employee experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how do your employees feel about working for you?

• Who cares about them (the employees)?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They overall enjoy the work

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • It is just another job for them

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was working for a "friend" today and was thinking about different employers I have worked for over the years. Most of those people treated me / other employees like garbage. How would you guys characterize the experience your employees have during the time they work for you (on a general basis)?

I try to make work as enjoyable as I can for people who I employ. I realize that by keeping them happy, they will keep me happy and will go the extra mile. The ones who treat people like garbage are constantly having problems (get the idiots / employees hate them / etc)

I have had one employee for almost a year now. Dan is great to work with. He knows that I am the boss and respects that and doesnt take my friendliness as a level of equality at work. Outside of work we are just plain friends. He knows how not to mix them and so do I. You wouldnt know who is the boss and who is the employee outside of work.

Treeman - you said: "The ones who treat people like garbage are constantly having problems (get the idiots / employees hate them / etc)"

That's a universal truth applicable throughout every endeavor.

I'd like to add the trees they work on look crappier, their equipment fails, they get caught in more traffic jams, have horrible relationships at home, their own kids hate them, have to have triple bypass surgery before they're fifty, and the IRS keeps a closer look at their books. In all, their life sucks and gets exponentially worse the more they choose to be jerks.

I call that simple justice.

I routinely ask my employees for feedback. I am usually willing to go alittle out of my way for them when needed and I expect them to be willing to go a little out of their way when I ask. I try and have open lines of communication with my employees but I still have the final say. I encourage them to ask questions but not to question my judgement. In my opinion there is difference between being in charge and being in control. If you try and micromanage it usually comes back to bite you. Conversely if you don't give clear direction you usually won't end up with the final product you envisioned. I encourage a work environment where everyone works together instead of making them feel as if they are beneath me in some way. I usually hire people over 21 unless they exhibit an unusual amount of maturity. You have to pay them a little more but you babysit them less.

I recently had the worst experience ever. I am an aspiring climber and recently moved to the southeast Texas area to be closer to some relatives as well as draw on the experience of climbing some of these towering pines. this outfit i landed a job with had to be the worst i have ever worked for. never before have i had a problem with giving and recieving respect with those i worked with these guys were impossible. after 4 days of bs things finally came to a head and i spoke my piece, i ended up walking some 15 mile to get my truck. i recently picked up pay and no appologies were offered. this area is loaded with one pick-up, grinder, assortment of saws and climbing gear opperations. yea the grappling truck took a bag of kitty litter per job for leaking fluid, told me that he had quit counting after he went through 400+ tree-men ect.. top it off with a addver. saying ISA certified, did some research no listing in the name. to make this long story short i just hope to find a legitimate company where respect, safty, and appreciation for a motivated climber/worker can be appreciated

climbin safe,

Nik

Nik,
there's a couple outfits in Houston and surronding areas that routinely work on pines. Is that a commute from where you are now?

i'm currently in the beaumont area and i have combed yellow pages several times over the past couple of weeks. So far no luck except with that comp. i had bad luck with. Houston would be a little far. Trying to stay within reason for now. WE plan on moving up to nj in March of next if no other offers come up. but for the next few months there are strings attached here. Cannot wait to move though....tree work is not a very well respected industry in this area wages are low with little or no benifitsOakwilt if you or any others Know some links in this aarea let me know
climbin safe,
Nik

Welcome to the board, Nik

C'mon in, grab a chair, kick back and make yourself at home. Lots of good info and resources here, if you can take the occassional heat from jerks like me who tend to like trees better than people. :rolleyes:

Networking is an important avenue that many don't pursue strongly enough. Talk with the guys at the local (pro) saw shop. If you have a local Vermeer dealer, go talk to the counter guy who handles the Sherrill stuff. I've gotten my last 2 climbing gigs as referrals from a local stump grinding sub. Get your name out however you can, emphasizing your assets and desire to find quality arborists. If you see a tree crew working, stop and watch them for a few minutes. 5 minutes will tell you if they are a company you would want to approach about a job.

Good luck!

Surely glad i found this link :D
Iknow with all the members there is certainlty going to be some good info flowing around. tomorrow starts the breakening of another job search...i'll definitly try some of the local supply shops perhaps i'll find a link there if not there only one thing to do keep plugging..they say "whatever you are seeking is seeking you" i know that my passion for this industry will have its rewards in the future. I'm not a quitter,never have been never will be. Quiters don't make it to the top......

Later,
Nik

Re: Welcome to the board, Nik

Originally posted by treeclimber165
[Lots of good info and resources here, if you can take the occassional heat from jerks like me who tend to like trees better than people. :rolleyes:

]

Don't you cut off the parts of trees you don't like? How do you treat people you don't like? Remind me to stay on your good side.:D

:D :blob2: :blob2:
Got a call about 20 min. ago... got a job starting at 7:am sharp...this is such a relief, considering i've got a 10month old and wife to provide for..I had called on this company many times and time again i suppose my persistance paid off..i plan on climbing my rear off tomorrow..perhaps these guys will be a bit more legitimate. I'm just glad to be back in them trees and getting paid :D

Climbin Safe,
Nik

Congrats Nik!

Ya see how much we have helped already?! :p

Have fun and climb safe tomorrow. I just got a call myself, and I'm booked for 4 days this week and possibly Saturday for a removal at a Dr's office. :)

Our entire tree crew only works 4 days a week. They wanted it, it works for the company, and I guess that's what matters. Right?

Seems pretty appealing that you can have a three day weekend for 50 weeks a year. :)

Nickrosis

165 only thinks he is anti-social because he has a low tolerance for idiocy. He is really a prince of a fellow when he hangs out with quality people--like us!;)

Originally posted by treeman82
I was working for a "friend" today and was thinking about different employers I have worked for over the years. Most of those people treated me / other employees like garbage. How would you guys characterize the experience your employees have during the time they work for you (on a general basis)?

Two out of three companies I have worked for treated their employees like garbage though in different ways, and the third was great except they were going broke and closed the door before the bank did.

A few ways to really impress your employees(from my personal experience):

Be late with , or bounce, paycheques, and offer not a word of apology or explantion;

Pay them peanuts, and then do not understand why they have no loyalty, and leave at the first opportunity for more $$$$$,

Treat them generally like idiots, and then be surprised when they walk away (fortunately I was only about an hour walk from home and not fifteen miles out like mentioned above),

Use out of date techniques (eg spike everything, do not believe in mulching, fertilizer etc) and then wonder why you are not perceived as being a professional;

Disregard safety regulations. common sence regarding "housekeeping", insist they wear safety gear when you yourself do not (ever), provide no safety intro for new employees at all, and again wonder why you are not perceived as a pro;

Treat your customers like dirt, do not do that extra effort to leave them happy, and wonder why your employees are disgusted with your p*ss poor attitide about life in general, which seems to revolve around making as much money as possible with the least amount of quality service;

Have a whole pile of equipment, most of it broken, worn out or repossessed by a mechanic's lien. Make no effort on your own part to maintain it at all.

Do not recognize or utilize the potential or past experience of your employees, be it directly or indirectly related to tree service. Offer no opportunity for education or growth;

Do not supervise your employees at work....I am not talking about being there all the time in a larger operation, but it is amazing what a short visit a couple of times a week to a job site can accomplish, in terms of moral, equipment problems, problems with the job at hand etc. When I was in the Army these were called Platoon Commanders visits, and it gave me an opportunity to see what my men (and women) were up to. It also give the appearance (perhaps erroneously) that you actually give a sh*t about what is going on in your company. It helps to visit on a really cold or miserable day, and perhaps consider bring some coffee along! Maybe actually get your hands dirty helping with a task that needs a little extra "grunt".

My two cents worth.

more

Put your employees in positions where they have to make a decision, however minor, and then ?????, moan, whine,complain and be generally obnoxious that it was not the right one. And then wonder the next time when action needs to be taken to solve an impasse, they do nothing, and wait for you to make the right one, which again results in more ?????ing, moaning, whining and complaining on your part.

Knowingly send them out on jobs with inadequate tools to do the job, ie broken equipment, no rakes, no fuel for the saws, a truck that has only 1/4 tank of diesel in it,etc and when they fork over the $$$$$$$ out of their own pockets to get the job done, do not pay them back for weeks, if ever.

Originally posted by nik1978
:D :blob2: :blob2:
Got a call about 20 min. ago... got a job starting at 7:am sharp...
Climbin Safe,
Nik

How'd it go today, Nik?

Oh, Stumper- you are too kind. :rolleyes:

Well if it would quit raining around this camp i could say better...only got four hours in monday and rained today and looks like the rest of the week. Seems like a good group of guys to work with...on a speaking level. Not knuckle heads like that last out-fit. did a little cable work before getting rained out. Bummer too i'm getting tired of looking at all my children, one life to live and general hospital...waas looking forward to a trip to houston to do some work ...boss gives per diem, hotel, etc.. good chance to get some solitude after drawing this unemplyment for 3 months :
p :D

Nik

Its always nice to talk with co workers but the true colors shine through when its time to get up and get dirty
:D
Nik

Back