Everything came together today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry G.

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Decided this winter to sell firewood on the side for extra cash. (Sold enough loads to pay for the splitter, the husky, and misc chains and cable).
Found a new 22 ton splitter cheap ($450), and realized my dads old Mac SP-81 and 20 year old Homelite 12" saw wasnt going to cut it as I needed a lighter medium grade saw I could work alot and didnt want to ruin my old mans Mac, so I bought a Husky 455 new $400 bucks at Lowes. I was comfortable using a chain saw but still a rookie no doubt.
Over the last couple months got a new 28" bar and Carlton chain for the SP-81, rebuilt the clutch and cleaned it up nice, and got two 2 Stihl chisel chains for the oregon 20" bar I already had. Through trail and error realized old files and no technique dont get chains sharp. Bought a filing guide and ditched the sub-par safety chain that came on the Husky. Read lots of threads and posts here about saw maintenance, chain sharpening, got some sharp files and a guide and learned how to properly sharpen a chain. Bought 2 Carton chisel chains for the Husky and threw the safety chain in the trash after realizing what a POS it was.
So today went to a spot on the highway where the highway dept here in Kalifornia has left some huge Eucalyptus trunks on the side of the road that I had been cutting pieces off over the last couple months. For you right coasters Eucalyptus is very hard wood, and after sitting out for about a year, was really hard although still moist in the center. Hard as oak if not harder. I got a system down where I would cut off slices with the Mac, then rip them into chunks with the Husky. Today both saws with sharp chains and I were like a well oiled machine, very satisfying. I pulled out the smaller log that was about 36-40" in diameter with a cable and my truck and went to town. I went back n forth with the Mac as the 28" bar could not make it through completely, but by switching from side to side constantly was able to make clean cuts right through without wandering and wasting time. When I got near the bottom, I hammered a wedge in the top and made sure not to touch dirt with the chain. Patience and carefull cutting let me finish without having to touch up either chain with a file. Both saws rocked. I know many people talk about this saw and that saw are the best, and I know my Husky and 33 year old Mac are not pro saws but today they just flat kicked ass. Some pics:

Picture175.jpg

Sun just came up great looking day.
This piece measured 7 feet across at the base..I'm guessing at least 100 years old. Not gonna attack this one today, need a game plan for it...

Picture176.jpg

Gonna go after the 36" piece next to it...

Picture177.jpg

Used a cable yanked it out a ways so I could get at both sides...

Picture178.jpg

Got it out now I can get to work. Used the Mac to cut off slices, Husky to rip them into blocks.
Picture179.jpg

First slice came out nice.
Picture180.jpg

Blocks are stacking up. Running the Husky at 40:1, HS screw set to full open, runnning good. Probably needs another turn out but the smog police screwed me on that.
Picture181.jpg

Blocks stacking up. Each piece was about 2/3 the density of concrete no kidding, between 40-80 lbs per block.
Picture182.jpg

Trucks full, my back is screaming and time to go home. Both saws ran great, I just held them they did the work. I LOVE Carlton chisel chain. Time for lunch and nap, then back to work graveyard shift. I'm still a rookie at this stuff but after today feel like an advanced rookie. Total haul around 1500-2000 lbs of blocks. This winter it will mix nicely with the pine I cut from a USFS permit and and hopefully make for a Merry Christmas $$$.

Last edited:
Nice find, wood like that doesnt sit by the road long enough to get dry around here:chainsaw:

Those are some nice blocks you've cut there! That stuff will kick some decent heat this winter once seasoned. Wish we had more big trees like that just hanging out on the side of the road round here!

Regards Paul.

Nice looking wood and good score. Stuff like that would last maybe a day round these parts! Nice looking Mac too. Looks like it's cutting just fine. By the way, you can get your huskie a turn richer by clipping the tabs or wiggling it (gently) past the stops for another turn of adjustment.

I tried to figure out how to get the adjusters off, if someone has a few pics to guide me I would appreciate it, it looks like they are built right into the body of the carb. I checked the plug it is very slightly tan on one side and more tan on the other. I would rather be a closer to a medium brown....I dont care about voiding the warranty I want to saw to run right I will do any repairs should they occur...the saw will likely last longer running cooler and richer....but it would be an nice excuse to pick up a 372xp or larger Husky!

What are roller bars?

And I'm going back tomorrow morning to get another load. I'm going keep hitting that thing until theres nothing left. I kinda wish I had a newer big saw that could pull a 36" bar, but the Mac seems to pull awesome, I just dont want to wear it out its been in the family since new, 1976.

Last edited:
some bars have a roller on the nose of them to guide the chain

they're ok, but won't get more then a handful of hours out of them if you do much nose cutting....

chain will follow around, and the 'transition' from the roller to the bar will start to flare....

Ok maybe Im confused. Both the new Husky and NOS Mac bar have sprockets in the tip. So is that what you mean by rollers? I thought almost all bars had those. What difference would it make to turn the bars around? The Husky manual even says to rotate the bar for even wear......
And by cutting with the nose you mean plunging the tip of the bar into a log or just using the tip for trimming off limbs, etc.?

yah, sprocket, roller.....

naw, it'd be the same if you flipped it over.

and yeah, nose cutting, using only the end

it pushes the chain into the bar just after the roller on the return, and it'll flare the bar

reason i buy the ultra cheap bars...just my way of doing things though.

Flipping the bar is the accepted method of keeping the wear running evenly on the bar.

Putting the chain on backwards IS NOT !
How did you know?! :D
Yes today I flipped the bars back. Finished off the small log, but had to buzz some side pieces off to be able to get the Mac bar through from both sides, it got over 5' wide. Ended up with even more than 2 days ago.

Wood001.jpg

Lifting these slices to rip them into blocks was the hardest part of day, they were between 200- 300 lbs each.
Wood002.jpg

Wood003.jpg

Worth every strained muscle. I personally dont like eucalyptus that much although it is super burning wood when seasoned properly. Give me oak or almond any day, but customers like it and thats what counts. Oak burning in the woodstove at X-mas is the smell I love.
Change.jpg

Yes my bumper stickers fianlly arrived.
Another good day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back