Faller Certification costs in your area?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
just curious as to what people are paying to be certified as a faller, in your respective locations??

here in BC it now costs $9000 (Malaspina College), plus two taxes, plus supplies, plus living/food expenses while on the course, plus you have to work an additional year with a logging company, plus the Worksafe BC exam fees (aprrox $300). Works out to around $15000 (CDN) with all expenses (fuel or bus fare, food, living arrangements, course fees, supplies, taxes ect ect etc etc etc) :(

there was a 'grandfather" clause, but that has now expired, although current fallers can simply challenge the exam...but for people new to the industry its just brutal the amount of money that is required. Also there is only one location to take the course, it means picking up and moving up for up to a year, with no gaurantee of a job afterwards.

curious what the rest of the globe pays??

Last edited:
illinois

here in illinois a no certification is required, i have worked for several outfits and never have had to have anything, the only thing that we have to have is on government and mine property workers have to take 3 days of safety classes and a one day refresher course each year, i think it costs $125 or 150. these classes are a joke because most of the people that teach them have never worked in the woods, but that is an entire other story. but no faller certification is required

certification fees

Well, that's a way to stop logging I hadn't thought of.

Perhaps a special logger tax on every saw purchased and logger gas tax and why not? a logger beer tax.

If you have to be rich to be a logger, pretty soon it'll be like tennis, sailing and golf. Only the privileged few.

Down the Coast, in Oregon, no certification required nor taxes applied.
We do treat our loggers like doggie do do in the press.
Hurts their self esteem. Poor souls.

I realize that this isn't that funny so I'll just shut up.

In NH we have a voluntary certification program. Four courses at $75.00 each. After you're certified, you have to continue taking courses at a rate of around one or two a year.

Actually the Faller Certification course here in BC has generally be considered a positive move. My dad is a faller so I've heard a lot about it.

It is expensive to take the course, but no more expensive then going to University/College or a Trade school to become skilled in another job. Many of the fallers here welcomed it as it gives them something to go to employers with to demand better wages. Fallers aren't making much more now then they were in the 80s. Also, it hopefully will help with the injury/fatality rate in the industry. I grew up in a small logging town and over half of the guys I went to school with who became loggers are dead or disabled.

oh i agree that the course was much needed....BC had a VERY high death rate in the woods......its just impossible for many of us who are considering a move in that direction (forestry/faller etc), to afford it. Thats more than a years wage (after taxes) for me. For a person that cannot get a student loan, and has 20 bucks in his pocket, it prevents myself and a lot of people I think from being able to do that kind of work.

I got buddies that did'nt pay that much (75% less in fact) for 4 years of trade school.....If i took the Fallers course, i would still ahve to fork out another $10,000 plus on top of the $9,000 (plus anohter $5000 for expenses (living) for the forestry and silviculture courses...who can honestly say they can afford that? NO ONE.

Last edited:
While I understand what you are saying about affordibility, most serious careers these days require some sort of education and that costs money. Lots of it.

Part of the problem with the logging industry IS that just anyone can walk into it with little to no experience if they have someone willing to break them in. Problem is, who's to say that the person breaking them is a good faller? Luck of the draw.

Most people have to put some kind of investment into their careers - whether it's money or time. If a person is unwilling or unable to do so then perhps that's not the job for them. Usually if a person is committed enough they can make it work. Point in case - those falling certification courses are full, so it doesn't seem to be stopping people from entering the industry, just like spending 75,000 - 100,000 grand to become a doctor or lawyer doesn't stop people from doing that. It's all choices.

great Post LW, and i get what your saying. I'm just a bit overwhelmed with the costs, thats all.....:( I'm branching out into other areas of chainsaw use as a result. (namely milling timbers , log salvage etc)

yes it cost a lot of money but those with the experience could challenge the test or were grandfathered In. This process helped remove some people from the industry who should not of been there for certain reasons :greenchainsaw:

in production logging there is no room for mistakes

The intent behind the new faller certification program is to ensure only qualified fallers are cutting. By ensuring that all active, certified fallers meet the same standard, they can weed out the unsafe guys, and ensure new fallers are adequately trained. This standard was developed by fallers for fallers, based upon known safe working practices.

The unfortunate side affect is that at present, it has greatly increased the cost of training new fallers. This is mostly due to it being new and under implementation. The plan over the next few years as I understand it, is to get away from this current centralized, costly training program, once a network of qualified instructors has been built back up. Once that has happened, the intent is for industry to train their own fallers locally, at much lower cost. Until that happens, it certainly is a disincentive to becoming a faller here.

The intent behind the new faller certification program is to ensure only qualified fallers are cutting. By ensuring that all active, certified fallers meet the same standard, they can weed out the unsafe guys, and ensure new fallers are adequately trained. This standard was developed by fallers for fallers, based upon known safe working practices.

The unfortunate side affect is that at present, it has greatly increased the cost of training new fallers. This is mostly due to it being new and under implementation. The plan over the next few years as I understand it, is to get away from this current centralized, costly training program, once a network of qualified instructors has been built back up. Once that has happened, the intent is for industry to train their own fallers locally, at much lower cost. Until that happens, it certainly is a disincentive to becoming a faller here.

and i FULLY APPLAUD the move to do this!. Its not the program, i would LOVE to take it, its the COST that floors me. I cant afford a years wage for school, heck i cant afford to put gas in my truck...lol

Wow That's Crazy

Out here in CA there is no certification B.S., you work your way up the ranks starting out as a choker setter, after years of learning the trade ,while making money to support your family you might get a chance to break in cutting! If I had to spend thousands and go to school I would do it to learn a more lucrative trade! Around here you can't get people to even apply for logging jobs, because the younger generations are to lazy! If we make it more difficult to work in the woods we might as well bag it! At least we would'nt have so many work related injuries if we were all on welfare!

JUST THE OPINION OF ONE DIRT EATING LOGGER!!!!!

After your fork out the dollars for this course, what kind of money can you make as a faller in BC? I am a certified Auto mechanic, and it cost me far less than this to become cerfified. In fact it only cost the price of books for shcool, and some lost wages when I was in school, it was goverment sponsered when I did it, now it has changed, and they have pretty much got rid of the Government Apprentice program.

After your fork out the dollars for this course, what kind of money can you make as a faller in BC? I am a certified Auto mechanic, and it cost me far less than this to become cerfified. In fact it only cost the price of books for shcool, and some lost wages when I was in school, it was goverment sponsered when I did it, now it has changed, and they have pretty much got rid of the Government Apprentice program.

Roughly $60/hr.

In the neighbourhood of $360-$400/ day. 6 or 6.5 hr work day (legislated by WCB, that fallers can only be engaged in active falling including breaks, fuel stops etc for 6 hrs/day). Then there's the factor that many do not work 12 months of the year.

Fallers can make very good money when they're working, but with the cost to get in, the dangerous nature of the job, and the potential volatility of the industry right now, it's going to become tough to find fallers here.

The new certification standard and uniform training requirements are a good thing, the cost and the centralization that requires new fallers to uproot for a year, is not conducive to recruiting new fallers though.

Yes I agree, kinda hard to shell out that kind of $$$ and then have to move away for a year, although Im not too far from malaspina college, about 1hr 45min drive on a good day. But Im not interested in becomming a faller, since I am already certified in one trade. I would of liked to be involved in the forestry trade but never got into it, some of my family was heavily involved in the forestry trade on Vancouver Island.

Certification B.S.

Thank God there is still some common sense in the Alaska Logging industry. A faller is hired on the basis of what he can actually do, as opposed to wiping his a___ with some certificate! I've seen "greenies" come up here that lied about their experience, and after 1 day are sent on the next plane out of camp. The Bullbuck watches you the first day - and instantly it is apparent whether you know what you're doing or not. Currently, I have so many da__ certificates I don't know what to do with. Bum fodder, I guess... John Paul Ghetty stated back in the 60's that there would come a day that we would need a certificate to blow our nose. I guess he was right! What happened to common sense?

Well Put Timber Beast

Very well put indeed, Timber beast. People dont understand how it is out in the woods with real loggers, they are tough and crude, a special breed of man that sometimes cant fit in a normal society work place! The kind guys that close down the bar friday night and still show up on time to bust their a@# all day on saturday hung over! Real loggers (that don't need certification!) are a dying breed!

"IF LOGGING WAS EASY THERE WOULD BE A BUNCH OF WOMEN AND KIDS OUT HERE DOING IT"

then by all means come up to BC and try your hand at falling 60 inch + trees on a 30 to 60+ degree slope

this is why we have a course to train our current and future fallers

quote red wood

they are tough and crude, a special breed of man that sometimes cant fit in a normal society work place! The kind guys that close down the bar friday night and still show up on time to bust their a@# all day on saturday hung over! Real loggers (that don't need certification!) are a dying breed!

only in your part of the world red wood

Latest posts

Back