Elm burl table with new sanding technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garysmith

garysmith

Hi everyone; Thought I'd share a new sanding technique with you. I worked on this elm burl table for an entire weekend and put together several router fixtures to flatten the top so the hinged tops would close correctly. After a lot of cursing and failing miserably with the router fixtures I gave up and tried something totaly different. I tied the darn table with four legs attached and dragged it upside down behind my truck down the state road. Looked like a dead dog with rigermortis laying back there; legs sticking up toward the big dogbone in the sky. It took only about 1/4 mile to finish the table top to a nice flat surface. I finished off the road rash with 150 grit sandpaper on a DA sander and it turned out nicely if I might say so myself.
I am thinking about asking the state of Va, to put grit numbers alongside route numbers on their road maps for future projects. Can't figure out how to attach a photo yet. I'll have to work on that. Gary

buzz sawyer
Hi everyone; Thought I'd share a new sanding technique with you. I worked on this elm burl table for an entire weekend and put together several router fixtures to flatten the top so the hinged tops would close correctly. After a lot of cursing and failing miserably with the router fixtures I gave up and tried something totaly different. I tied the darn table with four legs attached and dragged it upside down behind my truck down the state road. Looked like a dead dog with rigermortis laying back there; legs sticking up toward the big dogbone in the sky. It took only about 1/4 mile to finish the table top to a nice flat surface. I finished off the road rash with 150 grit sandpaper on a DA sander and it turned out nicely if I might say so myself.
I am thinking about asking the state of Va, to put grit numbers alongside route numbers on their road maps for future projects. Can't figure out how to attach a photo yet. I'll have to work on that. Gary

HAHA! That's one neat idea! Gotta post some pics.