Everyone has a 1st post, this is mine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefmanywrenches

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello folks,

For starters, after several google searches this site kept presenting itself. After reading many posts I figured this would be a community that I would like to be a part of. Long story short, people don't like to read essays on forums here is my intro and I'll try to keep it short.

I actively participate on several forums and understand it is a unique group that appreciates good info and advice but also follow guidelines that are recommended (searching before questioning and such). I am 30, married and have a 6 mo. old. Purchased my 2nd house 2 years ago and have been making it mine (ours) ever since. My hand me down chainsaw from pop is tired after 60+ trees on my dirt and a few years of service on my parents properties and I am ready to move up. I can fix anything, work on anything and would much rather do something myself than pay someone else to do it for me. I am a tinkerer by nature and like to fiddle with things.

Before any purchase I make, I read and read, then search and read some more. I am a Stihl fan and own several of their components, I also understand that there are many brands that are of equal or greater value but I have never been disappointed and believe you get what you pay for. With that being said, I am buying my first Stihl chainsaw. With some experience using and working on them, I have landed on the MS250. I don't want the easy start or quick chain adjuster as those are potential weak spots. I would rather have the larger gas tank and double bar studs with the less restrictive emission carb and such. Either way, I am going to pick it up today. I hope to be an active member and maybe I can answer some questions when needed. Have a good one and thanks for putting up with my long intro.

~Matt

Welcome aboard.

The MS250 is a fine small saw...just don't let it get overzealous with cutting too big a wood. Take care of it, e-free fuel, quality synthetic mix, good bar oil, sharp chains...and it should take care of you for some time.

I'm going to run whatever size bar it comes with. If buying a 6pk of oil extends the warranty by a year I'll definitely get it, along with the hard case that I think is another $50 or so.

Hello chiefmanywrenches, we are in excactly the same boat, except my baby is 10 moths old LOL.... This site is absolutely great for someone that loves saws... I like you have been to this site for years, but just joined a few moths ago.... Hell in just that time I have rebuilt my first ms362!!!... I can tell you from experience that the ms250 is a damn good saw, I have had mine for about 4 years and at one time it was my only saw.... I am in Indiana, and only cut hardwood.... If you keep the chain sharp and the saw clean she will make you a proud owner I promise you that... If you aren't really using the saw every day, it should be fine, however, if you are cutting a lot of stuff around 20" maybe you should think about the ms290 or possibly the ms362, which is a pro saw.... The ms362 I just rebuilt is badass, and the AV is great....

Anyway there are many guys that know a WHOLE lot more than me, so maybe they can help you too.... Welcome to the site and if I can help in anyway please let me know!!!!! Kyle

I'm going to run whatever size bar it comes with. If buying a 6pk of oil extends the warranty by a year I'll definitely get it, along with the hard case that I think is another $50 or so.
They dress'em up here out the door with 18"s on'em. Why, I have no idea. It's much better with a 16". They'll throw in an extra RS chain around here as well and shave a handful of dollars off the carry case. Good luck with it, chime back in with the setup ya end up with.

Thanks for the welcome, I have taken out a pile of trees none of which have been too large by most peoples standards. Mostly cosmetic. I am about to rent a boom lift in the next month or so to trim some very large oaks I have on my property that are close to the house as well as a few trees I have been waiting to deal with. I am not a heavy user but when I get going I like to put in work. For my use the 250 should serve me well. I am anal about keeping my tools clean and maintained so that will never be an issue.

Yes, the ms250 will treat you well then.... Mine wears a 18" B&C, and I use RM chain as I am in hard and dirty timber a lot.... You can always get the saw with the 18" bar and buy a 16" bar also... That way if you do need the bigger bar you will have it.... I would also do a muffler modification on the say as soon as the warranty is up... I did and it wakes the saw up alittle for sure... Just be aware that when and if you do the MM, you will need to shave the stop off of the H idle screw so you can make the saw run just a hair richer!!!!

Welcome Matt
This site and others are the place to ask and learn about many types of saws. There is a abundance of information and experience here.
no question here is dumb, maybe some of the answers you get, and there is all ways some ribbing going on so jump in with both feet and make sure you have been vaccinated for CAD:chainsaw:

Welcome!

I'm not in the know when it comes to some of Stihl's smaller saws, but I thought the ms250 has been replaced with the ms251. I've worked on both recently, the ms250 is in fact a good little saw, however the ms251 is more modern, and definitely has a bit more power and being a strato engine, the saw Will use less fuel. So I'd give the ms251 a look when you're at the dealer.

Make sure to buy some proper safety apparel as well, specifically chainsaw protective chaps.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Welcome!

I'm not in the know when it comes to some of Stihl's smaller saws, but I thought the ms250 has been replaced with the ms251. I've worked on both recently, the ms250 is in fact a good little saw, however the ms251 is more modern, and definitely has a bit more power and being a strato engine, the saw Will use less fuel. So I'd give the ms251 a look when you're at the dealer.

Make sure to buy some proper safety apparel as well, specifically chainsaw protective chaps.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Actually, from what I have read, the 250 is slightly more powerful (3hp vs 2.95). The 251 is more modern and has a few little gizmos but I like old school. The main reason I got the 250 is for the 2 bar studs instead of just one and the side chain adjust. Stihl will be phasing out the 250 eventually but not yet.

Congrats. I often suggest the 250 as a good saw for the money. Repeat ethonol free fuel and good synthetic. Or use motomix or Trufuel if you aren't cutting a lot. Pick up an extra chain or two so you can change out when starts to dull. Recommend RM yellow. Learn to hand file. A lot of youtube.
Post when you get a chance.

LoveStihlQuality

I also like the RM chain, but I do cut hardwood...wow only one bar nut on the new ms251, sounds wierd to me....... I can say this, I have a ms250, ms290, ms362, and a brand new ms461, and I still love using my ms250 when I am limbing or cutting wood up to 10" or so diameter......I know that it is not a pro saw, but I will promise you that she will make you happy if you just show her alittle love here and there....I will say what a shame if they discontinue the ms250!!!!!!

Actually, from what I have read, the 250 is slightly more powerful (3hp vs 2.95). The 251 is more modern and has a few little gizmos but I like old school. The main reason I got the 250 is for the 2 bar studs instead of just one and the side chain adjust. Stihl will be phasing out the 250 eventually but not yet.
If you look at the KW both say 2.2 the 251 has more grunt. The air filter on the 251 is much better, it also has smoother AV.

With that said, you're going to like your new saw. My best advice is to learn how, and when to properly sharpen the chain. That's the main issue people have, even those who've been running saw for decades. Now that you have the saw you want, do research on proper saw care, especially chain maintenance.

Back