Ever seen a Woodpecker do this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left a pine tree stump in the yard, and a woodpecker bored a hole in it, and made a nest for the next year or two. But it didn't make a mess like that.

Most likely going after grubs in the core. We had some big black ash in the yard and the pileated woodpeckers showed up and turned two of them into Swiss cheese. Once we cut them down we saw they were hollow and full of ants and grubs.

Woodpeckers do a public service as they will often identify trees that are totally core rotted that we assumed were healthy.

Woodpeckers do a public service as they will often identify trees that are totally core rotted that we assumed were healthy.

That's pretty cool! Learned something new today. Thanks.

We have Red Bellied, Red Head, Sapsuckers, and a few otber Woodpeckers. Apparently KS is supposed to have the large Pileated, but I have yet to see one. I've got one that keeps coming back and has an obsession with enlarging the opening on a small bird house but never moves in.

This one suburban neighborhood I work in has several types of wood peckers. A lot of these homes have cedar siding and cedar shake roofs. They love the Cedar. Combine that with rotting ash everywhere and....boom, population explosion!

They do that to the ash trees here in Nebraska, as well. I took one out at the end of last summer that looked like that from about 15' off of the ground and all the way up the codominant stems until the wood was under 4" diameter. They're crazy busy trying to attract a mate, and if the first hole doesn't meet their standards, they start another one. There was only a few limbs that looked dead, the rest of the tree appeared solid. But, like SVK said... they can tell otherwise. Right where the solid wood of the trunk ended and the rotted hollow parts began is where they were drilling their holes. The two or three solid limbs on the tree up higher were untouched, but all of the rotted ones were drilled like Swiss cheese.

Amazing little birds, really.

The number one food source for the Pileated is black carpenter ants. I have a little Chestnut Oak that they riddled. I love them, reminds me of deer hunting in Western Maryland as a kid. They sound like a jack hammer pecking, and make a cool noise when flying. I've only seen the one pair that riddled my Oak here in Frederick MD, but we have quite a few of them on the farm in WV, Joe.

Rectangle holes is one way to id which wood pecker made the holes. Pileated do this in my woods. Have at least 6 pair in this area.

Pileated-Woodpecker.jpg

:D Al

Some Ash trees in my backyard and being attacked by a giant wood pecker and here I thought the EAB would have gotten em. More firewood I guess.
That's the sign that you have one of the rarest woodpeckers in north america in your area. They are likely hearing carpenter ants and will excavate holes like that to get to huge ant nests in the soft core of compromised trees that have been attacked by the insects. The birds are telling us that this tree has been attacked by an animal(usually an insect).
Carpenter ants are like chocolate to Piliated woodpeckers. Treasure those birds as they are one of the most beautiful ones we have left in North America. Feel lucky and try to get us some pics of them.

There are "woodpecker hotels" all in my woods. It's really neat to see the 6-12" of chips at the base of the tree.

I figure it keeps the little rascals off of the cedar siding.

Then you always have "the special" woodpecker that loves the down spouts. Sounds like he's firing an MG42 or it has watched too many A10 "fart of God" gun run videos. BRRRRRRRRRRRP. Lol

We've got pleated and quite a few other species of woodpeckers. They love the suet we buy for them. Unfortunately, they also love the gingerbread moulding on our home.

Back