Expensive Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ETpilot

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
Yesterday I decided to work on a red oak that has been on the ground a while. The day was good with a gentle breeze. So, I went to my Honda 300 and started the engine. Well, the engine started and died but the starter stuck in the on position. I ran to the shop to get a screwdriver to disconnect the battery before the motor burned up. That done, will troubleshoot later, I went to Plan B.

I would take my tools and supplies in the tractor with FEL n brush hog. Besides, I figured, I would brush hog some access to the tree. At the tree, I decided that I would leave the tools n supplies in the FEL while I brush cut the area a bit. Bad Decision. As I was backing and cutting I did not notice that my Stihl pole pruner had struck something and had been knocked off the FEL. I then started brush cutting forward and heard a loud bang. Looking down I saw the power head going under the wheel and into the brush hog. Loud noise resulted. I move forward raised the deck and looked back. Now a fire had started. The gentle breeze was slowly spreading the fire. I had to put the brush hog over the fire to contain it. I would do this then move forward to check the fire and it would restart. So I would back into the fire again. I could not let this fire get out of control. As I was doing this, I could hear the pruner getting cut up.

Finally after a while I got the fire out. The pruner was a sad sight. Pieces all over the place. I have attached a picture that shows what a brush hogged pruner looks like. I went to the Stihl dealer for a replacement; $650.00. They were to get a shipment in yesterday but it did not arrive. I called today and was told due to the hurricane they believe supplies may be going to the Hurricane Isaac affected areas. They would call me if a pruner arrived today.

After Plan B, I went to Plan C, trying out a limb holder I made for cutting up those irregular limbs. I spent the rest of the day cutting limbs.

I still have to check my Honda to see what the problem is there.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
You can rebuild it! On second thought, maybe have it stuffed and mounted.....

250661d1346338937-img_0641-jpg

Denis Gionet

Denis Gionet

ArboristSite Operative
On the bright side..........the fire didn't spread and cause more than $650 damage to the surrounding area

Thats ugly but, sure beats a brush fire!

^
I was gonna say that myself...... not to mention burning down the brush hog .....

You can rebuild it! On second thought, maybe have it stuffed and mounted.....

I'm just about sure that there are a few pieces that are MIA, like the flywheel nut for one...

250661d1346338937-img_0641-jpg

And here I was feeling all sorry for myself because I had to fix the boss's son's pickup, which broke due to the kids' negligent behavior. Maybe he doesn't know that they build quads to climb gravel pits .....

On the bright side, there's a damn good chance that tomorrow will be better. A little :msp_smile: for your bad day .

artbaldoni
Reminds me of a guy who worked for me. We had a tractor mounted PTO chipper, a big one, 8" limbs weren't a problem. He decided to load everything into the chipper to carry it to the tree. Can you guess yet? Yup, got to the tree, fired up the chipper and chipped a nearly new 036 and a can of mix! Wish I had pictures...:dizzy:

howellhandmade

howellhandmade

Addicted to ArboristSite
Who are you and what have you done with Avalancher?? Twin brother?

I was wondering about Avalancher myself -- I looked up his posts and he was on the OT forum about a month ago. The story does have some of the essential elements of an Avalancher story: destruction and panic. But it's missing a page of plot development and some third character like a 110-year-old customer or a rabid squirrel.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Some assembly required......

Man, some things are just so bad you gotta laugh at them. Tomorrow's gotta be better.

Latest posts