Ever seen this kind of stack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My piles look just like yours, but limited to how high my front end loader can get 'em up there. The pallets provide air flow coming up from underneath. I soak my pallets in old motor oil, which seems to add a couple years to their service life. I've tried piles before without pallets, and it seems that it's not just the very bottom layer that rots, the rot seems to spread quickly on up the stack, particularly with maple and hackberry. I'm ok with the mice, we got foxes here that need something to eat.

I put my pallets up on railroad ties to stop pallet rot, plus the extra height lets the cats under there easy.

Just get the wood in a sunny windy place and you can eliminate all this fancy stacking.

Around here, wood touching the ground gets termites and rot really fast. And it doesn't matter laying out in the sun, the bugs are relentless, up off the ground is the only solution.

chuckwood. most of the skids under that pile are about 4 years old and are still in good shape. I lift them up as I remove the pile and if they look crappy they get cut up and into the OWB. I can get 100's of skids so not worried about rot much. They sink into the mud pretty good. Next year I will likely just use the wooden skids with 24" splits that I've been making. I'll pile them on old skids to save the bottom of the good ones. Unless I actually start selling 16" wood, I gotta get rid of that pile sooner or later.

Holzhausens intrigue us Americans we tend to think the German culture has figured out a unique way centuries ago to super season the wood they use . The truth is less than special ..they only reason they do this to conserve space . They don't own large plots of land in their back yards like Americans so they make do in this way . Holhausens are proven to season poorly and they cave in or fall over a lot .

Latest posts

Back