Ethanol fuel additives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John S

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm stuck with 10% ethanol fuels in my general area, hate to be using them in my saws, blower, etc but no other choices readily available. Is there any one particular fuel additive I could put in the fuel to help prevent the bad side effects of using this type of fuel?

Local farm supply has the ethanol shield, I'll give it a try.

I'm stuck with 10% ethanol fuels in my general area, hate to be using them in my saws, blower, etc but no other choices readily available. Is there any one particular fuel additive I could put in the fuel to help prevent the bad side effects of using this type of fuel?

If you don't want to pay extra for additives and all that, I used ethanol-laced gas for years and never had any issues with it.

But, when I was done using my OPE, I drained the fuel tank, started it back up, and let it idle until it died on it's own. Been doing that for over 30 yrs. and no problems.

Currently I am using canned fuel. I will until it runs out, then I will be going back to pump gas.

I also do what 2123 does. leaf clean up I go thru a lot of mix gas . I run dry and put some tru fuel in it and run for 5minutes and shut it off .
I may start them up once a month just to keep fuel moving thru the system.

Ethanol causes major problems 2 ways. First is that the pump says 10 percent and there is really 20 in it. The second is from letting gas sit the ethanol separates from the gasoline leaving you with a big slug of pure ethanol in the tank.
All the other problems associated with ethanol are just symptoms of the accelerated deterioration of rubber components.

You can avoid the slug of ethanol by shaking your fuel can before filling the saw up and that accelerated deterioration of rubber can be offset somewhat by not letting equipment sit around with fuel in it.

Ethanol causes major problems 2 ways. First is that the pump says 10 percent and there is really 20 in it. The second is from letting gas sit the ethanol separates from the gasoline leaving you with a big slug of pure ethanol in the tank.
All the other problems associated with ethanol are just symptoms of the accelerated deterioration of rubber components.

You can avoid the slug of ethanol by shaking your fuel can before filling the saw up and that accelerated deterioration of rubber can be offset somewhat by not letting equipment sit around with fuel in it.

Maybe in some states, but not all. Here in AZ., the max. allowed is up to 10%.

I have a friend that works for the state's Weights & Measure Division. He knows about stuff like that.

I buy E-free gas a few miles away, 89 octane, and put Stabil with ethanol treatment in it anyway. You never know when a tanker driver is going to inadvertently put the wrong gas in the pump.

I only use liquid performace ethanol equalizer it actually works compared to startron or stabil.
watch this video about it.
th.jpg

Maybe in some states, but not all. Here in AZ., the max. allowed is up to 10%.

I have a friend that works for the state's Weights & Measure Division. He knows about stuff like that.
That's how our pumps are labeled. 10 percent max but we have tested some of it at up around 18 percent. Most of what we have tested in the shop is between 0 and 5 though. I'm sure that 18 wasn't the normal or even close to it but I would never rule it out. Btw the saw that had that fuel in it wasn't hurt a bit.

Bad video!! BS alert. Not saying LiquidPerformance is bad, in any way... but that vid is SHADY. Note how camera stays centered until they get to LP. Film cuts, "water" bottle level changes, bottle is moved, film blur cuts back in.... New "water" is added.... SHADY. Same thing happens again when they show results..... Guess what: LiquidPerformance wins.
No synthetic petroleum additive can/will neutralize water. Separation prevention is what counts.

shady or not it does work and works a whole lot better than anything on the market.

might find ethanol free gas in your state here:

http://pure-gas.org/

around here, last time I checked it was called super premium or ultra premium and it was quite expensive. many marinas sell ethanol free gas as well, if you're near one.

but, it is more expensive.

shady or not it does work and works a whole lot better than anything on the market.
.... yup, and Oregon bars cut faster... whatever works for YOU: use it.
I've never had any issues with Stabil, so.... I use it. Don't need a tailored video paid for & produced by Stabil to tell me that.
I've been hitting the eggnog... Don't mean nothing. Merry Christmas

Back