experts, please help me cut these trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wideopen is here, how yall been anyway?

Hope you guys didnt miss me too much. Had a little accident, shin injury, [is that right spelling, anyways, shin as in lower leg shin :}] My right hand/ knuckle area got a lil banged up too. Couldnt surf the web for a while, and after that, I had another, important project concerning my home I had to handle. NOW, Im back at the tree limb roof threat problem and want to know PLEASE, where to obtain a "pole saw". I saw an old man, taking limbs down, and the situation looked very similar to mine, except for the fact that the roof is slightly in the way of the limb if it were to be cut.
Oh yeah, guys, when I reread my posts, I really should not have been rushing when I wrote it huh? And those pics, they really do not show or give a full visualization of what the scene was like, all around.... I can take new pics with my brothers new digital camera he exchanged for the crappie one that took those 2 pics that I posted......
I also want to know how to really tell if my 2 trees are dead, or what! Different peaple tell me different things. Its dead, its not, But I look up now and there is new growth, flowering growth on the trees. Not to mention, someone told me that there dead because of these huge black, almost "robotic" looking beatles that invade the grounds [these things look scary and can fly a bit, average about an inch and a half long, and I learned that they come from the ground, and live in the dirt] eating the trees roots.
Is that even possible? I am not joking and if worst comes to worst will take a pic of these things when I can for the non believers.
I dont know how to tell if the tree dead or not. And even if it were close to death, is there a way to revive them? If its the pests, what do you do to kill these robot beatle pests?
Where do I start "experts?" lol
David, hurtin badly :{

trolling?

What the heck is trolling anyway guys??

David

"Together we stand, Divided we Fall."

I cannot tell if you are just pulling our legs or if you are truly that ignorant. If you simply do not know any better, read this thread
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8545
and then call a tree guy to look at your trees.

Why do people think that the ability to buy a chainsaw at Home Depot gives them the necessary qualifications to climb trees and perform removals over houses and power lines? :confused: If you insist on attempting this work without any knowledge of safe working practices, please submit your name and address to www.darwinawards.com so they can have someone standing by to document your death and present your widow with the appropriate award on your behalf.

Re: wideopen is here, how yall been anyway?

Originally posted by wideopen
what do you do to kill these robot beatle pests?
Where do I start "experts?" lol
David, hurtin badly :{

To kill a pest, you should understand what it is and learn about it.

Some pests shouldn't be killed.

Also you should hire in a licensed person to do it for you if you haven't got one of those licenses to apply pesticides.

You tree experts are brutal! When a person asks for advice you can use your professional knowledge in voicing your concerns about a certain situation. This would be far more helpful, than immediately infering that someone is a clueless "homeowner". Voice your knowlege on a situation and the reasons why a professional should do the job. Most people are "homeowners" and while there specific skill might not be tree removal a little sharing of knowledge and insite might be quite helpful.

Some of us may sound brutal, but this guy indicated in his first post that he is in no way qualified to remove these limbs safely. Most guys here have seen more than enough injuries and even deaths from people like this attempting stupid and dangerous feats. No one here wishes for this man to injure himself attempting something he read here. Guys like this are why we pay so much for insurance.
If you think we are too brutal, then YOU tell him how to cut off the limbs. Then it can be on YOUR conscience when you read about him in the newspaper. :(

Wideopen,
I'm not the first guy to ask you this, but please live up to your name.
Grab the yellow pages, get a couple QUALIFIED (adequately trained, sufficiently experienced, and suitably(sp?) equipped) arborists to give you a quote. If these trees are menacing your house the way you say they are, the time that has passed since your original post is more time than I would want to live under them. TC165 has hit the nail on the head. We on this site have about as much chance of giving you fool-proof instructions to get these trees/limbs down with no adverse affect to life, limb or property as a pilot has talking down an inexperienced passenger who wants to land his own plane to save on the cost of a pilot:confused: .
To top it off, if you try it and fail, you personally contribute to our industry accident stats! If your potential pain and suffering isn't enough to dissuade you, think of the people trying to help you.

In my definition of qualified I left out insured. You should not.

PS, your apparent unwillingness to listen to the advice of people you refer to as expert places you in the unenviable position of having been forewarned of a hazard. I am an ISA Certified Arborist and ISA Certified Tree worker, with over ten years of experience, and, in my opinion, the trees as described by you, and/or the work proposed may indeed present significant risk of damage or injury and requires further assessment by a qualified arborist. Now that you have been told.... again... what a bad idea this sounds like, are you certain that your insurance will cover the tab for your roof? your casts and stitches? your time off work spent under your now leaky roof? Due dilligence suggests not.
A different offer. Get a work permit, come to Alberta, spend the season working with us. I guarantee that by the end of the season (if you make it that long) you will have the requisite skills and knowledge to assess the risks and determine from an informed vantage point whether you want to tackle the job. You may or may not be up to the job (probably not, if you don't display better listening skills), but you will know what it will take. If you can last till the end of the season (October), and I don't feel that you can assess the tree competently, I will come down and blow off the limbs myself.:D

Read almost any other thread you like, and you will see that most on this site are generous with knowledge, tips, and techniques. Spreading it around can only advance our industry. You have seen dissenting opinions relating to the tone of the various replies, but no takers on your request for online removal lessons. Why? Get smart! We are trying to help you.

One man's (over long) opinion.

Codie

hey guys!

Man, I was just joking about hurting myself, just wanted to see if anyone got really crazy. Its against all odds, but I was so happy to see a fella posting a message about exactly how I feel, my 2 cents, "enough said!" And I must not forget a true, "thankyou." I also apologize to the ones that were really concerned about me being "hurt", if there was any. You guys had me going crazy for a second. But its funny to me how some peaple are. Thats why I gave up and forgot about this site, even had a hard time remembering the password. But I dont even know why I waste my time speaking the truth and talkin sh t to you mvp's. Atleast no one was happy to hear that I was hurt, I REALLY expected posts like that. I still want to post, if thats cool with the bosses here. I have a pics and want realistic advise to my questions, I already heard the ones about hiring arborists like you to break my families bank account and savings. Mr. Rooter tried to come through and ask for 4 hundred something to fix our shower backup in the other garage room. If the kitchen sink, the garage rooms kitchen and bathrooms sink would turn on, the water would just end up filling up the garage room shower!! So A friend came through, [thank the almighty for "friends"] with a 75 ft. snake and cleared it out. Wanna know what the snake pulled out? ROOTS! Plumbing can get pretty crazy Im tellin ya, its almost as hectic as electrical. Now I dont know if I should just prune the tree, or actually go about slowly killing the tree. Man I have so many questions, simple ones too, that you guys could help with, but you refuse to and just give me problems and the same answer. Im not stoopid, OR IGNORANT Its not fair, and I think you should apply your energy and positivity in your replies to my threads, please friends dont even waste your time with a reply that has been pretty much the same to the others.

TELL ME SOMETHING I DONT KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats how you mvps can get to my head, alright? I respect all me elders, even the ???????s. Maybe I forgot to say that if I were to get hurt because I attempted to do something someone suggested I try, I wouldnt even think about blaming that person or persons for that! Not to mention that the person must not carry any type of burden on his shoulders if anything were to happen. You men know the rules, dont be babies about my posts please. It wouldnt be your fault, it would be mine you idiot, and in my head, if anything brutal did come up, Im the type to stress myself out and tell myself over and over again, "you idiot, look at your self now" when blunders happen. No way, if anything, a "thankyou" for even trying to help a guy out.

No I did not get it at homedepot for 3 hundred something, I got it from an older itallian man through the classifieds ad in the paper for 140, or was it 150- lets just say 150 just to be safe, and it was never fired up. No carbon in the can! Yeah. I cant spend that much on a new Echo, no way buddy. :}

Hey, no hard feelings right guys??? Ill get those picks posted asa I can. So what does "trolling" mean any way? Well, I dont think that was the case bud. Relax. It just me. L.o.L.

"Happy Easter to the whole world" ha Ha wooh.

From a different kindof expert

Howdy,
I replied earlier in this forum. I consider myself a land clearing expert and usually don't mind pushing down really big and heavy trees. They usually fall where you want them, however, when there are structures involved you need to hire a climber or bucket expert to piece out the tree. I occasionally have to pay what I think is a lot of money to piece out a single tree. It hurts at first when I get the estimate but it feels good when I see the tree come down and other trees and structures are saved.
It is just reality that there are people trained to do certain tasks better than others. I don't mind sharing information on my line of expertise and do that regularly as emails come in from my website, however, I am in agreement with others that a forum isn't the place for a "how to" clinic. Just my two cents.
A lot of these guys are real proud of their knowledge and will probably share it but most probably won't share knowledge that will add negative statistics to the industry..

OK wideopen, here we go one more time- I just added on a garage to my house that required reworking the electrical service to the house. Now I can wire up outlets and change light bulbs but I had no hesitation about calling a licensed electrician to do the upgrade on the electric panel (getting zapped is just as dead as tree on head or falling 20'). Does this sound anything at all like your tree problem? I also have enough knowledge to know that the tree roots clogging your drain line were only the secondary problem. The primary problem is that your drain line has been compromised and needs to be fixed i.e. REPLACED! If there is no break/crack/hole in the line then the roots would not have been there. Sorry to keep bursting your "do it your self" bubble but there are just certain areas where qualified people should be used. Attempting anything like what you want done should only be done at the urging of the beneficiary on your life insurance if you still want to do yourself. Just make sure there aren't any witnesses when they tell you to go ahead or they will be heading for the slammer.

"Now I can wire up outlets and change light bulbs but I had no hesitation about calling a licensed electrician to do the upgrade on the electric panel "

As an aside, the reason he only changes bulbs and wires outlets is he found out the hard way he can't correctly wire in lights on a switch....:)

As I recall, with the last installation of this sort, when the vaccum cleaner was run off of a certain outlet, the light came on dimly in the closet.*Grin*

Seriously though, wideopen: Yes, everyone here usually is giving with their thoughts and knowledge on these topics. As someone else pointed out though, you qualified yourself to NOT recieve any of this knowledge with your first post. As I have said previously, I probably have more training and experience in tree climbing and removal than you do. By the pictures you posted, I certainly would not consider doing the work you want to do on my own. By the time that I bought all the gear needed (easily over $700 worth), I could have someone come in and do it for me in a much safer manner most likely for about the same amount.

Here is another suggestion: Contact a certified arborist. Have them come and look at the tree. If they deem it a "hazard tree", get a letter from them stating such, and an estimate on its removal. Take that information to your insurance agent (homeowner's) and see if they will pay for the removal. If it is truly a hazard tree, then chances are it will be cheaper to remove the tree than it will be to replace the roof of your house and repair structural damage from the tree falling on it.

Dan

Back