Electric splitter worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how I do it. Drive the wood home, split it on the tailgate as I remove it while listening to a game on the garage radio. Splits 99% of what I scrounge. I split 2 to 3 cords a year. Finally had to replace the starting capacitor for $18 after 8 years. My FAD makes me want a bigger splitter but I know I don't need it.

DSCF0091_zps4c1ad606.jpg

Something not yet mentioned is they can be easily brought In The house.. I know of guys who keep them in their basement by the stove or wood furnace because they come in handy they do such a slick job of busting up splits for kindling . You can make a dozen fire starter sticks out of a small split for easy starts and no exhaust fumes or loud noise In The house plus it tucks away in a corner when not needed .

image.jpg Had that old nasty shag bark fall in the drive when we got home tonight. Thankfully nobody got hurt . I didn't know it was that bad yet! New 550 xp made quick work of that rotten bastard. Well it's official bought 5 ton homelite from hd. Got my military discount and a 25 ft 12 extension cord . Will update tom with pics and review

[quote="Tjcole50, post: 4734716, member: 120630"Had that old nasty shag bark fall in the drive when we got home tonight. Thankfully nobody got hurt . I didn't know it was that bad yet! New 550 xp made quick work of that rotten bastard. Well it's official bought 5 ton homelite from hd. Got my military discount and a 25 ft 12 extension cord . Will update tom with pics and review[/quote]

Mr big wood boss in the sky gave ya the motivation!

Because I enjoy to and I can.
Gotcha I know a lot of people in the city around here cannot primarily heat with wood. Guess it's not the same everywhere :). Have to say I actually enjoy it enough now I would probably do the same if I ever moved back to the city

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Ok my initial review is this thing is awesome! Only ran into one round it would not split! Extreme hard with multiple knots I really didn't think it would get through it. But pound for pound bang for the buck this thing is a great investment even if you have a gas splitter!
The stack immedietly to the right of the splitter is all I put through it. Just wanted to give it some run time. I must say it is real nice turning on the radio drink a couple beers and split on my time/pace indoors with this little guy. It is very well built , much sturdier than anticipated. Cycle time is quick and smooth. My only complaint is two hand operation. But I can easily reach both the button and the lever with one hand, it's just over a long period I could see stretching the fingers to get annoying. I only have regular sized hands not banana hands but it is still manageable. I can safely say I recommend this splitter for my type of operation!

But I can easily reach both the button and the lever with one hand, it's just over a long period I could see stretching the fingers to get annoying.

I been doing it one-handed since 2006 with mine, not a problem! You get used to it fast. It is one of the best selling points about this particular model as most of the others require 2 hands.

Ok my initial review is this thing is awesome! Only ran into one round it would not split! Extreme hard with multiple knots I really didn't think it would get through it. But pound for pound bang for the buck this thing is a great investment even if you have a gas splitter!
The stack immedietly to the right of the splitter is all I put through it. Just wanted to give it some run time. I must say it is real nice turning on the radio drink a couple beers and split on my time/pace indoors with this little guy. It is very well built , much sturdier than anticipated. Cycle time is quick and smooth. My only complaint is two hand operation. But I can easily reach both the button and the lever with one hand, it's just over a long period I could see stretching the fingers to get annoying. I only have regular sized hands not banana hands but it is still manageable. I can safely say I recommend this splitter for my type of operation!

That's a semi gnarly piece of hickory it busted up! What are the specs on the electric motor?

I think it's a 2hp model not sure on rest of specs right now but it Is a homelite 5ton model from hd. Yea that piece I think was well over its rating but it didn't even flinch. Only one piece did not split but it was a very bad piece that I knew it wouldn't do. If this thing holds up over time , I do not think I will ever be without one of these little electrics even if I buy a gas splitter. Lot of guys told me they were junk but I think about 95% of people who claim that have probably never ran one.

I think it's a 2hp model not sure on rest of specs right now but it Is a homelite 5ton model from hd. Yea that piece I think was well over its rating but it didn't even flinch. Only one piece did not split but it was a very bad piece that I knew it wouldn't do. If this thing holds up over time , I do not think I will ever be without one of these little electrics even if I buy a gas splitter. Lot of guys told me they were junk but I think about 95% of people who claim that have probably never ran one.

I plan on getting a gas this summer but will continue to use my electric during winter inside the garage. One thing about it I can store it and not worry about it starting when I want to use it gain.

Lot of guys told me they were junk but I think about 95% of people who claim that have probably never ran one.
That's the same thing I ran into when I was buying one most people think because it's electric and has a low rating that it's a toy not to be taken seriously as a viable option but the reality is they work well . Do they have their limitations yea but for somebody doing a few cords a year cutting wood 21" or less dollar for dollar they are hard to beat

That's the same thing I ran into when I was buying one most people think because it's electric and has a low rating that it's a toy not to be taken seriously as a viable option but the reality is they work well . Do they have their limitations yea but for somebody doing a few cords a year cutting wood 21" or less dollar for dollar they are hard to beat

How do you like your tundra? Debating an add on furnace or a 2nd nc-30 In my basement I have a second chimney for stove but I would have to exit out the side of foundation for add on furnace. Even debating those mitsubishi mini splits as my house is laid out great for them

I had 10 cord of hackberry that would have been termite bait if I hadn't got a Homelite electric splitter. Like Johnnie Cochran said, "If it'll fit, it'll split!" LOL Actually I have had very very few pieces that I could lift on it that it wouldn't split. Ran it for 6 hours straight at a buddys house without a hiccup. Do I split that heavy barked oak that will split with a hatchet on it? Nope, I'll use an axe just because I like to do a little hand splitting, especially if it's easy wood. Well worth the $200-300 for one. Can't recommend it high enough.

I have a little 4t? HF ( least wise that's the way it was marketed 10 years ago) electric unit. Its only 14" but at the time was more than enough for the stove I had. ok on fairly straight stuff not much help on crotches or other uglies. I haven't used it in quite a while as with the NC 30 17-18" is what i use. looks pretty much like most of them out there now.
Wanna sell it?

I like the idea of an electric splitter. I don't like the small ones on the market. Is there a larger one with more power out there (other than the super split)? Has any one ever tried to fabricate their own?

If nobody manufactures a larger one, do you have any idea why? I am talking 20+ tons.

Back