Exposed tattoos and employment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe I'm starting to see what the real motivation is behind so many's opinion... Money. Wow. o_O
You nailed it. Business is all about money. I can't buy anything with the good feeling it gives me to hire a guy who looks like Darth Maul (sp? That bad guy from Star Wars)

All the negative comments toward tattoos, large gauge earrings, hair styles, ect, just seems to me like just another form of prejudice. It's not socially acceptable anymore for closed minded people to call people of other races derogatory or segregating names sooooooo, guess they gotta have sooooomeone or something to express their ignorance toward eh? It's 2014 man, lotsa stuff had changed. And alot of people have gained interest in lots of once "uncouth" ways of self expression. Who cares? What's the big deal? Other than people just wanting something to be a jerk to someone else about. As far as any of the way a person looks having anything to do with how well they can do a job is seriously ridiculous.
The people that work for me are a direct reflection of my business and myself. By having a customer unhappy and not tell there friends about my business or even worse tell others to stay away from my business because of the guys on my crew, it could potentially be thousands of thousands of dollars lost.

Furthermore when someone goes and gets a face tattoo or big gauged ears, they are taking the chance that someone will discriminate against them, and obviously they didn't care when they did it so don't come crying after someone looks at you funny or doesn't hire you. Every decision in life comes with pros and cons. It's your choose.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The people that work for me are a direct reflection of my business and myself. By having a customer unhappy and not tell there friends about my business or even worse tell others to stay away from my business because of the guys on my crew, it could potentially be thousands of thousands of dollars lost.

Furthermore when someone goes and gets a face tattoo or big gauged ears, they are taking the chance that someone will discriminate against them, and obviously they didn't care when they did it so don't come crying after someone looks at you funny or doesn't hire you. Every decision in life comes with pros and cons. It's your choose.

But... shouldn't the WORK, your crew does for said client do the speaking for your business?

But... shouldn't the WORK, your crew does for said client do the speaking for your business?
It does but when the customer says. They did great work but they looked like a whole crew of ex cons could be where you lose customers.

It's just like I said. Everything you do in life has pros and cons. It is my business and therefor I control who works for me. It would be the same as hiring a women to drag brush. Now don't go get you pantys in a bunch. I don't have a problem hiring a girl but there is no way most girls would be as productive at dragging brush all day as a big line backer looking guy.

It's kinda the same thing as cusing in front of customers during bids. I cuse alot. And I mean a lot but not in front of customers during a bid or on the job. It turns some people off and I could lose money. You have to accommodate your customers.

I dont mind them and kinda been thinking about getting another one. I interviewed a guy last year that had a bunch on his arms and those didnt bother me it was the two lightning bolts on his neck and the tear drop by his eye that sealed the deal.

I dont mind them and kinda been thinking about getting another one. I interviewed a guy last year that had a bunch on his arms and those didnt bother me it was the two lightning bolts on his neck and the tear drop by his eye that sealed the deal.
teardrop by the eye and bolts on the neck I can understand shying away from.

Oh and by the way... "You're not working for the trees" You an arborist or do you just work for Asplundh?
You talking to me? If so I have my own show and never done the line clearance thing.

Prison tats are unacceptable to most people. But artistic tats most people actually like, I started my sleeve 4 yrs ago and was worried what people's reactions would b. Scaring old lady's was not my ambition. My family is ultra conservative to my surprise everybody loved it. Every family get together they always wanted to see how much I got done and commented how good my artist was. The only person who hates it is my wife's grandma and screw her anyway! I really can't remember getting any dirty looks from anyone since I got it and I don't live in California. I think when most people see me doing trees with my tats they say yeah that looks like a tree man. How is it normal for a 40yr old panzy accountant to drive a Harley with straight pipes out to the bars covered with leather like he's some bad ass, but a guy who is a bad ass and does a job that most people can't physically handle can't have a couple tats.

Finally!!! A really good, intelligent reply! Gosh, thanks for that since16! Just as I was bout to lose hope in this thread! :)
Prison tats are unacceptable to most people. But artistic tats most people actually like, I started my sleeve 4 yrs ago and was worried what people's reactions would b. Scaring old lady's was not my ambition. My family is ultra conservative to my surprise everybody loved it. Every family get together they always wanted to see how much I got done and commented how good my artist was. The only person who hates it is my wife's grandma and screw her anyway! I really can't remember getting any dirty looks from anyone since I got it and I don't live in California. I think when most people see me doing trees with my tats they say yeah that looks like a tree man. How is it normal for a 40yr old panzy accountant to drive a Harley with straight pipes out to the bars covered with leather like he's some bad ass, but a guy who is a bad ass and does a job that most people can't physically handle can't have a couple tats.

Hey don't get me wrong man, most of the time facial tattoos and such are a very dumb decision. I agree with you there. Unless youve decided to dedicate your life to being in the body mod industry or are gonna be, hell I dunno a carnie all your life you know? But just cutting people out just for having visible tattoos seems a Lil bit silly to me. If it's like, pot leaves or gang related stuff... Orrrrrrr, like, one real choice tattoo I seen on a fellas neck one time stating "cop hater"... Hell you get my point man. Then yeah, I get it. And I wouldn't want em on my crew either. I guess I'm just trying to say, shouldn't it come down to an actual fair, educated judgement call? Not just a harsh generalization?

:popcorn:
Jeff

Finally!!! A really good, intelligent reply! Gosh, thanks for that since16! Just as I was bout to lose hope in this thread! :)

Hmmm,.. those who agree with you are intelligent. Ipso facto, disagreement proves persons are ________?

I suppose tattooed intolerance of the uninked community is OK these days.

I will try harder to think correctly but some tree customers may be tougher.

The best are the ones with all the facial tats, gauges, nose ring and a mowhawk. Seen a guy with metal fangs implanted on his bottom lip, had blood tattooed around the fangs. Love it when they get upset about people judging them. Kinda like a smoking hot chick wearing booty bottom daisy dukes and a cut off wife beater with no bra walking thru the mall and then getting pissed at the old "perverts" who are checking them out. When ya do that type of "shock" stuff, you are making a statement, and if ya want to do that, then you have no place on my crew. I got tats, u cant see them when I am at work. Some sleeves and such are ok, when they are done by a pro they can be pretty awesome, but when ya have FTW on your arm or some other offensive statement like that, then you deserve the judgment you receive as it is pretty obvious that you had bad judgment when ya did it. Many Marines have tats that are tributes to their fallen brothers. Those are 100% acceptable by most. I have seen the elderly stop and want to see those tats, ask about the fallen. It all depends on the tat, where it is and what the subject is. Tear drop, F the police or SS, no. American flag, EGA, kids birthdate or grandpas likness, yes.

Latest posts

Back