Ever think about doing the impossible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheeves - I relate to that and good for you. Inactivity killed my father. I hope I learned a lesson. It gets harder to git-r-done but you just gotta have the determination to do it.

All I can say is WHY? LOL
I guess we all do things at times just because.
I have done so many things that looking back I probably shouldn't have. I have two ruptured discs in my lower back from 35 years of self abuse doing what I love to do (I am a builder).
Congrats on gettin' it done! :)

All I can say is WHY? LOL
I guess we all do things at times just because.
I have done so many things that looking back I probably shouldn't have. I have two ruptured discs in my lower back from 35 years of self abuse doing what I love to do (I am a builder).
Congrats on gettin' it done! :)

Why? Because that way I don't have to wonder if I can do it. I know one way or another! :msp_w00t: Plus with this, it was a challenge and I'm always up for a challenge even if it was one I created in the first place! :msp_smile:

BTW, my back was broken in two when a car hit me almost head on. It also snapped my left thumb off (it was just dangling there) broke a few ribs and tore up my innerds. I died 3 times, once in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, in the ER, and during surgery. Currently I only have feeling in about half my legs and feet, but I can walk and I was back riding motorcycles 6 weeks later. The doc told me I could return to riding in 6 weeks, but later he told me he made a mistake. That I was supposed to be off motorcycles for 6 months but preferably a year and then just short rides on smooth roads for at least another 6 months. (is there such a thing as a smooth road?) He told me that at the 6 week appointment. Ooops, too late!:hmm3grin2orange:

I've split 8' sections of locust for fence posts, it's not fun but possible for sure.

We always laid the log down and started driving wedges from one end to start the split. Once it starts move down the log a bit and start getting it opened up. At that point you have 2 choices. Either make a wedge out of another piece of locust and drive it lengthwise through the log, or stick a bumper jack in the split and start forcing it apart.

Once you get the first split done it gets easier. Normally though after 6 or 8 posts you were done for the day.

Done a pile of those myself. Locust is a fairly easy splitting species. I used maul and 4 or 5 wedges just chasing the crack down the logs. Only problem I had was on logs with big knots.

Harry K

been told id never be able to work again , been told id never walk again, no such thing as impossible, just keep goin

I can't even imagine my splitting wood on a regular basis in 4 foot lengths let alone 32 inchers. I prefer the 16 inch rounds.

Doing the 4 footer was just to see if I could do it. I really thought there was no way on gods green earth that I could but I had to at least try. Believe me, that will be the only one I'll ever do. It was fun extending my limits though :) :msp_biggrin:

You must have a big wood stove :msp_scared:

been told id never be able to work again , been told id never walk again, no such thing as impossible, just keep goin

That's right, with a good positive attitude there isn't anything you can accomplish!

There's a girl I know who broke her back in the same area as mine about a year after I broke mine. The only difference was her attitude. She gave up, refused to do whatever was necessary to get back to living a fairly normal life. When she was released from the hospital she could walk on her own but she felt sorry for herself and made everyone around her feel sorry for her too. She wouldn't do as the doctor asked, and she wouldn't do the physical therapy. Eventually she was confined to a wheelchair and totally lost the use of her legs. So while I'm out there living life, she has to watch life as it passes her by. The key is to NEVER EVER give up!

I never had to do physical therapy, because as the doctor put it "They couldn't do more for you than you are already doing for yourself!"

Latest posts

Back