Ever found something strange in your ashes??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blkcloud

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
This morning I was raking my coals and saw something sticking up out of the ashes.. Looked out of place so I raked it out and it's a pair of side cutters.. Bout 90% sure they are not mine since I'm not missing any... I'm thinking they had to be inside a piece of firewood.. No one ever loads the heater but me...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
dave_376

dave_376

ArboristSite Guru
One time I found a splitting wedge when I went to clean out the ashes. I was raking the coals and hit something heavy. I fiddled with it for a minute before I realized what it was. Nearest I can figure I was splitting a piece and got it wedged in it. Got frustrated with it and threw it aside to finish later. I assume I eventually split some off of the sides of the piece and said good enough, it will be a good all night piece. I remember thinking to myself as I loaded the stove that one piece was heavy.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Found about 10ft of barbed wire a few days ago. Also a chainsaw engine, half melted, couple cheap scrwenches. Have also found 4 or 5 forks and spoons from my house. I have no idea how those get in the trash.

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
. AS Supporting Member.
I do residential tree work so we find lots of stuff in trees. Sometimes I find things by surprise but quite often I use the wood stove to recover hardware that I know is there and 'burn it out' on purpose. I get quite a few large nails from old deer stands builds, hammock hanging hardware, etc.

bigbadbob

bigbadbob

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I was cleaning the ashes from my fire pit, I had been burning log scraps from my old cabin tear down I usually run a magnet thru to get all the nails etc out.
As I am pulling it around I see it wont pick up two six inch spikes,, WTF I put them aside finish my ashes.
Take the spikes to the shop bend one and realize they are copper!! Took about a year to finally figure that the guys building the cabin had stolen the spikes from the railway as there used to be a shop behind the cabin, I think the spikes were used to put the sideblocks on the telephone poles way back when. I keep them on my shop wall.
BBB

Shagbark

Shagbark

ArboristSite Guru
On two different occasions on the first fire of the year when cleaning the stove for the initial burn I've found a dead wood duck. One was mummified from crawling down the chimney in the spring, the other was just freshly dead. First was a hen, second a drake.
He was in hot pursuit, she was a typical female.