Every young man needs a saw, especially if it's a Christmas present

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my 1st saw as a gift as well. It was a Stihl 015. Did I think that my parents were cheap because they bought me such a small saw? Hell no! I was grateful that they got me such a nice present. I cut a lot of wood with it before I upgraded to the Stihl 031AV that I have had for 30 years. '

I am sure that your sons will love the MS290's. It is a good saw for the intended use and it is reasonably priced. I don't feel that they need a professional grade saw like the MS261 or Huskey, Jred or Dolmar equivalent.

Thanks for all the responses. One of my local dealers, in fact the biggest one, sells Stihl, Husky, and Echo. I checked into the 450, and I'll call him tomorrow and see what he can do if I buy four at once.

I own a couple Dolmars, a 3410T and a 7900 as well as an old Husky 55 Rancher. Honestly, I really like all three, but if I had to have just one saw for everything it would be really hard to part with that 7900. I'd hate to have it up in the bucket, but I'd even do that if it was down to just one.

Now let's get practical here. The 7900 is not a casual, entry level or even multi-purpose saw. Something like the 261 or 346 might be better suited, but did I mention Dad is not rolling in dough:msp_wink:

These saws will have relatively light use, except for maybe the one son who is a forester. I got him a 200T one Christmas when he worked with me, then he found a "real job", took that little gem with him, and I never even got to use it:(

I have a local Dolmar dealer that I really like. I just don't think they make a saw that fits the description of what I'm looking for in the price range. The 5100/5105 has been on my wish list for a while, but it's pricey.

I believe I'll see what four 290s cost vs. four 450s, and if they throw in a soft case, that'll make for a very nice Christmas gift. Hell, I might even see what kind of a deal they'll make for five new saws and stick one in my truck toolbox just in case I need it. It has been tough since my little XL died, and now I have to use manual tools for clearing the roads:msp_sad: How many of y'all have bought yourselves saws for Christmas in the past ;)

If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to share them even if they insist I spend over 2 grand on this "project".:D

Incidentally, rereading the above makes it sound kind of strange that I use manual tools when I have several saws. My bucket truck with tool body carries the saws, and my forestry pickup is the one I need to restock.

Last edited:
if i were one of your sons, i'd rather you got me a 346 xp. If that saw is out of your price range, i'd still rather have a used 346 xp than a new ms 290.

If you must buy new, and you insist on being cheap, then $369 isn't going to get you anything other than cheesey homeowner saws. I've got a homeowner husqvarna, pretty similar to the ms 290, and it's rather light in the arse. If i only used it once or twice a year to clear storm damage then it would be fine, but it won't last with regular use. Much better to spend an extra couple hundred bucks for a saw that will last a lifetime and blow you away everytime you use it.

Now if your sons are derelicts who don't take care of their sh!t, then i'd say the ms 290 is too good for them. Buy 'em wild things and tell 'em they're lucky they got those instead of a good kick in the arse. Then tell those lazy bums to go fire up their christmas presents and cut you some firewood!
you are an idiot!

thanks for all the responses. One of my local dealers, in fact the biggest one, sells stihl, husky, and echo. I checked into the 450, and i'll call him tomorrow and see what he can do if i buy four at once.

I own a couple dolmars, a 3410t and a 7900 as well as an old husky 55 rancher. Honestly, i really like all three, but if i had to have just one saw for everything it would be really hard to part with that 7900. I'd hate to have it up in the bucket, but i'd even do that if it was down to just one.

Now let's get practical here. The 7900 is not a casual, entry level or even multi-purpose saw. Something like the 261 or 346 might be better suited, but did i mention dad is not rolling in dough:msp_wink:

These saws will have relatively light use, except for maybe the one son who is a forester. I got him a 200t one christmas when he worked with me, then he found a "real job", took that little gem with him, and i never even got to use it:(

i have a local dolmar dealer that i really like. I just don't think they make a saw that fits the description of what i'm looking for in the price range. The 5100/5105 has been on my wish list for a while, but it's pricey.

I believe i'll see what four 290s cost vs. Four 450s, and if they throw in a soft case, that'll make for a very nice christmas gift. Hell, i might even see what kind of a deal they'll make for five new saws and stick one in my truck toolbox just in case i need it. It has been tough since my little xl died, and now i have to use manual tools for clearing the roads:msp_sad: How many of y'all have bought yourselves saws for christmas in the past ;)

if anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to share them even if they insist i spend over 2 grand on this "project".:d

incidentally, rereading the above makes it sound kind of strange that i use manual tools when i have several saws. My bucket truck with tool body carries the saws, and my forestry pickup is the one i need to restock.
the 290 will make an exc. Gift, and a great saw for those boys. The 290 is a well built saw that will last them many years. My first new saw was an 029, and the guy i sold it to is still using it as his primary firewood saw. There are way too many idiots on this site with big egos and small pricks, that think if you are not cutting w/a 70cc pro saw,then you might as well not cut at all. There is a reason the 290 is stihls' best selling saw, it is an exc. Saw for its intended use. It will be a fine choice for you, and you are a great father for doing this for your sons. Your dealer should be able to give you a great deal on 4 of those saws. Something to keep in mind, his cost on an ms290/18" is around 285.00, that should give you some negotiating power if buying four of them. Go buy them saws,your boys will appreciate you for it. An ms290 would handle 99% percent of the cutting that most people on this site do, weather they want to admit it or not.

i wasn't asking him if his kids are bums. Where's your sense of humor? I just figured it the way my own dad would have played it, and lmao thinking about it.

As for the choice of saw, he asked for opinions and i gave him mine. If you think i'm wrong about the ms 290, then say so and say why. Otherwise, piss off.
you are wrong about the 290, it is a great saw if used as intended. And what kind of clown calls someone elses boys' bums? You don't even know him, jerk!

If I were one of your sons, I'd rather you got me a 346 XP. If that saw is out of your price range, I'd still rather have a used 346 XP than a new MS 290.

If you must buy new, and you insist on being cheap, then $369 isn't going to get you anything other than cheesey homeowner saws. I've got a homeowner Husqvarna, pretty similar to the MS 290, and it's rather light in the arse. If I only used it once or twice a year to clear storm damage then it would be fine, but it won't last with regular use. Much better to spend an extra couple hundred bucks for a saw that will last a lifetime and blow you away everytime you use it.

Now if your sons are derelicts who don't take care of their sh!t, then I'd say the MS 290 is too good for them. Buy 'em Wild Things and tell 'em they're lucky they got those instead of a good kick in the arse. Then tell those lazy bums to go fire up their Christmas presents and cut you some firewood!

opinions are like AS*HOLES, everybody has one and they all STINK

All I can say is if I roll out of bed Christmas morning and there's a saw under the tree with my name on it, i'm going to:

A: be running around the neighborhood, probably in my underwear because I was way too busy to get dressed, yelling at motorists and pedestrians about my new saw, knocking on neighbors doors whilst shivering and slobbering from the cold and babbling about my "new prize"

B: sneaking out with the saw and putting cuts in every wooden object within site (watch out neighbors wooden driftboat:D and any existing porches)

C: come on here and start a giant htread with around eleventeen pictures, links to manufacturers specs, and a poll about what I should name it, hell, maybe even a new Muffler Mod thread.

Yeah Right:msp_rolleyes:

you really think he should hunt around for 4 used 346's that are in good shape? a used Christmas present sucks ass
the 290 is a damn good saw for what his kids need and if a dealer if offering a 100 clam discount for getting 4 of em then you'd have to be cracked out of your gourd to scour pawnshops and craigslist for 4 good used 346s

Well after sleeping on it, I realize some kinds of humor don't translate well to the internet. My bad. I should have thought about it more before posting. But no offense was intended, and I certainly didn't intend to question wether his sons were lazy bums.

The bit about the used 346 XP was simply to illustrate how much better that saw, or an MS 261 for Stihl fans, would be compared to a homeowner saw. Although I did get a used 066 for christmas one year, and you can bet I was happier with that used saw than I'd have been with a whole truckload of new homeowner saws.

Well after sleeping on it, I realize some kinds of humor don't translate well to the internet. My bad. I should have thought about it more before posting. But no offense was intended, and I certainly didn't intend to question wether his sons were lazy bums.

The bit about the used 346 XP was simply to illustrate how much better that saw, or an MS 261 for Stihl fans, would be compared to a homeowner saw. Although I did get a used 066 for christmas one year, and you can bet I was happier with that used saw than I'd have been with a whole truckload of new homeowner saws.

Awright, truce

a used 66 is a different animal altogether, I'd #### a solid gold tiger if I got a used 66 for Christmas

I second the post about getting the four 290's and using the jack you have left over if looking at more expensive saws to get them chaps. If these aren't saws to be used day in and day out, the 290's will last them a very long time. I know at least a dozen folks right off the top of my head who own 290's (not on here, folks I live and work with - regular guys who might use them a few times a year and that's it) and I never hear complaints out of them.

Sure, it's not a 261, 361, 362 or 460 but you're not paying nearly as much for it either, and given your description of their intended use (and the fact you're buying FOUR of them) I think you're thinking right.

Hell, all my Dad did was let me BORROW his old 011 once upon a time about 10 years ago when I had just bought my house and got in a bind....screwing around with that thing is the reason once I could afford it I got a 260, then a 460,.....then a 660.

You're too nice to those punks - get 'em hand saws :msp_wink:!

OK, fine, I'm in the Christmas spirit now and have decided to adopt the whole lot of you.

However, there are a few things I need to reveal before you move in. First off, I have 148 acres of old pecan orchards to keep cleaned up. The big limbs and dead trees will be fun for you I'm sure, what with your new saws and all, but picking up small limbs and sticks, by hand, on that much territory can get old fast. Just as soon as one's finished a wind has come through and it's time to start all over again.:dizzy: Second, with all my new "children" to feed and house, your Christmas chainsaw won't be orange and white, it'll be green and black.:hmm3grin2orange:

Although I did get a used 066 for christmas one year, and you can bet I was happier with that used saw than I'd have been with a whole truckload of new homeowner saws.

Yea, those homeowner saws, just can't count them. Especially if your a homeowner being given a homeowner saw by your dad. OP - do you need anymore son's, I could be adopted.
I've only had my crummy homeowner saw a short time, I'm sure it might crap out anytime now. Maybe I should just chuck both my 50's and rush out and buy a 346 :).

The bit about the used 346 XP was simply to illustrate how much better that saw, or an MS 261 for Stihl fans, would be compared to a homeowner saw. Although I did get a used 066 for christmas one year, and you can bet I was happier with that used saw than I'd have been with a whole truckload of new homeowner saws.[/QUOTE]

To read what you think about it the MS290 is worse than a Chinese Homelite. The truth is that the MS290 is a mid range saw meant to be used more than a homeowner saw but less than a Pro saw. For what clinchscavalry's sons are going to use the saws for the MS290 is an excellent choice.

you cant go wrong with ms290's they will last a homeowner a lifetime they usually have a short life due to strait gas or too lean ;)

Back