Electric splitters????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the mantis swift-split, I just could not swing a gas so I got this one. It is great and the return policy is one (HELLO ONE) year from date of purchase. they pay s/h to you and you pay $99 back after ONE year if you do not like it. After looking at all the electrics in this class they are all the same only the paint job is different and the other return policies are from 7 days to 6 mo and you pay s/h both ways. The swift -split is on a dolly/cart system which makes it great to move around, it works great as long as you stay within specs. check it out at swiftsplit .com.:camera: :computer:

Here's a competitor to the Mantis that uses a 110v electric motor and hydraulic power:

http://www.logsplitter.com/Qstore/p000037.htm

Both the Mantis and this one handle about the same log size. The two speed option on this one may allow you to tackle some toughies. I believe they are both priced in the $500 range.

Just remember that these are not going to handle monster rounds, but the convenience of not having to store a large piece of equipment is rather enticing.

Last edited:
So I see...But to have an electric splitter that runs like that would be ideal. I could run it off my generator if need be:)
You might also want to take a look at this line from Dolmar:
http://www.dolmar.com/productcatalog/category/419/index.html

width584x72.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks like most of these take 400v of power to operate.

Last edited:
Good Electrics Work...But

We've used a 2001 DR 5 ton for our 5-7 cords/year ixed hardwoods and some soft. I will not go back to the 22 ton beast. Here's why I'll stick with the DR electric:
1. Quiet--I can listen, sing, talk to myself ( most intelligent conversation:) ).
2. NO startup, press the lever and button, split.
3. Tiny maintenance: brush off debris, keep the hydraulic full, tighten bolts. Period.
4. Work in a garage, wood shed, outside under a trap ANYTIME, for any period of time; got 10 minutes, split and leave.
5. 110 volt: plug it in and go.
6. This DR is ~ 100 lbs: light enough to move around.

Limitations:
1. Yes, it is slower than gas.
2. It will not go through crotches, tough grains, or the 18" + dia butts.
3. Horizontal splitting on this model only.

Overall it does more than 80% of the job. When you figure in engine maintenance, starting, cost of fuel and oil for both engine and hydraulics, the DR 5 ton originally in 2001 @ $550. or so, it has paid off. And it has been abused....badly with butts that it should not split. Just wanted to try to push the little beasty.:greenchainsaw:

We've used a 2001 DR 5 ton for our 5-7 cords/year ixed hardwoods and some soft. I will not go back to the 22 ton beast. Here's why I'll stick with the DR electric:
1. Quiet--I can listen, sing, talk to myself ( most intelligent conversation:) ).
2. NO startup, press the lever and button, split.
3. Tiny maintenance: brush off debris, keep the hydraulic full, tighten bolts. Period.
4. Work in a garage, wood shed, outside under a trap ANYTIME, for any period of time; got 10 minutes, split and leave.
5. 110 volt: plug it in and go.
6. This DR is ~ 100 lbs: light enough to move around.

Limitations:
1. Yes, it is slower than gas.
2. It will not go through crotches, tough grains, or the 18" + dia butts.
3. Horizontal splitting on this model only.

Overall it does more than 80% of the job. When you figure in engine maintenance, starting, cost of fuel and oil for both engine and hydraulics, the DR 5 ton originally in 2001 @ $550. or so, it has paid off. And it has been abused....badly with butts that it should not split. Just wanted to try to push the little beasty.:greenchainsaw:

:agree2: Good points!:agree2:

I have the 6 ton and am very pleased as well:cheers:

Yes, if built properly, electric splitters are awesome. I had one custom built for me. Gas on one side, Electric on the other: 220v, 5hp, running a 4" cylinder....against a 4 way wedge at times. Chomps everything.

Yes, if built properly, electric splitters are awesome. I had one custom built for me. Gas on one side, Electric on the other: 220v, 5hp, running a 4" cylinder....against a 4 way wedge at times. Chomps everything.

Wow nice helper:drool:

Anyway how are you switching from gas to electric? Check valve? And are those 16gpm pumps?

Great setup! Hmmm... What would happen if you could mount the gas engine in front of the pump and the electric engine behind it, both on the same side? Then you could just switch the belt over and use the same hydraulics for either prime mover. Just a thought... :monkey:

Anyway how are you switching from gas to electric? Check valve? And are those 16gpm pumps?

I have pumps on both the electric side, and the gas side, so to switch between the two, I simply move one hydraulic hose with a quick connect. 22 gal. pumps.

Last edited:
I have pumps on both the electric side, and the gas side, so to switch between the two, I simply move one hydraulic hose with a quick connect. 22 gal. pumps.

Wow 22gpm pump on a 5hp....Will the motor stall on a tuff big crotch or just run across the relief? Any idea what the relief is set at?

The pumps are either 22 or 24 gal/min....pretty sure 22.
I've got a pressure gauge inline also, and it bypasses at about 1250....and even tho the wedge goes thru most that I throw at it, it would still get stuck in tuff crotches. So, just last week, I increased it to 2000, and of course it's noticably stronger. I'd hear the 5hp motor certainly work harder, but the RPM's still stayed up there. I'd like to increase the pressure to 2500 or 2700...but will do it gradually, and listen to the elec. motor carefully. That 4 way wedge offers a lot of resistance, therefore needing lots of pressure...but it sure cuts down on the time to create a cord.

Super Split

That alone would do it for me...one less gas hungry mouth to feed:clap: :clap: ! I'm surprised I never heard of those before now. I researched far and wide on electric splitters and never came across this one for some reason. I think if I had I would have saved up to get one.

I bought mine a year ago - I saw it in action at the Common Ground Fair here in Maine. I normally do all my splitting in the dooryard, so have ready access to electric. And if I do need to use it remotely, I have a portable 4kw generator. This is the first splitter I have owned. I tried out various ones in the past - stand alone and PTO mounted, gas and electric. All the hydraulic in comparable price range were waaay too slow. In the past my personal splitter has been a Chopper-1 axe - 5 cords/year since the 70s.

Super Split is the fastest splitter I have ever used - and I can even use it in the barn - quiet and no fumes! This is great when I run short of kindling. It takes me about 15 minutes to split two weeks worth of wood for the wood stove in the barn which I burn continuously in the winter.

All of that said - there are a few items you should know - its relatively expensive - ~$3K (I think I got mine for $2400) for the "Heavy-Duty" model with table and 1.5hp electric motor (can be wired for 110 or 220). Comes standard with little wheels suitable for moving around the yard or property. Can be loaded in the back of a pickup easily. If you need to be able to tow it on the road, you will need optional highway wheels and hitch.

Aside from seeing it demonstrated at the fair, the other thing that convinced me they are pretty good is that the company has been around quite a while and you very seldom see a used one for sale. There have been some problems with them in the past, but if you go with the HD model and take care of it, it should last the typical 15-25 years or more. Keep it under cover or stored inside.

It is designed for one person operation - too dangerous for two people, however, you can have a helper to hoist rounds to an adjacent table for ease in loading and to clear the split wood to a pile or vehicle. You need to keep the ram track clean - it tends to build up pitch on it. I keep a sharp stiff paint scraper in my back pocket and occasionally give it a quick scrape. This will help keep the ram from sticking. If the ram does not return smoothly, then it is time to clean it.

I load my 4' logs on a wood rack on a deck that is the same height as the table - cut them to length and they are easy to move from the deck to the splitter table.

The splitter cuts through crotches with ease - may take 2-3 hits on particularly gnarley ones. For simple crotches on medium pieces like oak, you can split from below the crotch and it will halve it right through the crotch. Or you can split from above the crotch and shear the two branches of the crotch apart - I find either way works well.

For very large rounds, split a quarter out of the side, then just start rotating it and split pies out of it .

Start slowly - put the round on the table, place one hand on the round to steady it, keeping it clear of the path of the wedge and use other hand to operate the lever.

Super Split is the fastest splitter I have ever used - and I can even use it in the barn - quiet and no fumes! This is great when I run short of kindling. It takes me about 15 minutes to split two weeks worth of wood for the wood stove in the barn which I burn continuously in the winter.

Sounds like one heck of a splitter...

Oh yeah...welcome to AS!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back