Faller Certification costs in your area?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rookies

Look, if you can handle yourself in the woods, passing a written test and field test is no big deal.

Simple system:
Education
Testing
Certification
Bull Buck STILL fires you if you ain't got it.

The reason for the testing is to lower, not raise , injury rates.

There isn't a problem here except costs. Actually, when compared with workmans comp .......
If your outfit has never had a fatality or serious injury, OK, you've got an argument the other way.

If you've had a new guy show up and he was all educated but didn't have any woods skills and got hisself hurt or was breaking up timber.

FIRE THE BULL BUCK and the new guy. I agree with "The Bullbuck watches you the first day - and instantly it is apparent whether you know what you're doing or not." In most instances you can watch a guy 15 minutes and have him figured out.

west coast logging

It was a locus of crazy,wild industrial activity,a business carried on by shouting young men with nails in their boot soles,who traveled like smoke among crashing trees,dancing in a mechanical ballet whose accompaniment was the shrill music of shrieking steam whistles and the chugging of powerful engines.Civilization never before saw the likes of west coast logging.Only war compares to it. (old west coast logger)

then by all means come up to BC and try your hand at falling 60 inch + trees on a 30 to 60+ degree slope

this is why we have a course to train our current and future fallers

quote red wood

they are tough and crude, a special breed of man that sometimes cant fit in a normal society work place! The kind guys that close down the bar friday night and still show up on time to bust their a@# all day on saturday hung over! Real loggers (that don't need certification!) are a dying breed!

only in your part of the world red wood

Timberfalling is no different down here. Big and steep. It's cool to love your country and its way's - but just because YOUR COUNTRY makes you have a CERTIFICATE does not mean you or your wood is any better.
C'mon down to N. Cali. and I'll show exactly what I am talking about.

B.C. logging

Wow! Randy, aggresive opinion! I love it though! I could'nt put it any better than that! As for those 60+ inch trees, I've had to spend a couple of hours in my climbing spurs hanging blocks and riggin up in trees like that! (with no certificate) After that, falling one, on any ground seems so easy you feel guilty getting paid for it! Some day I hope to get up to B.C. some day and check things out, after all i'm half Canadian! not to mention my favorite old saws were built there!:cheers:

Timberfalling is no different down here. Big and steep. It's cool to love your country and its way's - but just because YOUR COUNTRY makes you have a CERTIFICATE does not mean you or your wood is any better.
C'mon down to N. Cali. and I'll show exactly what I am talking about.

I apologize
I should have worded it differently

this is basically what I was trying to say

TREE DIAMETER
up to 20” = level 1
up to 28” = level 2
up to 36” = level 3
up to 60” = level 4
over 60” = level 5
DEGREE OF SLOPE
up to 30% = level A
up to 60% = level B
60% and over = level C
Examples:
If a participant falls & bucks trees up to 20” diameter on a
slope 30% or less, the qualification level awarded is 1A
If a participant falls & bucks trees up to 36” diameter on a
slope up to 60%, the qualification level awarded is 3B
If a participant falls & bucks trees over 60” diameter on a
slope greater than 60%, the qualification level awarded is 5C

my little sarcastic "only in your world '' didn't come across as a joke so I will extend a apology to redwood , the logging that happens from Alaska through BC and down to California is no different.

hey Randy no worries :cheers:

heres a good example of a typical logging crew going at each others necks but at the end of the day its all good.

enemy's in the morning and buddys at the end of the day

:cheers:

Back