Evolution of a Log Pile (Pic Heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lotta work, great stash! Plus you are sharing the wealth, helping to support fellow wood cutters.

Hey, you got some of that white dirt I see some of the other fellahs posting pics of. Man, that's neat stuff, the dirt is red here ;)

It has been awhile since I cut from log loads ... about how many hours per cord or truckload do you think it takes you ?

Thanks

O' Boy...Gonna make me do some math, eh? Well, it took me a total of 20 days from delivery to finish on this load of 8 cord. Take away two days for snow storms and another two days when my Mother in Law visited...So, what's that, 16 days of work? I worked an average of three hours per day cutting and three hours per day splitting. So, that's 48 hours for the load or 6 hours per cord.

Now, my operation isn't what you would consider efficient...at all. On cutting day, my ritual is something like this: Cut three-five 8' logs in to 24" pieces. Turn off saw. Pick up logs so they don't become tripping/kick back hazards and place them in a pile. Re-start saw...Repeat. On splitting day: Pick up log from pile. Place log on splitter. Throw splits in to wheel barrow. When wheel barrow is full, throttle down splitter. Walk wheel barrow to pile. Pile splits. Walk back to splitter, reposition wheel barrow, throttle up splitter. Repeat.

So, what I'm getting at is that there are a LOT of ways to add efficiency to this equation thereby reducing the number of hours per cord. Off the top of my head, I wish I could find a way to handle the wood less, move it a shorter distance...and it sure would be nice to have a helper! If I could do any ONE of these or a combination thereof, I'm sure I could cut my time in half or even less.

Nice pics J1M, That has to be a good feeling to have all that wood stacked up. Last month I received two 4 cord loads of oak logs and had each load done up within a few days of each other. Something about having a nice load of logs to play with is my way of relaxing and a great stress reliever. I like nothing more then to feel that saw slice through them logs and watch those chips pile up around my feet. Anyway you look at it, that’s a lot of wood in those piles and a real sense of accomplishment.

Back