Electric wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1savagehunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience ??? I've used a gas splitter but I've heard good things. Let me know what brand if you have and how many ton.

They actually work quite well...

I have the DR 6Ton splitter and I am very pleased with it's performance. No it's not a gas sucking 20+ ton monster that's going to split everything you feed it but it will work for what it's designed to do. I have split rounds as big as 25 inches around with it. I recommend it to anyone looking for an electric splitter.

anyone I have seen is quite worthless except on small branches

Here's some of the small branches I've split with this quite worthless machine.

Thanks Thombat4 - that's a nice bit of wood. I'm basically looking for something to split mostly birch and spruce with the occasional pine. I'm getting to the point of passing up that twisted knotty crap I fall for folks and gladly donate it to the less fortunate ... you know the ones that are glad to get the wood and don't mind pounding on it with a splitting maul for prolonged periods.:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

nice pup

I have the DR 6Ton splitter and I am very pleased with it's performance. No it's not a gas sucking 20+ ton monster that's going to split everything you feed it but it will work for what it's designed to do. I have split rounds as big as 25 inches around with it. I recommend it to anyone looking for an electric splitter.

Here's some of the small branches I've split with this quite worthless machine.

Hey ,whatever works is what i say,bifferent strokes for different folks.......oh yeah,nice pup.....

Here is my Electric splitter.

This splitter had a dead 7hp B&S engine on it when it was given to me. I swapped a 5HP, 220V 3600rpm single phase on it. Enjoy.

The only commercially available electric splitter I would consider would be an electric Super-Split... but they aren't cheap.

This splitter had a dead 7hp B&S engine on it when it was given to me. I swapped a 5HP, 220V 3600rpm single phase on it. Enjoy.

That's what an electric splitter should be, I imagine it would keep up with a 10hp gas splitter.
I've never used a little electric splitter but my impression is that anything it can split, I can do faster and with less effort with my maul... The only time I want a splitter is for the 20"+ hardwood crotches. Then you need a good gas splitter, not a cheap one. If its relatively straight grained wood, of any size, I find my maul is fine. Now I'm not doing 4 cords a day every day, but for personal use I think many people would be better off with a maul.
Ian

IndyIan,

While I can appreciate maul users, I have never in my life handled a maul. My huband used to do it but he can't anymore due to health reasons. We bought a Ryobi electric splitter this fall when our hydraulic ram took a dive. We have been resplitting some 1/2 rounds in our heated garage this winter. Love splitting inside in the warmth of our attached garage! I don't know if I would tackle 4 cords of wood with the electric but it would get the job done if you are not in a hurry.

As far as our gas splitter: Our hydraulic ram has been repaired, now I just have to get someone out here to re-install it.

We will keep both splitters as they both have their place for our uses.

Shari

Understanding health reasons, electric may have it's place.

I will still use a mall just for time reasons, slow don't split it for me.

Not a pup anymore, but still feel the benefits from a few hours a week swinging a maul, maybe just me, I would rather get the work-out in then wait for the cycle time.

Since 2000 we've used a DR 4 Ton Hydraulic Electric splitter for the 5-6 cords ( real cords ) for 24/7 firewood. I'll never go back to the 22 ton smelly, noisy, fussy gas beast again. This one is slowly giving it up after the abuse the man gave it for near 10 seasons. I'll go for the DR 6 ton when and if the DR 4 ton won't come down for breakfast.:cry:

Here's why I like/enjoy the Electric ( repeat from another post of mine):
1. No set up time: split for 10 minutes or an hour. Plug and play.

2. IT'S QUIET: I can talk to myself ( intelligent conversation:dizzy: ), sing,
listen to right wing talk radio.:givebeer:

3. Cheap running --110 v.

4. Almost no maintenance ( just change hydraulic fluid 1/year and clean ).

5. Light enough to move in a workshop, garage ( NOT the dining room :censored: ).

6. Low cost compared to gas splitters.

7. Does 80% to 90% of the splitting.

8. NO breakdown in the hundreds of hours of use since 2000.

9. SWMBO can use it.

Cons:
1. Yes, it's slow, maybe 1/2 the splitting time of gas splitters.

2. No real power on tough splits such as crotches or twisted grain.

3. Only takes less than 20" butts.

4. Horizontal operation: the butts need to be humped up to the bed. ( I need
the lifting anyhow ).

5. The 10 to 20% of the splitting needs doing by mauls and wedges.

Sum up: IF you got the time AND want quiet AND want to hand split some, go electric.:agree2:

DR 6 ton

I bought a DR 6 ton off CL for $350. I started a thread on it a month or 2 ago. I am in Alaska so spruce and birch are what I am splitting. It has worked great and I still have it inside the house! I brought it in to check it over really well after I bought it and the wife said it could stay. Overall I am very pleased with this splitter so far.:cheers:

Splitter

I bought a DR 6 ton off CL for $350. I started a thread on it a month or 2 ago. I am in Alaska so spruce and birch are what I am splitting. It has worked great and I still have it inside the house! I brought it in to check it over really well after I bought it and the wife said it could stay. Overall I am very pleased with this splitter so far.:cheers:

Man! How lucky can a man get? A good deal on a splitter and a wife who lets it come inside! Only thing better would be if she used it!!! If you want to get rid of it let me know...the wife not the splitter..Iv'e got a splitter. Sounds like a fine women. Treat her proper.

Man! How lucky can a man get? A good deal on a splitter and a wife who lets it come inside! Only thing better would be if she used it!!! If you want to get rid of it let me know...the wife not the splitter..Iv'e got a splitter. Sounds like a fine women. Treat her proper.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, not ready to give her up just yet. I really don't want to rub it in but she claims she is going to run it while I am out cutting and hauling loads with the ATV this spring. Just an added bonus if she does. I didn't mention that she can cook and bake with the best of them did I? Ok, I'll stop now.

Latest posts

Back