Falling Death

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Domino falling while alone.

Printer friendly version of the post below
Toledo man killed in logging incident
Friday, January 17, 2014 at 9:07 am
Updated at 12:09 p.m.
By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter
A 63-year-old Toledo man is dead after a logging accident yesterday afternoon about four miles east of Toledo.
It appeared he was working alone when a tree fell on him, according to Lewis County Fire District 2.
“My understanding is the deceased was overdue and a relative or relatives went to the job site and found him,” Fire Chief Grant Wiltbank said.
The Lewis County Sheriff’s Office said it occurred between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. yesterday in a wooded area at the 200 block of Maw Road. Firefighters, medics and deputies responded to the call at 5 p.m.
The Lewis County Coroner’s Office identifies him as Alex Oberg.
Sheriff’s spokesperson Sgt. Rob Snaza said it appeared the victim was employing a “domino” tree falling technique in which saw cuts were made to multiple trees in order to create a cascade of falling trees.
Wind gusts may have caused some to fall while he was cutting others, Snaza said.
The state Department of Labor and Industries and the coroner’s office are conducting investigations, according to Snaza.
Coroner Warren McLeod said an autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow, but there is no reason to think it was anything other than an accident.

Sad. I bet the man had set that scenario up a hundred times or more, just didn't work out. Another unfortunate late in the day (for timber falling) incident.

I don't know about doing it solo as stupid, but condolences to him. Every one of us has gotten into some **** now and again. You can have everything set up just right and it can still get hairy. There is a fair amount of luck and faith every time. Faith that you've got it cut up right and luck that you've gotten the **** outta there!

its more dangerous alone because an injury can turn into a death because nobody is there to make that call, or cut off that stem, or what have you. can't stop bleeding to death if you're unconscious.
Thanks for sharing.

I hate to sound like a safety nazi cause you all know I'm totally not, pushing one tree is unavoidable at times, Hel I did it yesterday, but from the sounds of it dude had a whole pile of em lined up, which is silly and dangerous. Once again I'm sorry if I'm coming of as an ass... well more than usual

Domino falling while alone.

Printer friendly version of the post below
Toledo man killed in logging incident

Sheriff’s spokesperson Sgt. Rob Snaza said it appeared the victim was employing a “domino” tree falling technique in which saw cuts were made to multiple trees in order to create a cascade of falling trees.
Wind gusts may have caused some to fall while he was cutting others, Snaza said.

All we have so far for information is the opinion of a sheriff's spokesman. He might not know much about falling. Why not wait until we know more, and find out what really happened before we start putting all the blame on the faller?
After the formal investigation we'll have a better idea of what caused the death. I wouldn't want a bunch of arm chair experts and poorly informed civil servants judging me if I was that faller. Would you?
I've dominoed trees when I had to and I'll probably do it again. There are things you can do and things that you'd better not even try but the situation, the risk, and the rewards, change with every tree .

well said Jabuol, i'v done it you all have done it. we do need to realize our own personal limitations. and I wouldn't do it with a partner. very sorry to hear of this fatality. thoughts and prayers.

As far as we know this dude may have been makin firewood. There was a story similar to this around here. The "logger" had been killed when a tree fell on him. Turned out he was makin 16 inch logs. Unless I'm doing some kind of pine thinning, I've really only every lined about three of em up. I'd say I knock one over with another one on a bi-monthly or quarterly basis. Not real often. Dangerous yes, stupid, well... It all depends on who is running the saw!

More....

News brief: Memorial fund established for Toledo man Alex Oberg
Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 8:48 pm
By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter
A donation account has been set up for the family of Toledo resident Alex Oberg, the 63-year-old who lost his life falling trees last week.
Diane Wallace, the longtime business manager of Lewis County Fire District 2, said the numerous phone calls and inquiries about what might be done prompted her to visit Timberland Bank on Friday.
“When something like that happens, such a tragedy, so sudden, in your small town, it helps for people who want to help,” Wallace said. “They just want to do something.”
And, it will help with any expenses that arise with the loss of the long time community member, according to Wallace.
Oberg was working alone on Thursday cutting timber for a property owner on the 200 block of Maw Road when a tree fell on him. The Lewis County Sheriff’s Office said he was employing a “domino” tree falling technique in which saw cuts had been made to multiple trees.
As expected, the Lewis County coroner concluded it was an accident. Oberg died from multiple internal injuries due to blunt impact to his head and chest, Coroner Warren McLeod said on Saturday.

Back