Fallers Perspective on Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree but I'm not wiping it's ass like baby. I treat it with respect. Just because I don't clean it off everyday or every so often isn't going to make any less dependable. Let it lay in the bed of your truck if you want to talk about mistreatment and premature wear and abuse.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree but I'm not wiping it's ass like baby. I treat it with respect. Just because I don't clean it off everyday or every so often isn't going to make any less dependable. Let it lay in the bed of your truck if you want to talk about mistreatment and premature wear and abuse.

yup! you are right... I don't change my oil every 100 miles either.. lol but I do use the big can of "A-1-R" on the saw's every few days as needed! lol a clean saw is easier to deal with in the field if it's not choked with a months oil and dirt plus the chips .

I had the top cover off my 661 today because I made a hasty retreat from a dead tree that broke off and decided it had to try to hurt me. Good think I know to look up and retreat after the tree lifts up. That's the first time I've had the cover off since I bought it. Stihl went out of there way to rid the saw of vibration. If any of you guys have one pull the top cover you'll see what I'm talking about.

a tool is a tool? it don't get any simpler than a hammer, not to let it rust or bang harder metals then it's intended for.... your tool's(saw]s making you pay check) is a different kinda tool for dependence ! it's working only if it's taken care of correctly, safely and efficiently with proper care! I wouldn't run my truck for 10,000 miles without an oil change, would you? a tool is only as good as it's operator!

We're, Loggers! That's why this thread is in the Logging section. I don't do the CAD, hobby stuff, keep it all nifty. There's a reason I spend 1300 on a saw - so I don't have to baby it.
We work em hard and repair and replace em when needed.

We're, Loggers! That's why this thread is in the Logging section. I don't do the CAD, hobby stuff, keep it all nifty. There's a reason I spend 1300 on a saw - so I don't have to baby it.
We work em hard and repair and replace em when needed.
well.........i may have a little cad.......over 20 saws here lol. i do use um though, nothing sits long.

That hair trigger chain brake is actually a good thing. It means it can still be activated by inertia and save your life in the event of a true high speed kick back. If you can drop your saw on the ground and the chain brake doesn't activate, then it's probably not going to do you much good in a kickback situation. Yeah it's true that once they get clogged up with muck they're less sensitive, and some are so stiff they might as well be made of wood. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a chain brake though.

Well it's still annoying.

In my opinion, if it was supposed to be inertia based, it wouldn't have the big cow catcher to hit your forearm on the way back.
I'm going to let mine gum up a bit.

once every couple weeks I'll clean around the clutch and grease the clutch bearing, try to get the air filter every day or so, otherwise it rides in the back with the rigging and grease guns...

I will wipe off the bar mounts and what not every fresh chain, and try to get the bar rails wiped out... but not if I'm in a hurry.

Yea mike had a 8 in locust try and play hell on my day. Sling shotted rite back at me. I'm on a 150 acre tract that was cut 18" and up 12 years ago. Fun size timber to cut but thicker than thick with re growth. Were doing 12" and bigger 18" and bigger on the hemlock. Looked like it ravaged my saw but once i got it tore down it was only the mount that is fastened to the cylinder that was broke. Boy did have the saw torqued something awful until i took it apart. I think the sitting mounts really helped in that situation.

Yea mike had a 8 in locust try and play hell on my day. Sling shotted rite back at me. I'm on a 150 acre tract that was cut 18" and up 12 years ago. Fun size timber to cut but thicker than thick with re growth. Were doing 12" and bigger 18" and bigger on the hemlock. Looked like it ravaged my saw but once i got it tore down it was only the mount that is fastened to the cylinder that was broke. Boy did have the saw torqued something awful until i took it apart. I think the sitting mounts really helped in that situation.

you be care full Colton, them pecker poles will get ya.

I'm telling you mike I'd likely not be able to respond from home tonight it would be from a hospital bed. I ended up on my back with the bastard bouncing about 4 feet from my feet.......a aka where my saw was. Luckily my dealer is pulling me a mount off a shelf saw to get me going for tomorrow.

I don't want to have to change the way I cut for a saw. That and I wonder how that carb would take to porting. The 661 I'm talking about.

Colton I'm cuttin one with a lot of regen too. Wind blown snags and vines everywhere. Some woods you just need to keep an eye on more than others. I've been knocked on my ass more than once. Good thing you and the saw are good.

Parked it for the day today after about 8 large trees. Oiler was not oiling hardly at all. Maxed out on the adjuster it was only putting about 1/3 of the oil tank per 1 tank of fuel. Chain was pretty dry.

Good news was, I walked into the dealer with it at the end of the day and he tore into it right then. Cleaned everything, nothing looked amiss, put it all back together, started oiling.

We'll see how she does tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back