Eye Splices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreEmergencyB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Plan on ordering a new climbing line pretty soon and am getting really tired of tying/untying my term. knots and though about a new line with eyes on both ends. however i was wondering how well an eye goes through a crotch i got lazy a cpl of times and just pulled the clip end up through the tree and got it stuck b4 tryin to pull it out.

and also with a spliced eye fit through a friction saver without problems

and does the eye hole itselft ever get caught on a stub or anything often

thanks

Tight eye splices will change your life. Yes they will fit through a friction saver fine, no they will not get snagged when changing up your tie in point, and in general they make everything quicker and easier.

For example:
Mini carabiner your eye splice directly to your throw line bag on climbing line installs.
Less bulk and better interface for split bridge configurations (ie. hitchclimber pulley).
Much higher strengths retained as a termination of any approved termination knot.

Yes, an eye splice can get caught in a tight crotch. Just not very often.

The only real advantage to tying your knots, rather than using a splice is the ability to change the load bearing surface of the rope. Generally, you are stuck with wherever the 'biner hangs from an eye. It's easy to get complacent, and not inspect your eye, too.

i was thinking an eye on both ends i like to use rope snap and the end of my climbline but that wont work with a small eye anyone use a larger eye and girth hitch a snap to it?

Sure would be quicker on redirects but I still am sticking to knots. Just like the low cost of repair when I accidently nick my rope with a hand saw or something that is sharp and cutting like. You never can tell what stupid thing me or the ground crew could do to a perfectly good rope.

Back