Electrical chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boskaerm

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I´m considering buying an electrical chainsaw, for firewood cutting, in my pivot saw buck. Don`t really know what to buy, have considered the Partner 722T, or the Husky 321 EL.
Don`t know whats the best, or if there is something better? Perhaps something with a higher voltage?

Makita UC3530A

By the way the Partner 722T and the Husky 321 EL is the same saw in different colors.

Last edited:
I volunteer at the local Lion's Club Christmas tree lot where we use electric saws. There are 2 Poulans and a brand new Husqvarna, I think it is a 316. I could be wrong on the model number. The poulans have a manual oiler where you have to press down on the oil cap for 3 seconds and compress the collapseable oil tank. You have to do this every 10 seconds. It is a pain in the rear to use but the saws have been reliable. The brand new Husqvarna has had switch problems. The switch only lasts a week before it breaks and has to go back to the dealer for repair. The previous (stolen) Husqvarna had the same problems.

At home I have a 6 or 8 year old McColloch electric I bought off Craigslist. It may be a 450xx. It has been totally reliable in the 6 weeks I have owned it and is better than the Poulans or the Husqvarna the tree lots owns. That is my total experience with electric saws.

Makita UC3530A

By the way the Partner 722T and the Husky 321 EL is the same saw in different colors.

Thought they where the same, but on the pictures the did´nt seem totally alike, but hard to see.. know that the husky and jonsered are the same, but they are stated 100 watt lower than the Partner. But possibly just marketing..

I volunteer at the local Lion's Club Christmas tree lot where we use electric saws. There are 2 Poulans and a brand new Husqvarna, I think it is a 316. I could be wrong on the model number. The poulans have a manual oiler where you have to press down on the oil cap for 3 seconds and compress the collapseable oil tank. You have to do this every 10 seconds. It is a pain in the rear to use but the saws have been reliable. The brand new Husqvarna has had switch problems. The switch only lasts a week before it breaks and has to go back to the dealer for repair. The previous (stolen) Husqvarna had the same problems.

At home I have a 6 or 8 year old McColloch electric I bought off Craigslist. It may be a 450xx. It has been totally reliable in the 6 weeks I have owned it and is better than the Poulans or the Husqvarna the tree lots owns. That is my total experience with electric saws.

guess thats not to good for the Husky

Both the Partner/Husqvarna clones and the Makita is good saws. You are right on the chain tension system it's a back draft and another back draft is that you can only get 3/8 sprocket for the Makita. But it has good chains peed for an electrical saw, and good torque.
You can visit me and try them all Husqvarna, Makita, and Stihl and then you can decide.

Both the Partner/Husqvarna clones and the Makita is good saws. You are right on the chain tension system it's a back draft and another back draft is that you can only get 3/8 sprocket for the Makita. But it has good chains peed for an electrical saw, and good torque.
You can visit me and try them all Husqvarna, Makita, and Stihl and then you can decide.

Ok, thats quite an offer.. maybe I´ll take you on it :hmm3grin2orange:
As for the 3/8 chain, as I see it, the Husky ETC also comes with the 3/8 hobby chain! Do they offer 325 sprockets for them? Can the husky handle a 14 inch bar with 325?

As for the 3/8 chain, as I see it, the Husky ETC also hos the 3/8 hobby chain! Do the offer 325 sprockets for them? Can the handle a 14 inch bar with 325?

Yes, Yes.
At the school where I work we have one with 15" bar and .325" chain. If you visit me you can try that one along with the rest.
The ES220 is brand new and bought for carving purpose its going to be set up with 1/4"

Yes, Yes.
At the school where I work we have one with 15" bar and .325" chain. If you visit me you can try that one along with the rest.
The ES220 is brand new and bought for carving purpose its going to be set up with 1/4"

ok, see then it gets interresting, since i really like the 325 for firewood. Ok, but if I want to visit you sometime, where would that be??

Ok, But for firewood cutting in a pivot saw buck, i would think the ES2200 would do good, doesn´t matter for that use, which way the engine lays. And there must be somekind of angle drive on the 722T, which maybe will take some power?

Black and Decker mate ;)

No but really those Makita's look good. I was considering buying one sometime soon but I've decided if I get a new chainsaw it'll be a smaller Shindaiwa.

The toolless chain tensioning from what I hear and what experience I've had with it so far is fairly good, the problem is if you buy something chinese like Ryobi the thing what loosens the side cover will cock up and become not so toolless, as you need tools to get it off.

However Makita stands for quality, so it'd be my number one choice for electric chainsaw.

Black and Decker mate ;)

No but really those Makita's look good. I was considering buying one sometime soon but I've decided if I get a new chainsaw it'll be a smaller Shindaiwa.

The toolless chain tensioning from what I hear and what experience I've had with it so far is fairly good, the problem is if you buy something chinese like Ryobi the thing what loosens the side cover will cock up and become not so toolless, as you need tools to get it off.

However Makita stands for quality, so it'd be my number one choice for electric chainsaw.

Shinaiwa electrical or petrol??

Petrol Shindaiwa, probs a 285s or something. Shindaiwa make electric saws but only for the Japanese market. I've never seen one from them anywhere else.

Petrol Shindaiwa, probs a 285s or something. Shindaiwa make electric saws but only for the Japanese market. I've never seen one from them anywhere else.

sold in the US too

CIMG4475.jpg

CIMG4476.jpg

I looked on Shindaiwa's website (it's probably not up to date but still) and there were only petrol chainsaws marketed in the US. That Shindaiwa would have been before the echo merge.

Are the Makita electric saws made to the same quality as thier petrol chainsaws, I wonder?

I have since recently a Makita UC3530A. The power is fantastic(2000w!)! It has more power than my 2hp Stihl 180 but less that my 3,5hp Solo 644 new version. I don't have anything in between so comparison is difficult.

uc3030a_big.jpg

I used it first on small stuff, but it went so fast with it's 3/8 safety hobby chain that I went further. Went right up to full blade sunk into chestnut. It was really fast. I will make a video in the new year.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat! It has really convinced me.

I have two small Remington electric chainsaws with 14" bars. (One my neighbor nearly destroyed.) They work great for limbing and small stuff. I thought about getting a more powerful electric saw but after looking around decided against it. The problem with the more powerful electric saws is the amps they draw and the associated cord length and size limitations.

Latest posts

Back