Check a little closer. The 511a does not have the tilt bed. No 10 degree angle.
ZG

What do you mean tilt bed? iv had both sharpeners and now have the norther $100 one and its has all the setting i need? tilt bed like the spender head pivots?
Matt

Back