Ever pay for logs or trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would this be for a free tree? 234" around at 4'6" high

This is a huge white oak a friend of mine wants me to cut ( and have ). Yesterday I cut the big burl off the side and found out the bad news, there's only about 6" of wood left around the outside, totally hollow. But the top is "full" of burls Now I am tryin to figure out how to cut it :confused::confused: Not sure what the next step will be :confused:

these were free too, sycamore if standing would have been 42" dbh, a poplar was about 38"

Well, with nothing good showing up for free, I ended up paying $200 for an English Walnut yard tree. All the branches had been cut off but the tree was still standing.

Pros - Short drive from home
36" diameter
Didn't care if I cut it up in the yard and left a huge mess.
Cons - Hit some large metal (laundry hook?) that broke off about 10 teeth but the place I bought the chain patched it back together for free.

Expense - $200 for tree
$40 for my climber friend to top it.
$60 for someone strong to help me load it.
~$50 for saw/chain/gas/mix etc.
Total $350

I ended up with 16 slabs, 9 feet long, 9/4 to 12/4 thick and 20" - 36" wide. For the investment I'm happy - some of the slabs are probably each worth more than $350.

Here's how I found it:
walnut2.jpg

The bole:
IMG_0106.jpg

Part way done:
IMG_0127.jpg

Stacked:
IMG_0168.jpg

The ends are waxed - but I should probably slap another coat on there for good measure! Yeah - live edge tables for sure! Counter tops and would be good. I might make lumber out of some of it too for smaller projects. It seams like a shame to cut up such big boards but if the alternative is buying lumber, I know what I'll do.

Back