Elm Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice lumber. I have a bit of it drying in the barn myself, some of which is nicely spalted. It's nice stuff to work with too.

I saw a lot of American Elm for firewood. I usually cut trees after they are dead but have cut lots of live ones and never really noticed a strong odor. Dead elm splits better than green. You can see small cracks that let you know where the wood wants to split. Even after you get a wedge in it sometimes you have to finish cutting the stringy fibres with an ax.

that's some nice lookin' lumber. elm doesn't seem to be real abundant around here. just ran into a few when i was loggin'. one's i saw had about 1/4 to 1/3 sapwood, maybe kin to the ones you had woodshop.

Last edited:
...Kind of looks like some of the "Siberian elm" I've seen on Ebay...

I think Andy is on to something... I went out and checked my stash in the shed and came across a chunk I had labeled siberian elm, and it was pretty dark, almost brown. Dusty I think you may have some siberian elm there.

I read about different types of Elm that are very common in Kentucky. I didnt know this but Hackberry is in the Elm family. One of the characteristics of Hackberry is that it splits easily (mine didnt). Others are Water Elm, Winged Elm, American Elm (also called White Elm) , Slippery Elm (also called Red Elm), September Elm, and Rock Elm (also called Cork Elm). While looking at pictures of the bark of these trees I noticed that Water Elm has a bark that is similar to that of Shagbark Hickory. The closest match to the one that I cut was pictured as Rock Elm. I bought this book about a year or so ago from our local library, Its titled "Trees and Shrubs of Kentucky". The librarian asked me after about my 8th or 9th time that I checked it out If I would like for her to order me a copy. :)

Terry, do you see wavy bands in the end grain of your elm ?

I looked at the boards this morning and didnt notice any wavy bands Scott. Ill check them again after they have had time to dry a bit. They still have a lot of moisture in them from where they sat outside in the rain and snow for the last month or two. Im gonna move them out of the shop and to the drying shed after this "blizzard" moves out.:cheers:

the wavey lines are easiest to see on the face grain with an obliqe cut. they will appear as little 'w's and once you see them you will then be able to see them on full face grain. on end grain they show up as a pattern in the way the pores are arranged.

It should be noted that they are often difficult to see unless you make a very clean cut with a utility knife that has a new blade in it. Cut across at least two or three rings, and you will see the pattern of the pores which are unique for every species. If you have a table saw and you have a very good sharp blade on it, you can sometimes see the pores and that pattern from a standard crosscut.

If you're really interested, slip a small chunk that has at least one or two rings into an envelope (like a 1x3 1/4 inch thick and send it to me, I will fire up my scope and do a positive ID using the books I have.

Latest posts

Back