Electronic ignitions????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynodave

equal opportunity gearhead
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Any one have old (dead is OK) electronic ignitions for old saws. Love to get a few. Willing to reimburse postage. Especially old poulan, homelite that are NLA. I hope to disect them to learn how they are made and work with a view to modify existing units to revive old saws I have, with more commonly available/affordable units. I only have one now...a dead homelite 330 ignition that I'd like to get going for not much money....Don't need points type coils at this point.

Thanks

Interesting - I only have one failed unit from my McCulloch SE3420 (PM6xx) and I've been saving it to do exactly the same thing. I want to de-capsulate it and see what went wrong with it.

If you want to see what went wrong? that's my plan too. I think I have to find out how they function then I can possibly see how mine failed as well. Do you know if these are electromagnetic triggered VIA semiconductor to shut off the primary. I have also thought of SCR triggered ON primary during the coil/voltage sine wave passing through it. There fore the SCR would have to block the primary during the off state...which is most of the time or... during dwell off state.
I have yet to pull the flywheel off this 330. Then I'll take some measurements, electrical as well as the physical size and mounting on the "armature". $144 for a ebay NOS or one $25 used. I'm looking to put a new $22 aftermarket on the old armature.:msp_wink:
I'll have to sample the flywheel magnetic N-S polarity to see if that enters into the equation. It may not matter for points/coil but semiconductors don't work much when reverse biased.

Back