Every young man needs a saw, especially if it's a Christmas present

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the time I was 12 I'd been asking my dad to use his saw (a mac XV) He loved getting us tool for Christmas as every year until we had a falling out I asked for one and never got it. I ended up purchasing my own ms-250 at 16, partially out of need, partially out of desire, and partially out of spite.

I think you're a great dad for even of thinking this. Regardless of how much experience your sons have or how much these saws will be used, every man, husband, father should own a saw and know how to maintain it. You never know when you might need it.
For most every "do it yourself" scenario...(and even beyond) the ms-290 will take care of it.

Kudos to you!

All I can say is if I roll out of bed Christmas morning and there's a saw under the tree with my name on it, i'm going to:

A: be running around the neighborhood, probably in my underwear because I was way too busy to get dressed, yelling at motorists and pedestrians about my new saw, knocking on neighbors doors whilst shivering and slobbering from the cold and babbling about my "new prize"

B: sneaking out with the saw and putting cuts in every wooden object within site (watch out neighbors wooden driftboat:D and any existing porches)

C: come on here and start a giant htread with around eleventeen pictures, links to manufacturers specs, and a poll about what I should name it, hell, maybe even a new Muffler Mod thread.

I couldn't agree more with this, that's probably what I would have been doing but Dad is long gone, he had 5 Stihl Chainsaws, I got none of them but that's ok I didn't really need any of them anyway. Get'em the 290 and they'll be jumping up and down with joy. Unless their like my son and might not know which end to hold, he's pretty good at driving a tractor but not much at stuff like chainsaws.

290s are a fine saw for what they are. Mine cut over 100 cords of firewood while I owned it, it's now semi retired and lives in little brother's shed waiting for a branch to fall in the yard. All I ever put into it was wear stuff (bar, chains, sprocket, plug) and a fuel line or two. It just plain does what you ask it to, not real fast but the job gets done.

Do yourself a favor though, and check out the 420 Dolmars, they run like they're a bigger saw than they are, and don't mind having a 16" bar buried now and then. For an occasional user, it should fit the bill just fine. It's also the easiest starting saw I own.

290s are a fine saw for what they are. Mine cut over 100 cords of firewood while I owned it, it's now semi retired and lives in little brother's shed waiting for a branch to fall in the yard. All I ever put into it was wear stuff (bar, chains, sprocket, plug) and a fuel line or two. It just plain does what you ask it to, not real fast but the job gets done.

Do yourself a favor though, and check out the 420 Dolmars, they run like they're a bigger saw than they are, and don't mind having a 16" bar buried now and then. For an occasional user, it should fit the bill just fine. It's also the easiest starting saw I own.

I am a fan of Dolmars, and my 7900 is the easiest starting saw I've ever had or even seen. It starts better than the little 3410 or the Husky, Stihl, Homelite, or Poulans I'm familiar with !

However, I have to choose a saw with good dealer support, so that pretty much limits it to Stihl and Husky. I'll get some more package deals today and see who can make the order.

My first "New" saw was a MS290, and I've had it for 6 years or so with nothing other than a new plug for parts. I won't claim to be a pro, but it's been used fairly heavily every fall for firewood.

As long as they know enough to use fresh gas, and mix the oil, I think they will be a great saw for them.

My $.02 :popcorn:

I think it would be a great gift. I am a stihl fan, have had a few husky saws in the past.. I also have a small dolmar dealer nearby. I looked at many saws before I bought one that replaced my husky 350( IMHO a POS, not saying husky in general, just that saw inparticular)

If you are not set on the ms290... you may look online at a few other saws.
Honestly you say you have a dolmar dealer close... You may want to check out the Makita version,, can be had online at good discounts and have good reviews...

Otherwise.. I think the ms 290 is a good saw... if they are not needing that big of a saw the ms 260( non pro ) can still be had... or maybe a ms270 they seem like nice user friendly saws that still have enough grunt for most firewood / clearing applications...
Another thought... cash is just that... Maybe a dealer would be more willingto set you up with a nice stihl hard case, some mix, spare chains etc to better outfit your sons.. Nothing worse than being a newbie, rocking a chain in th ewoods and not having a spare or a file...

Good luck to you and please update when you make a choice..

You sound like an awesome dad. I had to buy my own 290! Keep an eye out because every so often, you can get a free hard case with the 290's. I know I wouldn't sale mine for what I payed for it, I really like that saw. Later they can open the exhaust up, it makes a big difference in these saws.

"My momma told me, you better shop around"

For those of you who don't remember, these are lyrics from, curiously enough, "Shop Around", a 1960 tune by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

So I did, and I hit the mother lode :clap:

I got prices for the 290 from four local dealers. They all gave decent discounts for buying four new saws ranging from $20 off retail for each unit to $30 off. That ain't bad, but all three of the highest prices were within $15 of each other per saw. Then I found a real deal, no. four was $60 per saw cheaper than the lowest of the other three. That's a gap of $240 which is about enough for me to buy myself a Christmas present too and make it five MS 290s:msp_biggrin:

I think, based on another post, that this dealer is selling me the saws at cost, and the only reason I can figure is that Stihl requires a minimum order of 13 units. If this is really a small dealer, the four saws I order might allow him to get the minimum and a shipment for Christmas.

I asked for a price on the 18" bar and .325 pitch, but if that's not a good idea someone chime in.

I can't wait to get the saws and take a group picture of four (maybe five) shiny new Stihls all lined up. Right now I don't have the coin, but I better hurry before they change their mind:wink2:

I was over at the farm today cutting up trees for next winter (thanks to Irene) with my 290 thinking what a great saw this is for what they cost. I have had it for 6 years and never had a problem with it cutting 6 cords a year. You have made a great choice for your boys!

Latest posts

Back