Fallers Perspective on Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run both husky and stihl, but im not a faller any more and havent been for some years. I'm a climber/tree service. We run about a dozen saws most times, mainly stihl though. In general the huskies are higher revving/formula 1 style saws that rev high and they're a little cheaper to buy. They don't last as long but the younger guys seem to prefer them. The stihls are more like V8's, more reliable, last longer and more torque, more power lower in the rev band which for me makes for a better work saw in big wood.

I've got a few 441cms and they've been very reliable. We get about 2 years out of them with hard daily use. They go great with the stihl ES lite bars. People balk at the price but those bars are so durable, and over the life of the bar it adds very little to the cost of use. 28" ES lite balances real nice on a 441cm. I've got one that hunts for no reason. the other two have always run fine.

660 is a real work horse but not that nice of a saw to fall with day in day out. 32" ES lite balances real nice on it, 36"ES lite a little less sweet but still a whole lot nicer than a stock bar.

390 and 395 are both great strong saws but not as long lasting as the stihls.

whatever saw you get, port it for sure. Randy (mastermind) does the strongest 660 I've ever had, and I've had a few. I've not had one from treeslingr though.

Either way, the better cutter with the sharpest chain is going to win the day, not the better saw.

I fill 'em with pump gas and mix. They are great to take into the woods.

I stole Bitzer's idea of hanging some camp fuel bottles off my work belt. I can leave the truck with 2 1/2 tanks of fuel total and just keep going. I love it!

except now I have to pull my pants up more, may have to get suspenders :rolleyes:

No spenders and your under pants will be jacked up in a hurry.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Spent the morning topping, bucking, and skidding the mother of all water oaks. Used the 288, as it's about the smallest saw I own which isn't in pieces. The oak was a flood victim and was tangled with a holly it crushed on the way down. It was kinda a mess, and I wound up boring many of the bucking cuts as I was having a hard time reading the tension. That being said, with a 28" bar, that saw is surprisingly nimble for 88cc's. I'm also old enough to be Colton's grand-pappy, Bitzer's dad, and Handsome Mike's older brother, so my back will not be happy tomorrow.
pft

but i spent all my money on the 661:(

I was sick and almost threw up for 3 hrs after I bought it because I already can't afford it.

But yes a ported 288 would be nice.

sounds like its time for another one bitz.
Thats what my wife thinks. My little guy is turning three in a couple of weeks and thats been the pattern every 3 years. Too bad this last time she demanded I get snipped. We were done then she says. I wasn't so sure. Turned out I was right. My uncle has a saying about women, " ya can't live with em and ya can't live with em."

Latest posts

Back